Email address for HSBC Chairman

Options
Overtiredmum2010
Overtiredmum2010 Posts: 36 Forumite
edited 9 August 2014 at 10:39AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Can someone help me with an email address for (text removed by MSE Forum Team)?

Long story short - my partner lost his bank card, which he subsequently stopped but his card was fraudulently used for transactions to Betfair.

Bank reimbursed him, great. He heard nothing further so assumed matter was closed. A month later he found that the Bank has reversed the refunds. Upon calling them, they said that since he had not responded to any letters or phone calls, they had reversed them and he was liable for the loss - £960 :shocked::shocked:

He has never received any correspondence from them or phone calls, so he would not have ever been able to respond?! He then complained to them further, they investigated and they have today told him that they have gone through his account and discovered that he has also used the website Betfair (he has done, for random bets on football and certainly not in the last four months), and have reached the conclusion that the transactions must have been made by him, therefore, no refund!! We are fuming, we cannot afford to lose this sort of money. Its like saying if I lose my bank card, someone uses it at Sainsburys, but because I use Sainsburys all the time I won't get a refund?!

So can someone please help with the email address and any further advice to help? I have called Ombudsman and they are willing to help but I need to make sure the Bank writes to him or we have to wait the full eight weeks before we can even take it to them, and we cannot afford it :(

Please help, thank you in advance.

Comments

• Overtiredmum2010
    Options
    Thank you Brightman123, I'll use those email addresses - I tried the other suggestion for Douglas Flint already and they bounced back.

Have you ever heard of this happening before though, in cases where they won't refund just because he has used the website before?? I'm astonished and disgusted :(
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you've already complained and gotten a response from them then simply take the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service who will adjudicate and have the power to force HSBC to repay you if they uphold the complaint.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As ever, the first port of call should be the formal complaints process as published at http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/contact-us/complaints - as per OP and the above post, the ombudsman will only get involved after this has been followed to its conclusion (with a maximum of eight weeks).
  • Overtiredmum2010
    Options
    Ombudsman have told me to go back either once we receive final written response (this is their final response but we need to wait for it in writing) and in six weeks time, which would be the 8 weeks. Its just frustrating that someone has stolen a £1000, we cannot afford that sort of money and we have to wait :(
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm astonished and disgusted :(

I fear that you may find its your husband that you should be astonished and disgusted at.

Betfair, in common with most if not all reputable bookmaker websites require a card to be registered against an account. You cannot just use any old card to bet with. If this card was used on betfair, then it was used to fund the same account that it was previously used for (i.e. your husbands).
  • SammenForLivet2
    Options
    OP, sorry to hear about this - and if your case is valid (not saying it isn't whatsoever, it's just as you can imagine - every story has two sides to it), I could defiantly see grounds for reimbursing you the £960 (minus £50) plus a gesture of goodwill.

If you need a speedy resolution, then you best bet may be to call the bank's complaint team. They log the complaint, provide a reference number and in most (easy) cases, call you back the same day, to propose a resolution, to allow them not to record it (as a complaint). However, given the scale of this complaint (and the fact you may already have an ombudsman reference number), it could take several weeks for them to issue a final response letter, which as the other posters have said, allows you to goto the Ombudsman.

You say that you 'can't afford it' - do you have any emergency savings you could access? I'm sure that if I was the complaint's handler, I'll include the interest you've lost, to put you back in the position as if this did not happen - if this is the reason why your hesitant to wait?

If you don't have any emergency savings (then I suggest you plan and start saving, for situations like this), then perhaps give the bank a call and ask if they can offer you/your husband an overdraft, and if they can - then I'd expect your complaints handler would factor this into their resolution offer, if they've not complied with their terms.
    Thank you all for helping me make my day by saving money!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    msallen wrote: »
    Betfair, in common with most if not all reputable bookmaker websites require a card to be registered against an account. You cannot just use any old card to bet with. If this card was used on betfair, then it was used to fund the same account that it was previously used for (i.e. your husbands).

The truth appears to be closer to home.......
  • Overtiredmum2010
    Options
    Thank you to those who are suggesting my husband is lying to me. His Betfair account was deactivated many months ago and I have seen proof to that.
  • matty_544
    matty_544 Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i dont see the logic for fraud in this. another common practice is winnings would be returned to the same payment method to fund the account so any fraudster isnt trying to take any money in this instance.
    Swagbucks - Apr 14 - Nov 19
    PayPal £1745 Amazon £2285 John Lewis £170 Mastercard £380
  • Overtiredmum2010
    Options
    I agree Matty, but any winnings are only transferred if you request them, not if you just leave them on the account to just dwindle down - not much logic I agree, but a lot of fun when you're playing with someone else's money! His Betfair account was deactivated three months ago, I have seen proof of this and he is not lying to me like others are implying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure