Zero Waste Week - tell us your best upcycling and re-use tips

edited 5 September 2018 at 9:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
202 replies 48.6K views

Replies

• ArilAril Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I use microfibre cloths for all my cleaning and washing up so I don't have j cloths to throw away. Old clothes are also pressed into service as rags.
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • ZeroWasteWeekZeroWasteWeek Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    67 Posts
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    A small word of caution, tho. When you are ready to iron, be sure to hold the interfacing up to the light. One side will be matte, the other side a bit shiny. The shiny bit is the adhesive. Get the iron on that side instead of the back and you will have a lovely sticky mess on the sole plate.

Haha! You know me too well already. I shall take your tip on board - thank you!:rotfl:
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of ZeroWasteWeek. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected]"
  • ZeroWasteWeekZeroWasteWeek Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    67 Posts
    tru wrote: »
    I can't PM you! You won't remember me anyway :D I nominated you for a blog award and you broke the rules by only nominating seven people instead of ten :p:D

Ahhhh, ok - your name begins with T? And you used to have a blog with Molly in the title?;) Do you blog somewhere else now so I can catch up with your adventures?
    I am the official organisation representative of ZeroWasteWeek. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected]"
    67 Posts
    jlhmd666 wrote: »
    After peeling potatoes the other day I brushed the skins with oil (both sides), placed them on a rack, added salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and placed in the oven until crisp. Saved throwing them out and the kids enjoyed them with a salsa dip :)

Oh that sounds lovely - and just the sort of thing a restaurant would charge you a fiver for! Brilliant tip - thanks for sharing. I wonder if I could do them on my woodburner in the winter ;)
    67 Posts
    We had a stern letter from our local authority a while back, because we don't usually put out our brown food waste bin.

:eek: Oh my; does that really happen? We use our food caddy to store the chicken feed in! Reminds me of the time I joyfully invited the TV license people into my house - they looked shocked and frightened - they just didn't 'get' that anyone in this day and age could NOT have a TV and they tiptoed in and stuck their head around the lounge door - they didn't even go in, so I could have had one on the wall behind the door :D

Is there any way I can find out more about your business without you breaking the rules of self promotion? I'd love to learn more about what you do; it sounds like you have lots to teach people :)
    67 Posts
    Ilona wrote: »
    Just a few of the things I make with my rubbish. I collect all kinds of things that people would normally throw away, to use in my art and craft work. I like to find a second and even a third use for things. Too much is thrown into landfill.
    Ilona

Oh my goodness - you are SO talented and creative. I'm in awe of you! Love the credit card key fobs and the ten bags you made. Genius - thanks so much for the inspiration; you're making me rethink 'rubbish' big style :T
  • IlonaIlona Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh my goodness - you are SO talented and creative. I'm in awe of you! Love the credit card key fobs and the ten bags you made. Genius - thanks so much for the inspiration; you're making me rethink 'rubbish' big style :T

Hi. If you want to think about rubbish big style, think about the amount of trade waste that goes to landfill. Household rubbish is just a fraction of that. I was a volunteer for a Scrapstore, I visited factories which manufactured something, and begged to look through their skips to recover items that could be used for teaching and crafting purposes. It was skip diving on a big scale and I loved it.

Plastics, wood, fabric, wood, paper, cardboard, paint, wallpaper, tiles, anything. When I arrived I asked if I could look in their skip to recover things to recycle and reuse. The answer I always got was, oh it's only rubbish. When they directed me to a skip, at my insistence, I said, this isn't rubbish, it can be used.

By recovering it from the skip it meant that they didn't have to pay for the skip to be taken away as often, therefore saving them money.

Our local Scrapstore sadly closed down because we lost the use of the building, but there is a fantastic one at Hull which I use sometimes. Google it. In my opinion every town should have a Scrapstore, every piece of so called rubbish should be sorted and be made available to those who want to make something with it. Some of my artwork involves broken car body panels which I get from a car repair place. With a bit of imagination virtually every bit of rubbish can be used again.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • LilyplonkLilyplonk Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    :)......... If you're not sure why your bin got rejected, do call the council and ask. ..........

It wasn't just my Food Waste, Grey Queen, it was the entire Food Waste Recycling Scheme that was abandoned :mad:.

Personally, I thought it was 'the best thing since sliced bread' - I even continued to buy the bags from A$da when they reduced costs by stopping the supply of the free ones :(.

I think the rest of our recycling scheme works fine for me.

My DD's local authority have the most complicated system for Recycling that I've ever seen with collections on different days of the week - it's almost designed to put people off doing it. They have so many bags/boxes that get soaked - or blown away -in bad weather!
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    13K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :( Hi lilyplonk, I wasn't commenting on your council's scheme being abandoned or casting nasturtiums against you or any individual, just giving a general comment. Hope I haven't caused offense.:(

My fingers are itching to get some of those catfood pouches now, although the ones the folks feed their mogs aren't as pretty as those ones Ilona has used. But I want to have an experimundo with them anyway.

I used to go regularly to a scrapstore, now sadly long since history, andfor the same reasons as the one in Ilona's area; the non-profit sector really struggles with buildings. It was a fantastic place, full of teachers and children's craft providers cooing with delight. The potential of so much stuff which would have otherwise been trashed was incredible. I loved going there.

Y'know, coming past the communal bins at my block of flats, I was itching to get in there and sort stuff; the general waste bins are full of things which belong in the recycling bins right beside them. It's not hard to recycle here, but so many CBA. And then the bins which are on a two-weekly collection runneth over and side-waste piles up and makes the place look unsightly. *sigh*

Mind you, if I started, I'd never stop, but I might glove-up and get some of those glass bottles into the bottle bank from where they've been dumped. It's all of 2 yards away but obviously too much for the original owner of them......:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • LilyplonkLilyplonk Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    :( Hi lilyplonk, I wasn't commenting on your council's scheme being abandoned or casting nasturtiums against you or any individual, just giving a general comment. Hope I haven't caused offense.:( .........

omg, Grey Queen - no offence taken and none intended by my reply either :D.

Apologetic HSarmhugs_9780.gif for perhaps causing misunderstanding :).

My 'mad face' was at the Council for abandoning our Food Waste Collection Scheme .................... I was totally peed off with them AND I let them know it too :o:o!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News