Paying child maintenance after redundancy

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
4 replies 2.8K views
Moog63Moog63 Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
Hi All,

First post here.

I'm being made redundant in three weeks and my severance pay amounts to around two and a half month's of my previous take-home. I've been paying my wife child maintenance of £660/month for our three children (under 16) in line with the CSA online calculator, based on my salary as it was.

My question is, do I have to continue paying child maintenance at the same level until my severance pay runs out?

In fact, there are many questions I have but I've no idea where to get this sort of advice.

Hope someone can help me here!

Replies

• TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    9.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't necessarily have to pay at the same level. The CSA ignores your statutory redundancy pay, but if you have contractual redundancy on top of your statutory entitlement that may be taken into account.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Moog63Moog63 Forumite
    4 Posts
    Many thanks for your help. I checked on the CSA online calculator and if I'm receiving benefits and seeing the children occasionally, I am not required to pay maintenance.
  • Mimi_Arc_en_cielMimi_Arc_en_ciel Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope you don't have to pay Maintenance. Whether you want to make any minimal contributions (JSA pay £5 a week for example) then that's up to you)
    Debts
    Tesco Loan 2.9595% £8,077.80 £3,096.49
    Santander Loan 11.90% - £7,500 £5,095.86
    Sainsburys Balance Transfer 0% - £2,090 £2090
    MBNA Balance Transfer 0% - £2,500 £2,076.14
    Total Debt: £20,167.80 Total Repaid: £7,809.31 Left to pay: £12,358.49
    Debt Free prediction: 1st July 2023
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you have to do & what you may choose to do are two different things.

If it's acceptable, you can both pay a reduced amount & spend a bit more time with the children - I know extra time with parent can priceless even if we only fly a kite, or discuss books, or chuck pebbles into a pond.

Do check the redundancy board to see how you can help your finances prepare as best you can?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals