edited 5 September 2018 at 9:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
202 replies 48.6K views

Replies

• GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    13K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lilyplonk wrote: »
    omg, Grey Queen - no offence taken and none intended by my reply either :D.

Apologetic HSarmhugs_9780.gif for perhaps causing misunderstanding :).

My 'mad face' was at the Council for abandoning our Food Waste Collection Scheme .................... I was totally peed off with them AND I let them know it too :o:o!
    (((lilyplonk))) hugs back atcha, was so worried I'd caused offense, it's hard to get the tone sometimes online.......
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ArilAril Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth finding out if any of your local charities collect things to raise money. I've always had no problem getting rid of the plastic tops from milk containers which can't go through our doorstep recycling scheme by offering them on freecycle. We also have a local charity which collects toothbrushes, biscuit wrappers and other eclectic items. I can drop them off in one go when I'm in town and can walk there. On another note old towels can be cut up and made into flannels and old duvets I find once again are often snapped up on freecycle by local dog owners or pet rescue places. Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Winter_PhoenixWinter_Phoenix Forumite
    287 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    When new neighbours move into the street, they usually seem to put out their removal boxes for the recycling collection (which is often a day or more late here, so the boxes get ruined if it rains). I now collect any which are in good condition, and put them on Freecycle. I've never been stuck with boxes for more than a few days - there's always someone moving house who is really grateful for them!
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
  • kboss2010kboss2010 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Aril wrote: »
    It's worth finding out if any of your local charities collect things to raise money. I've always had no problem getting rid of the plastic tops from milk containers which can't go through our doorstep recycling scheme by offering them on freecycle. We also have a local charity which collects toothbrushes, biscuit wrappers and other eclectic items. I can drop them off in one go when I'm in town and can walk there. On another note old towels can be cut up and made into flannels and old duvets I find once again are often snapped up on freecycle by local dog owners or pet rescue places. Arilx

Just FYI for anyone who hates throwing bottle tops away, Lush (the really fragrant soap shop on many high streets) collect them to make their little black moisturiser pots :) I usually collect mine in a small plastic bag then, when it's full, I take it to my local shop. Sometimes I'll get a free bath bomb if the staff are feeling particularly friendly that day :D
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" :D ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there :p
    ~ Lifehouse
  • Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
    9.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great ideas everyone and thank you so much for posting up those photos Ilona, they're fab!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: [email protected]
  • ZeroWasteWeekZeroWasteWeek Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    67 Posts
    skeeter93 wrote: »
    I have learned so many things in the last year, and while saving money and reducing clutter, our rubbish output seems the same. It's on my list of things to work on.

I'd love to know what coleslaw crisp is!

It sounds like you are doing a lot already, so I'd suggest a waste audit. Yep, time to pull on those rubber gloves and see for certain what is going into the bin. Then you can pick just one more thing to work on reducing, reusing or finding an alternative product for.

Is that something you'd be up for?

Glad you are enjoying the reusable cloths and good luck with the house declutter :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of ZeroWasteWeek. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected]"
  • ZeroWasteWeekZeroWasteWeek Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    67 Posts
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I have a shopping bag (Doy bag) bought from Hoxfam trading years ago which was made in the Phillipines by a womens co-operative from juice sachets. I have to say that I have never worn or carried anything in my nearly 50 years which is such a conversation-starter. Complete strangers come up and want to know where it was from, cashiers always remark on it.

Us too! And they make me smile because they're so bright and cheerful! I'm sure catfood sachets would be ideal if you can get them clean enough - would they survive the dishwasher I wonder?

The training session at work sounds amazing. Where do you work? I'd love to have the opportunity to talk to you about this - with the possibility of sharing the story on my site...

Let me know about the waste transfer station trip - I'm not sure where you are but I might be able to help you with contacts if you don't already have some :)
    I am the official organisation representative of ZeroWasteWeek. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected]"
    67 Posts
    Mojisola wrote: »
    My OH takes a bag with him whenever he goes for a walk and collects the cans and bottles he finds along the way which then get recycled through our collection boxes and the local area is all the nicer for it.

LOVE that :T I'm a wuss when it comes to collecting other people's dirty stuff from the kerbside but I totally admire people who do it. I should really pull on my big girl pants and just do it, right?!
    67 Posts
    Lilyplonk wrote: »
    I'd love to get involved with some kind of Recycling Training/Crafts etc - wish our local authority were doing something similar :(.

Would love to visit a local Recycling Plant :D.

If any of you are in West London, I can arrange that for you at the Harrow plant ;)

Good luck with the composting - hey, you sort out the worm fear and I'll start picking up other people's rubbish from the pavements and recycling it - let's bust through this! :eek:

If you're passionate about it, why not set up a local upcycling workshop? I'm sure you'd be great :)
    67 Posts
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Can I just take a moment to tell people that rinsing bottles and washing containers really does count, as the fewer contaminants in the waste stream, the better the price for the goods.

Thank you - it's really worth knowing and sharing again as I think people wonder about the effort they go to and whether it's worth it.
    Feeling all warm 'n' fuzzy again :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News