Credit Resolution Services gym letter

Options
13»

Comments

• Wee_Doll
    Options
    I've just been in touch with my gym about my membership. I missed a payment in December, baring in mind I've no contract with them. I went on to sort out the missed payment, £15.99 and I suppose a fee. Usually amounts to £40. Steep but want the issue resolved. I rang Harlands and was referred to Credit Resolution Service. So now I owe over £180. They apparently sent me a letter, not that I'm aware of. I am aware that you can give 30 days notice, which would still only amount to £31.98, not almost 5 times that amount. Is there a way of sending a letter stating the facts, calling them out for these "fees". It's the same bloody company, their on hold music is exactly the same and they take forever to answer the calls too. Fed up with sharks like this to say the least. No big corporate gyms for me anymore. Lesson well and truly learned. Well unless they have a decent company sorting their finances.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,959 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Wee_Doll wrote: »
    I've just been in touch with my gym about my membership. I missed a payment in December, baring in mind I've no contract with them. I went on to sort out the missed payment, £15.99 and I suppose a fee. Usually amounts to £40. Steep but want the issue resolved. I rang Harlands and was referred to Credit Resolution Service. So now I owe over £180. They apparently sent me a letter, not that I'm aware of. I am aware that you can give 30 days notice, which would still only amount to £31.98, not almost 5 times that amount. Is there a way of sending a letter stating the facts, calling them out for these "fees". It's the same bloody company, their on hold music is exactly the same and they take forever to answer the calls too. Fed up with sharks like this to say the least. No big corporate gyms for me anymore. Lesson well and truly learned. Well unless they have a decent company sorting their finances.

Are you saying they have charged you £180 for one missed payment ?

If that's the case, it does not matter what is written in their contract, if that contract is unfair, i would not pay it, i would write, not phone, explain you believe the amount they have charged you is excessive, ask them to justify the amount they are asking for.

Do not take "its in the contract" as a fair answer, if you are not happy, then dispute the matter with them, follow there official complaints procedure, if they issue a claim, have your time in court, judges do not like unfair terms in consumer contracts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wee_Doll wrote: »
    I've just been in touch with my gym about my membership. I missed a payment in December, baring in mind I've no contract with them. I went on to sort out the missed payment, £15.99 and I suppose a fee. Usually amounts to £40. .
    You must have signed a contract to be a gym member????

I am sure there will be details of the charges for late payment in the contract you signed(?) I doubt you will have any grounds to challenge these charges. If you refuse to pay the charges will continue to escalate and they may take you to court, where a judge will decide.

Your best option may be speaking to the manager at the gym and asking him to help and cancel membership if he does not help.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,959 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    I am sure there will be details of the charges for late payment in the contract you signed(?) I doubt you will have any grounds to challenge these charges. .

Just because a list of charges appear in a contract, does not make them enforceable.

Its all about what is reasonable, that is how a court would decide these issues, based on what is reasonable.

An unfair term in a consumer contract can 100% be challenged.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 April 2018 at 10:51PM
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Just because a list of charges appear in a contract, does not make them enforceable.

Its all about what is reasonable, that is how a court would decide these issues, based on what is reasonable.

An unfair term in a consumer contract can 100% be challenged.
    I didn't say they were, I said >>>>
    If you refuse to pay the charges will continue to escalate and they may take you to court, where a judge will decide.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • TMBS
    TMBS Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi. Fit4less makes problems for every customer, I have the same problem. I think that this is money extortion and these companies work together. I did not even have a contract with them and they did the same
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure