Extension On Terrace House

Options
Hi we have a small terrace house that we would dearly love to extend, as we really like the house and can not afford to move to something bigger that offers as much.

The extension we are considering would build on top of the kitchen, which is currently a single story, and make it the full height of the house. We would also widen this area as well, as presently it is the 3.5 feet narrower than the rest of the house. So effectively we are squaring off a corner and adding an upstairs to it.

This is all very straight forward except it requires building on the party wall which would result in a wall that my neighbour will then see from their upstairs window (the centre line of the window would be about 5 feet from the wall). The wall will project outwards towards the garden 10 feet.

I know this will probably not please my neighbours – but how will the planning office feel about it?

This also means we will need to remove a chimney breast to access the new extension. The chimney breast is also on the party wall and mirrors one the neighbour has. They still use their chimney so we would need to leave the stack in place. Is this possible?

The house is about 150 years old…

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Probably better posted in this part of the forum
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39
  • microkid
    Options
    thanks - how can i move it!?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just talk to your local planning office. They are there to help.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    You can't move it, but the Board Guide for Consumer Rights can..........
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    microkid wrote: »
    I know this will probably not please my neighbours – but how will the planning office feel about it?

Follow Neilmcl's suggestion... ask your planning department what they think of your proposal.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Be aware that you'll almost certainly need planning permission. And as part of the application process all affected neighbours will be asked for their views. (And this doesn't just mean your immediate neighbour - it also means all neighbours within a certain radius of your property who may be affected by the plans, particularly those with line-of-sight).

Any objections to the plans will be taken into account when assessing whether to grant permission.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It might not be as straight forwards as you think. One thing to consider other than planning/neighbour issues is whether the foundations of the single story extension is adequate to build a second story on (if that is what you are thinking), or will it need rebuilding from scratch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure