IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Minerva Security Limited, Whitehall Square Appts, Belfast

Options

Comments

• bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    or two hours if the wind is in the other direction. An angle grinder might be quicker.

Anyone who takes 2 hours over it hasn't a clue what they're doing and shouldn't have started the job in the first place!

And someone that clueless shouldn't go anywhere near an angle grinder unless they like hospital food!
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    Anyone who takes 2 hours over it hasn't a clue what they're doing and shouldn't have started the job in the first place!

And someone that clueless shouldn't go anywhere near an angle grinder unless they like hospital food!

They aren't nicknamed ankle grinders for nothing after all. :eek:
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • SevenTowers
    Options
    Another victim of Minerva has come forward on CAG, I am sure we will have others joining us.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797).
  • SevenTowers
    Options
    Just by way of an update, several clamping victims have already come forward, we are in the process of getting an owner's lease scrutinised by legal experts. Once the legal position is clarified the victims affected will each start the legal process to reclaim their money from Minerva/Whitehall Square Management Company.

If any other Whitehall victims are reading this, please add a message to this thread.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797).
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Great work ST.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • SoBeas
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm a new owner here at whitehall square. I think before you get your big guns out someone ought to talk to CSM. Just like you shouldn't bring your neighbor to court before you actually tell them you don't like their fence, it's always preferable to deal out of court.

I was provided with minutes from previous meetings and the parking enforcement has been discussed before - but I have not seen a decision taken or it put up to vote. I suggest we ask for an urgent general assembly, show up and make them change their mind. My concern is that we are probably paying for that 'service' too. Some people do have legitimate concerns when their parking spot is being used by someone else and there has been less cars in the parking since they have started clamping cars - but I agree that it was done quite aggressively. We should have a way to mitigate those concerns.

Also I wouldn't personally temper with the clamps because if someone parks mistakenly in my spot I am not allowed to damage their cars because they are parked in my property.
  • SevenTowers
    Options
    Hello SoBeas, Welcome to the debate
    SoBeas wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm a new owner here at whitehall square. I think before you get your big guns out someone ought to talk to CSM. Just like you shouldn't bring your neighbor to court before you actually tell them you don't like their fence, it's always preferable to deal out of court.
    Before any court claim can be initiated, the parties must attempt to find a resolution, going to court should always be a last resort, in fact the court will not allow proceedings to start until there is evidence of attempted resolution. It will be no different in this case, when the legal situation is clarified, the first approach will be a formal letter to WS Management via their agent, CSM. I would certainly hope that there will be no need to involve the courts, time will tell.
    I was provided with minutes from previous meetings and the parking enforcement has been discussed before - but I have not seen a decision taken or it put up to vote. I suggest we ask for an urgent general assembly, show up and make them change their mind. My concern is that we are probably paying for that 'service' too..
    Great, please request an urgent general assembly. I have a lot sympathy for the directors of WWS Management Company. I own an apt in a different site where about half of the properties are rented out. I am the only landlord who even bothers to turn up for the AGM, 1 hour a year. It is always the faithful few that turn up and take on the responsibilities of managing the site, while the lazy majority sit back and let somebody else do the work. I have no doubt that the WS directors are well intended individuals who have magnanimously stepped forward to fill these roles, unpaid.
    Some people do have legitimate concerns when their parking spot is being used by someone else and there has been less cars in the parking since they have started clamping cars - but I agree that it was done quite aggressively. We should have a way to mitigate those concerns..
    I have a friend who owns aparking space in WS, he has told me that usually there are between 20 and 40 empty spaces throughout the car park. He has on occasion returned to find somebody else in his space, he deals with this by parking in another space, leaving a note apologising to the space owner, explaing the situation and leaving the a note on the car parked in his space asking the driver not to steal his space, without fail this approach has worked, and the offending driver has never used the space again. At worst this has been a temporary inconvenience, easily dealt with.

If space owners want to authorise the WS management company to bring in a wheel clamping firm to clamp in their space, then that is the right of the the space owner, at least until NI falls into line with the rest of the UK and criminalises wheel clamping. However, what the WS management company cannot do, is to tell a wheel clamping company to clamp vehicles in privately owned spaces where the owners have not given their express authority for such an arrangement.

What has upset so many people is that their vehicles were clamped in spaces that they lawfully own or rent. CSM have shown no willingness to help people who have been victims of this extortion, despite being in this up to their necks. In bringing a wheel clamping company they are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Of course Minerva have shown no scrupples whatsover and milked the situation to their considerable financial advantage.

It is for good reason that clamping has been criminalised in England, Scotland and Wales, there are much better ways to manage parking.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Also I wouldn't personally temper with the clamps because if someone parks mistakenly in my spot I am not allowed to damage their cars because they are parked in my property.

Pah. There's a world of difference between someone parking in your parking space and someone immobilising your vehicle on your own property. If someone came onto my private property and clamped my car that clamp would be in pieces quicker than you could say "angle grinder". And if that's criminal damage then I'll happily explain my position to the magistrate too.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • s3rk
    Options
    I was provided with minutes from previous meetings and the parking enforcement has been discussed before - but I have not seen a decision taken or it put up to vote. I suggest we ask for an urgent general assembly, show up and make them change their mind. My concern is that we are probably paying for that 'service' too. Some people do have legitimate concerns when their parking spot is being used by someone else and there has been less cars in the parking since they have started clamping cars - but I agree that it was done quite aggressively. We should have a way to mitigate those concerns.
    I'm all for this and would gladly attend any meetings.
  • SevenTowers
    Options
    Here is a clamping story with a happy outcome :j

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=91597
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport