🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

After I cut a SIM card to make it compact can I use it again as a full size SIM?

Options
Chomeur
Chomeur Posts: 2,132 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I've just bought a new phone (Sony Xperia Compact) and see that it uses a compact SIM rather than the standard type of SIM. Apparently this is not too much of a problem because I can buy a cutter to cut it down to size. But there are times when I would still want to use my old phone. If I keep the plastic left over from the cutting, can I put this and the compact SIM into my old phone and use it as before?

Comments

• Cyberman60
    Cyberman60 Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I would hazard a guess that you can. You should just have to ensure the connection between the card and phone matches up as before IMO.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if not adapters are cheap on ebay
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2014 at 11:08AM
    Options
    Best solution is send for a free giff gaff sim (get 50p cashback off topcashback). It comes as a full size one but you can push out the micro size bit.

Then use the sim (outer plastic portion) to stick your cut down sim into when needed. (Attach sellotape over the whole area so the cut down sim doesn't dislodge from its plastic area when you use it as a full size sim.

Template here for cutting down:
    http://adipura.menlh.go.id/Daftar%20Pemenang%20Adipura/micro-sim-template-2.pdf/at_download/file
  • Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks. I see that in fact some of the cutters on ebay come with adaptors to size the SIM back up again, so should be no problem.

I'd go with giffgaff but I can't be bothered with the hassle of porting my number over from tescos.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chomeur wrote: »

I'd go with giffgaff but I can't be bothered with the hassle of porting my number over from tescos.

I wouldnt port my number over, just order a sim and remove the sim from the micro sim and your left with the outer bit and you just put your current micro sim into the bit of plastic thats left.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Best solution is send for a free giff gaff sim (get 50p cashback off topcashback). It comes as a full size one but you can push out the micro size bit.

Then use the sim (outer plastic portion) to stick your cut down sim into when needed. (Attach sellotape over the whole area so the cut down sim doesn't dislodge from its plastic area when you use it as a full size sim.

Template here for cutting down:
    http://adipura.menlh.go.id/Daftar%20Pemenang%20Adipura/micro-sim-template-2.pdf/at_download/file

I would not be using Sellotape on any homemade sim adapter that requires the sim to be slid into a slot.

It'll cost a lot more to fix when the Sellotape gets stuck over the sim contacts in the phone, than the 99p a decent quality sim adapter like a Noosy adapter would cost from eBay.

Noosy multi format sim adapter - 99p delivered
    ====
  • Quentin
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    I would not be using Sellotape on any homemade sim adapter that requires the sim to be slid into a slot.

It'll cost a lot more to fix when the Sellotape gets stuck over the sim contacts in the phone, than the 99p a decent quality sim adapter like a Noosy adapter would cost from eBay.

Noosy multi format sim adapter - 99p delivered
    You put the tape on the opposite side to the sim contacts! (The noosy won't guarantee to keep the cut down sim in place!)
  • Quentin
    Options
    Chomeur wrote: »
    Thanks. I see that in fact some of the cutters on ebay come with adaptors to size the SIM back up again, so should be no problem.

Not suggesting you use the sim!

Just to get the sim, punch out the micro part (and discard) then use the sim holder as an adapter when required (which is the same as the noosy one advertised above, but using giff gaff and topcashback you get paid for getting one!)
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You put the tape on the opposite side to the sim contacts! (The noosy won't guarantee to keep the cut down sim in place!)

It doesn't matter, when the Sellotape gets warm (like when the phone is charged) it tends to lift a little, if the card is then removed it can cause the Sellotape to be left inside, I've seen this more than once on phones having to go for repair...

You could use a little double side tape inside the Noosy if you are scared it won't be secure, though I've never had a problem using Noosy adapters in a number of phones.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family