MSE News: Got an HSBC personal loan? You could be due share of £218 million in refund

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• tony541
    tony541 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I've called HSBC 4 times over the last 10 months and have been told that I'm eligible for a payout. I phoned them last time 2 weeks ago and was told that there were being a batch of letters being sent out end of April and beginning of May and guess what, still no letter.
    I don't mind waiting but it's being fobbed off all the time which i find very unprofessional of them.
    Looks like I'll ring again but this time will contact the ombudsman with a complaint.
    Are there any others on here still waiting?
  • jaxkesa
    jaxkesa Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm still waiting despite having a loan within the date period mentioned. And the ombudsman have already said they can't do anything.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2016 at 2:27PM
    Options
    Got my letter today from FD. £37 refund on a loan for £1000 I took out in 2012. I can't even remember the loan!

Add: to clarify "This refund covers all the interest you were charged from the date we needed to start sending you statements, up to the day you paid off the loan. If you were charged an early closure fee when you closed your loan, this amount will also be included in your refund".

Apparently, the statements in question DID NOT include the information that the loan could be paid of early without penalty.
  • ShonaSpurtle
    Options
    I received my refund into my bank account at the end of last week so they are still paying out.
  • Challenger71
    Challenger71 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    How can you check if you had a loan during this time? My husband received a refund of interest last week and I am fairly sure I had a loan around the same time but how do we check that far back? Credit reference? OR just ask HSBC?
  • wilsongaz
    wilsongaz Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I received a letter from First Direct a few weeks ago stating I was due a refund of just over £900. I had been waiting on this letter (like many of you) for quite some time, but I am happy to report that the money has now been refunded to my bank account and the issue now put to bed.

Although I did not post on the thread while I was waiting for the refund, I did regularly check to see if others were having any luck so I feel obliged to pass on the good news and give some hope to those still waiting.

Also for those of you who want to find out if you are due any money, check your credit report or old bank loan statements and if you have or had a loan with HSBC/First Direct over the last 6 years give them a call and you should get an answer over the phone (I did). The dates affected are somewhere on this thread.
    :beer:
    Good luck
  • jaxkesa
    jaxkesa Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In case anyone is still waiting to hear from HSBC, it mya be worth writing to them.

I wrote a letter as I still hadn't heard back about my loan despite contacting them towards the end of 2015.

They sent me a cheque for the interest refund along with an additional £50 for inconvenience which was nice of them considering I am not even a customer anymore.
  • Coinmachine
    Coinmachine Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Had a letter yesterday out of the blue, first I knew of this. £685 interest refunded.
    I'm a greenfield sight for sore eyes, and sore eyes are just needing the light, the shapes, and the shadows of the space we share, before it splits into Thin Air.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure