In What Order Do I Switch Broadband Providers?

Options
Ok so I'm going to be moving from Sky to TalkTalk for phone and broadband (was originally a Bethere customer then jumped to sky early for the deal, but that deal is now over).

Now I've read lots of horror stories about Sky when trying to cancel (maybe that's just TV), but when I go through the TalkTalk checkout process (just shy of confirming) they basically say they'll be sorting it, and seem to suggest that I won't even need a MAC code.

So do I even have to contact Sky or is this some kind of streamlined process?

All the guides around the web seem to state "don't cancel your current provider" because that will delay things.

Soooo what exactly would I be contacting Sky about if it's not to cancel?

Just a bit confused about what order things go in. Do I cancel Sky then order TalkTalk, do I order TalkTalk and then cancel Sky, do TalkTalk switch things over automatically and then I just cancel the billing side of things with Sky later?

Also how are final bills calculated? If I just paid my most recent bill is that in advance of the service or for the service just used? In which case would I be getting 2 bills relatively close together and maybe even negating any savings?

I like the idea of TalkTalks £100 voucher for signing up, perhaps I'll sell it to recoup any final bill annoyances.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Comments

• allyssa
    allyssa Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm interested in what the replies are, because we're in the same boat.

I just switched (broadband & phone) from BT to Tesco. We have had a date 1st Sep for when new Tesco service will start but I'm not sure when to contact BT and cancel?
  • jennyjen
    jennyjen Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, I find it quite confusing. Any insight from anyone who has changed providers before would be much appreciated.

Some say if you don't use a MAC you could get some random fee later on.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    It isn't a random fee it's the ISP passing on an Openreach charge for disconnecting the broadband wiring.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/internet/broadband-switching/switching-broadband-provider/

That assumes you will be writing - in practice you can use the phone.
  • jennyjen
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    It isn't a random fee it's the ISP passing on an Openreach charge for disconnecting the broadband wiring.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/internet/broadband-switching/switching-broadband-provider/

That assumes you will be writing - in practice you can use the phone.

Right thanks, but if an ISP suggests you don't need a MAC, is it possible you still do and get burned later on? I guess the only way to know will be to talk to TalkTalk directly, though I'm still confused about when I should be contacting Sky if at all.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Ask Sky for a MAC first and you'll have it if TalkTalk request it. After you've signed up with TT and got your date call Sky and tell them what you've done and give the date you'll be transfered. Expect to paysome overlap time. There should be no disconnection charge from Sky but make certain that is so by checking with TT

Be aware that TT just recently increased their line saver charge and will probably be following that with an increase to the standard monthly line charge.
  • jennyjen
    Options
    Ok sounds good, I'll give it a shot.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sky to TT is presumably an LLU to LLU transfer so may not be possible unless you have a new line provisioned. TT are not capable of doing a direct transfer.
    Subject to that, you obtain your MAC from Sky (don't give notice, because that invalidates the MAC), and sign up with TT within 30 days. Once you have your switch date from TT, contact Sky to confirm that date and check that notice has been given.
    Cancel the Sky DD after you receive the final bill.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport