Plusnet Advice

Options
My first post on here, so please be gentle.

I've had a phone line with plusnet for a while now and they rang me earlier this month and offered me their broadand package for £3.50 (ish) a month. Since I've been online with them (16th July), it's been nothing short of a nightmare. The signal keeps constantly dropping, I've not being able to get on some websites and in some cases I've not been able to get online at all.

I rang up their disconnection dept and asked if I could cancel the broadband deal but keep the phone line on. They said yes but it would be £81 early termination fee.

Am I within my rights to cancel the phone line seeing as I've had it longer than the broadband, or would that be pointless seeing as they have my broadband contract anyway?

Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    who was your broadband with before , intrigued if it was BT as they and Plusnet are the same

and the same pairs from the exchange to you in most cases
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • dannytorrance
    Options
    It was with aol.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have PN given you any advice like reboot the router test from master socket etc .
    The PN forums are usually good and you may get a CS directly involved .
  • dannytorrance
    Options
    In fairness, they've tried to help and ran a few tests and I've rebooted the router myself but I can't get my head round why they can't just cancel the broadband package with feeling the need to charge me an extorinate fee, especially when I was happy to keep the phone line.
  • eljmayes
    eljmayes Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have they done a BRAS reset on the line? That might be a possible solution.

If it is on a real go slow (less than 20% of predicted line speed with BT) then Openreach should be involved.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd suspect you now have a 12 month broadband contract, hence the cancellation fee, which does seem hash if the service can't be sorted out - have PN broken down the charge for you?

I'd think twice before jumping ship - PN aren't always the quickest to respond but their Uk based call centres seem to get there in the end which is more than I can say for some (Talk Talk springs to mind).
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    The signal keeps constantly dropping,
    What signal?

Is the internet connection dropping out or are you just talking about a WiFi signal?

It may just be that your (new?) router is now set to a channel that is in use nearby and the interference is causing it to drop out. There are countless threads on this board about optimising a WiFi connection.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 July 2014 at 8:52AM
    Options
    If using wi-fi, connect by ethernet to the BT test socket and retest, if it's then OK it's just a wi-fi issue (as advised above) and nothing to do with PN.
    My bet is on a channel clash, as kwikbreaks suggests. It's always the first thing to test, and an easy fix.
    This is the first thing that PN should have advised you to do.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • tommie1shunt
    Options
    When I joined Plusnet it was a bit of a nightmare, it turned out to be a channel clash and someone had plugged in a wrong wire in an exchange. Got sorted eventually. Happy with them now. Hope yours gets sorted.
  • Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with lwikbreaks, macman, and tommie1shunt. Try changing the wifi channel if it is over wireless. This was advice Plusnet gave me on there forums
    PlusNet wrote:
    I would first of all advise you to change the wireless signal the router is working on. To do this you will need to enter the router configuration pages. You can do this by clicking on http://192.168.1.254 - You may be then asked to enter a user name and password to enter the Technicolor Gateway. The user name will be "admin" and the password is the serial number (beginning CP) located on the bottom of your router. The password is case sensitive so you will need to use capitals where appropriate.

Locate the option on the left hand side "Home Network" and click this. You will then need to select the wireless option (Usually says WLAN: PlusnetWirelesXXXXX) and click "configure" on the top right hand side of the page. Then select the "channel selection" option and change this from Automatic to Manual. You can then select the wireless channel. The only channels you should try are 1, 6 and 11 as these are the only ones that don't overlap with any other channel ranges. Once you have changed the wireless channel you will need to click apply, to apply these changes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure