I've been a massive fool...My planet UK Solar.

Options

Comments

• pw22
    pw22 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't believe that any company can still try to charge £9k for a 2.5 system. If you are interested in solar, then there are some details on recent quotes which posters have been provided with in the green section.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Crunch came ...just under £9k for 2.5kW system to be installed, sign now ......

This is simply getting insane. My 2kWp extension cost £4.1k back in 2012. I paid extra for a SolarEdge system to deal with shading issues so probably directly comparable with an ordinary 2.5kWp system. And PV prices have tumbled since then.

Some folk are paying less than £5k for 4kWp systems now.

Please, please, please contact RECC and give them the full story. See my post #85 for more details, or section 13 of the PV FAQs that I recently added.

Thanks.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For consistency, and hopefully so RECC keep reading these stories, here's a post from the Green & Ethical board. Same dodgy numbers, with income figures probably twice what is actually possible for a southish install.
    mwddrwg wrote: »
    Hi all,

Had a visit yesterday from the myplanet rep for our area with a view to getting solar panels for our property. We're going for the finance option to pay for it but the amounts involved are scary!
    :eek:

In summary, we have a large detached house, southeast-northwest facing (roughly) and have room for 16 panels altogether. We use up to around 6000kW/h per year (which is a lot, I know) so that's why he recommends getting the full array of 16 panels to make it worth it.

The finance quoted is £100 deposit now with a loan for £10,099 over 10 years, paying £130 per month. They estimate we would get back about £113 per month (paid quarterly) whilst paying our current supplier e.on an amount of around £25/month for evening and night use. We pay them around £80 per month already.

What's scaring me is the additional outlay above the £80 per month we pay now whilst not getting the 'income' from the system every month (every quarter).

Is this an extortionate price or should I be knocking this on the head before we've had the survey?

Appreciate any advice/comments. Thank you :)

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • chrisM3
    chrisM3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 April 2015 at 4:24PM
    Options
    Had one of their sales reps around today. The quote I was given was £7695 for 16 x 250w Solar World panels. They also said they would include some sort of immersion heater for our hotwater tank, which would allow for our heating to also be driven by the solar.

This doesn't seem nearly as bad as some of the other quotes I have seen in this thread.
    What I would like to know is how far off is their quote.

As our house is 3 stories any installer would need to use scaffolding. I am also happy to pay a bit extra for quality. Could someone please one give me a rough estimate as to what I can expect to pay for a similar system. We are based in Swindon btw.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    chrisM3 wrote: »
    Could someone please one give me a rough estimate as to what I can expect to pay for a similar system. We are based in Swindon btw.

Welcome to the forum.

You would be best going to the Green and Ethical section of this MSE forum, that is where all the up to date information can be found; including prices for new installations.

It would appear that they are quoting at least £2,000 more than the current price for a 4kWp system.
  • Skyboy
    Options
    MyPlanet are clearly from the same stable as used car salesmen, double glazing, and fake stone cladding sales. Their sales scripts even include nice little anti-foreigner jokes to appeal to the bigotry of their simple minded target market.
    Their solar panels are "German made. Germans aren't good for much but they make good technology."
    imgur.com/B7NFsDf
  • BelindaS
    Options
    Just had a cold call from My Planet on my mobile. Apparently, subject to a survey which would only take 10mins (really?) I could have a 4kw system, worth £10,500 for free. When I said I wasn't interested and I didn't believe it was free, the guy got quite aggressive and ended up saying he hoped I enjoyed spending all my money!
  • sjfdata-mail
    Options
    These people rang me last week offering government perks etc - agreed to see them tonight (with my father present as I live on my own). The appointment was for 6pm, phone goes just after 5.30 wants to check my postcode as his sat nav is giving two options (me and a village a couple of miles away) says he has been delayed in a town I know that will be at least an hour away because of traffic at this time of night and he says he will be here in just over half an hour! No chance - wanted to know if he can still come - told him no, also I was told someone would be coming from a different place to me anyway. Asked for details to be emailed to me - as yet no emails and after reading this will not be arranging another visit by them.

Thanks for all the posts
  • rob61_2
    Options
    i too have fallen for the trick with My Planet the cost was £10399 for 16 panels 4kw system....
    the rep called and i was not going to sign up for them but she was very good at informing me that they would pay for themselves in 10 year,,,i did explain i was only on a small pension and did not have any spare money,but she told me that the system would pay for itself,so after a long period of talking i did sign up...she took a £500 deposit and i signed up to there credit agreement this was on the Thursday..i did not sleep very well thinking i had signed up and with a payback of £16374.80 and if i cancelled i would also have to pay a 2.63% fee on the loan as well as losing my £500 deposit what ever happened to the 7 day cooling off period..So on the Monday i rang to cancel the loan..i borrowed the money from else where and for paying cash they not off £200..whow what a con...any way the panels are fitted and working but my roof is leaking,,contacted My Planet 3 times now and still waiting for some one to sort this problems..again these panels where fitted by 2 polish guys with just a ladder ,,whats happened to health and safety these days...
    i would defo not have used My Plant if i had read the comments on this site first.....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rob61 wrote: »
    i too have fallen for the trick with My Planet the cost was £10399 for 16 panels 4kw system....
    the rep called and i was not going to sign up for them but she was very good at informing me that they would pay for themselves in 10 year,,,i did explain i was only on a small pension and did not have any spare money,but she told me that the system would pay for itself,so after a long period of talking i did sign up...she took a £500 deposit and i signed up to there credit agreement this was on the Thursday..i did not sleep very well thinking i had signed up and with a payback of £16374.80 and if i cancelled i would also have to pay a 2.63% fee on the loan as well as losing my £500 deposit what ever happened to the 7 day cooling off period..So on the Monday i rang to cancel the loan..i borrowed the money from else where and for paying cash they not off £200..whow what a con...any way the panels are fitted and working but my roof is leaking,,contacted My Planet 3 times now and still waiting for some one to sort this problems..again these panels where fitted by 2 polish guys with just a ladder ,,whats happened to health and safety these days...
    i would defo not have used My Plant if i had read the comments on this site first.....

Have a read of the RECC Code. Your deposit of £500 was refundable:

https://www.recc.org.uk/scheme/consumer-code#tag6.3

If I were you, I would have a chat with either Trading Standards or Citizens Advice,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure