🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Halifax Ultimate Reward Account Travel Insurance

Options
Hi there. I hope that someone could help me, because this is the first time I am facing travel insurance and I am little bit confused.

My brother took a holiday in EU country, but he had an accident and he broke his hand and was in the hospital for a few days. His return flight to the UK was at 6th of August, but he was still at the hospital and he couldn't make it to the airport obviously.

He hold Halifax Ultimate Reward Account and they offer Travel Insurance as an account benefit. Do you think that he could make a claim that will compensate him for his flight, hospital expenses etc and if yes, how he could do that?

Thank you very much in advance. Cheers

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to ring the Halifax claim telephone number
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just ring the number. They're usually very helpful.
  • xkpa
    xkpa Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. But after numerous calls transfering me to the "correct department" I am totally lost. So far I understood this:

Halifax Travel insurance covers only if the trip/holiday is up to 31 days. My brother holiday was 2 weeks, but now with this accident he must stay in Bulgaria for additional month and a half. The lady on the phone said that there isn't an issue if he make the claim after he returned to the UK, but after I said that he will stay more than 31 days abroad, she said that it is best to open case number now and then after he return to the UK to present all the documents that will support the claim.

But they don't want to open case number, because he is still abroad.

Any advice? Thank you
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    an additional month and a half seems a long time for a broken hand. Is he looking for the insurance to pay his accommodation whilst there?
    The insurance may arrange the replacement flight home when he is signed off as fit to travel. Has he been advised by the hospital that he will not be allowed to travel in the next month and a half?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Staying an extra 6 weeks because of a broken hand looks excessive.

Has his insurer agreed this?
  • xkpa
    Options
    He had an operation of the hand and doctors inserted some metal holders to the bones inside the hand which must be removed after a month and a half.

The insurance told me that they require some "medical flight certificate" - i don't know what that it is, i suppose document from the hospital that he is not allowed to fly during that period.

What he wants from insurance is if it is possible to cover the hospital expenses while he was at the hospital and the return flight, nothing more.
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    The time limit is on the planned holiday. If emergency causes you to have to extend the holiday then this wont cause an immediate problem with the policy terms.

I agree with the others that 6 weeks for a broken hand doesnt sound reasonable. A quick google shows that 48 hours is the normal timeframe but clearly he must seek medical opinion and not rely on forum feedback.

The insurers should be continuously engaged and anything they feel to be off they'd normally refer to one of their experts. I'd certainly expect 6 weeks accommodation etc to be reviewed by their staff prior to you committing to it
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    xkpa wrote: »
    He had an operation of the hand and doctors inserted some metal holders to the bones inside the hand which must be removed after a month and a half.

Have they said he cannot fly with the pins/ plates? Normally you'd return to the UK as soon as you are medically fit and continue the treatment here under the NHS (or PMI if you have it)

If he is in an EU country then what expenses are you referring to? It sounds like he is now wanting to extend his holiday there and using this as a bit of an excuse.
  • xkpa
    Options
    We will need to check that with the hospital. He is in Bulgaria - you need to pay for everything here... it is not like in any normal country...

But yeah, continuing the treatment with NHS might work too. I will try to contact the insurer again now. Thanks
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    xkpa wrote: »
    We will need to check that with the hospital. He is in Bulgaria - you need to pay for everything here... it is not like in any normal country.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinBulgaria.aspx

According to the NHS EHIC site for Bulgaria you should be getting free hospital care as long as you've gone to an appropriate hospital. If the NHS say this then the insurers are unlikely to cover costs if you have chosen to go private
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport