Neighbour Feeding my kitten and keeping him in.. Updated ..

Options
1235»

Comments

• pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We thought we HAD cat proofed the garden - the cat had other ideas.
    I think the number of cats in existance far, far exceeds the number of people who can cat proof their gardens. What do you suggest happen to the surplus cats? I think giving a cat who had a bad start in life a home is the main priority, not 'cat proofing' a garden

also by cat proofing a garden you affect the habitat of other animals such as hedgehogs.

patience and praise is in abundance in this household, but it isn't easy when some vile person strung my cat up by her neck.

Cat proofing a garden has no effect on wildlife- it's the cats that endanger wildlife and kill billions every year...

Cats should be kept indoors if they won't tolerate a harness (although again training would help).

Why do cat owners care so much about how other people treat their cat (not that they should ever be harmed!!!) but don't give a flying monkeys about the wildlife they descimate? How can you choose the right for one animal to have a life but condemn many others?
  • Homeownertobe
    Homeownertobe Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Options
    pawsies wrote: »
    Cat proofing a garden has no effect on wildlife- it's the cats that endanger wildlife and kill billions every year...

Cats should be kept indoors if they won't tolerate a harness (although again training would help).

Why do cat owners care so much about how other people treat their cat (not that they should ever be harmed!!!) but don't give a flying monkeys about the wildlife they descimate? How can you choose the right for one animal to have a life but condemn many others?

Billions?!:rotfl:
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 August 2014 at 12:35PM
    Options
    Billions?!:rotfl:

And squillions! ;)

Cats aren't even fractionally as destructive as humans, Pawsies. Sticking a bell on the cat's collar evens up the odds a bit...
  • pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    And squillions! ;)

Cats aren't even fractionally as destructive as humans, Pawsies. Sticking a bell on the cat's collar evens up the odds a bit...

Oh its not the cats to blame its the owners! Therefore yes humans are destructive.
    Don't quite see how inadvertently killing wildlife is funny but I guess that is cat owners for you. Care about nothing else. Seriously selfish.
    Bells have been shown to reduce deaths by 25% so pretty unsuccessful.
  • artbaron
    artbaron Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Options

Yes, but think of the quadrillions of insects and snails that are saved.
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    If you really cared about where your cat was and got up to you would take them out on a harness or cat proof the garden.

Cat owners need to accept responsibility for their pets.

Surely my OP would suggest that I care about my kitten though pawsies.

If I didn't care why would I post the thread ..?
  • artbaron
    artbaron Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Options
    mandi wrote: »
    Surely my OP would suggest that I care about my kitten though pawsies.

I think it's more the wildlife she's concerned about. Some people think that wild animals, if not killed by cats, lead lovely lives and when they're old they retire to a little animal house and rest their tired heads on their little animal pillows and die quietly in the their sleep. The truth is a little less palatable. Wild animals invariably die by predation, disease, starvation or other trauma. The fact that sometimes it's a cat that shuffles them off this mortal coil makes not a jot of difference to the creatures themselves.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Oh its not the cats to blame its the owners! Therefore yes humans are destructive.
    Don't quite see how inadvertently killing wildlife is funny but I guess that is cat owners for you. Care about nothing else. Seriously selfish.
    Bells have been shown to reduce deaths by 25% so pretty unsuccessful.

I was thinking more of the humans who pave over gardens for car parking, chop down trees for cosmetic reasons, pump pollutants into the atmosphere and water supply, buy highly bred annual plants (which stopped producing pollen long ago), or garden with no regard such as ornamental grasses and cutting plants and trees while they are producing (a neighbour just decided an ideal time to prune a tree was when it had berries on :mad: and another cuts ivy growing thickly up a sheltered wall every year at nesting time :mad:)

All of which and more have a devastating impact on wildlife, much more than cats ever will.

The RSPB say a collared cat with a bell reduces bird kills by 41% and small mammals by 34% compared to non collared and belled cats following a study.

The RSPB also say cats are not a significant problem for birds.
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/
  • nancypearl
    Options
    I make it very difficult for my neighbour's cats to get in and out of my garden. I'm not a fan of the decapitated birds/mice in my doorstep or the poo.
    Climbing/rambling rose bushes, thorns, spiky plants, high fences, etc seem to work a trick.

I suppose you could feed your cat before it goes outside.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure