I want a boyfriend! Dating debtfree style?

Options

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    How much other communication have you had with him?

Your cancellation may have said to him he has to appear extra keen, because yes, women do play games like that...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • JonnyH
    JonnyH Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Only just saw this thread. :D Intresting how many of you have found your partners online! Guess its more common than i realised.
    I met my american girlfriend in a music forum also like someone said on the first page, travelled across the globe to see her a couple of years later and it all went pretty perfectly. :j

Also Gemmzie sorry to butt in but just caught part of your conversation and im not suprised you were put off by the lad. Sounds to desperate and seriously...no reasonable man is gonna expect a girl hes never even met to come over to his house for a movie or to meet up somewhere in a carpark, who does that???:rotfl:Nutjob probably.
  • Lucy1982_2
    Lucy1982_2 Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Gem

I would be careful with that one, sounds a little iffy to me. If you do decide to meet him try a busy cafe or your local if you have one. Somewhere that people know you and would help if you needed it (not that you might)

Have fun x
    Current debt - £16,300 :(
    Debt at worst 17/03/2011 - £18,067.62:eek::eek:
    :ANot going anywhere else, ever again :A
  • yeovilmac
    yeovilmac Posts: 397 Forumite
    Options
    Gemmzie wrote: »
    Evening, I'm no longer so keen on this online dating malarkey. Am I weird to be put off by a guy that's really keen?

I think the general rule of thumb is to meet in a public place and get a friend to ring you after an hour or so on the pretence that you're needed elsewhere if things are going wrong. If everything's going fine then make something up.

To be fair, if the bloke is reasonable then he shouldn't have any problems with you telling it like it is.

So when are we going out Gemmzie? I thought maybe we could have lunch at the Galleries in Bristol followed by an afternoon spent down by the harbourside supping coffees and tasting their delicious rock cakes ( yummy as hell ) then maybe off for a spot of bowling in the evening.

Not too keen am I? :rotfl: :D
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Well hello, my little on-line dating chums...

Any news? Any successes? Any failures? Any gossip?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • sho_me_da_money
    Options
    Im not too sure about this online dating thing.

Im sure it can work as proven on this board but i dunno man - people can be one way on here and another in real life.

If i was to take a liking to someone online, this is what id do next:

*Buy some flowers
    *Tell the babe ill meet here in the town centre
    *Tell her id be wearing a yellow t-shirt but id really wear a red one
    *Ask her what she will be wearing
    *Get to town early and look from a distance
    *Check the time and look out for what she's wearing, if she's a babe and looks like the person in the pic she sent you then walk over, hand her the flowers, hug and pinch her batty crease.
    *If she's a minger and not a blinger and turns out to be someone who has aged 10 years since her pic, turn away, go home, make some philadelphia light sandwiches and give the flowers to my mum - she'll think im a top son.
    *If she trys to pull the same stunt and wears something other to what she described, id call her mobile and watch who picks up from a reasonable distance.

Bobs your Mums Brother! You know i got it sussed out.

Honestly though, i wouldnt do online dating, i need to find a good religious person in church.
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    *Check the time and look out for what she's wearing, if she's a babe and looks like the person in the pic she sent you then walk over, hand her the flowers, hug and pinch her batty crease.
    *If she's a minger and not a blinger and turns out to be someone who has aged 10 years since her pic, turn away, go home, make some philadelphia light sandwiches and give the flowers to my mum - she'll think im a top son.

cos she's not gonna run when she sees you...;)
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Aug  35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2400/7000

Mortgage balance: £52212

• sho_me_da_money
    Options
    Hell no!

The last time i saw myself i was quite dapper!
  • heppy23
    heppy23 Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just my 2p worth. It's hard dating in London. As well as everything being more expensive everyone is super busy just doing London things.

I got dumped by Louise who I thought was "the one". Took a long time to get over her, and any subsequent prospective dates got compared to her.

Had a bit of a thing with a lovely lovely girl I met on a music forum. We got on great but there was an age gap and we were just doing such different things at the time (she was at Uni and I was just keeping my head down working).

Moved up North and didn't really meet anyone out and about.
    I was the only fella working with about 6 women in a small department. They were all great but firmly attached. They got sick of me moaning about being single. So they helped me find a date. One day of them told me a particular girl was single. She was divorced and had had a few disastrous relationships since. I'd had my eye on her for a long time and once I'd told my subconscious she wasn't Louise (and never would be) I agreed to try a date. One of the girls approached her on my behalf ("What would you say if heppy23 asked you out" - I love blunt, to the point Yorkshire women!).
    There was a positive response so I asked her out.
    We met at a quiet country pub halfway between the two towns where we lived.
    When we got there it was quiz night!
    Ended up asking her to move in with me about 2 months later. Jokingly maintain it was to save my phone bill from all those "no, you put the phone down first" type lovey dovey chats.
    7 years on we have a 2 and a half year old and are doing very nicely.

My advice is to stop looking too hard as you can come over as obsessed. Just get on with your life, keep busy with your hobbies and never pass up an opportunity to meet your friends friends. You will end up at social events where any bunny boilers will have hopefully be filtered out. The internet is a great place to meet people, just find some forums where you can talk about your hobbies.

Good luck!
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Where are the men full stop.......?? ;)

The only person interested in me is SS - and he's only after my money! :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure