Forum Home» Freebies (no spend required)

get it mended for free - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

get it mended for free

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Freebies (no spend required)
31 replies 28K views

Replies

• isualiveisualive Forumite
    7K posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    what an excellent site. Thanks.
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. ~ Mother Teresa
  • ThepmiesterThepmiester Forumite
    790 posts
    quoia wrote: »
    Whilst there may be some very good gems of wisdom on here, please be very very careful before following any of it.

I've just had a search for a few things and looked at the questions posted and answers given.

Firstly, looked for WM and BEARINGS - this is the Hotpoint range of washing machines and I know from experience that the bearings are an issue.

Of the 12 to 15 I looked at, with just 1 exception (which was truthful advice on removing a specific nut & pulley), all the others basically said , don't do it yourself, you need special tools, call an engineer - expect to pay £100 to £150, a nightmare, not for the novice, etc. etc.

Well I'm a novice, I didn't have any special tools, it wasn't nightmare (IT WAS QUITE DIFFICULT never having done it before) but I did it for £6 (cost of the bearings & seals) when the engineer wanted £95 because it would take him 90 minutes to 2 hours.
    It took me just over 4 hours - although whilst in bits I fully cleaned the tub and drum and door seal and most hoses and soap drawer from all the build up of powder/scum/dirt/mould etc. - something the engineer wouldn't have done.
    One of the answers even said "We do it for £XXX" and included his phone number so watch out for traders selling their wares.

Secondly I had a look at MONDEO, found an answer to a problem that was potentially very dangerous, likely to make matters much worse and make any costs involved in repairs spiral to 10, 20 , maybe even 100 times what they would have been before following the advice given.

Thirdly, having had a quick look around some of the general TV fault responses, I'd rate most of them as TOTAL PANTS !
    All You Need To Say Is Thanks! Even if something doesnt meet your "requirements"
    Thanks OP
    The Pmiester:)
    Well, I just got into town about an hour ago.
    Took a look around, see which way the wind blow.
  • quoiaquoia Forumite
    14.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damski wrote: »
    OK

I accept it may not be to every ones taste, but it has saved me money and I guess it will save others money as well

instead of coming on here and having a rant at what was a genuine attempt to help others,

why not add your vast knowledge to the database on the site and help others as well

I did, I answered 4 questions including 2 Mondeo related ones

and I wasn't having a rant - I was issuing a warning to be careful.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks OP,dont think I am up for major repairs,will use this for simple stuff.
  • tropicaltopaztropicaltopaz Forumite
    44 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Thanks OP, I've bookmarked it for future reference
    & Thanks Quoia for the warning, it makes sense to be wary of information given by "experts" on the net or elsewhere.
    I found your post useful and not at all ranting
  • MaysieMaysie Forumite
    2.4K posts
    another good site is http://www.howtomendit.com/index.php i used them when i had a flashing light on my washing machine the instruction manual was saying calll an engineer. Took me secs to fix i was so happy.

The sites both look very similar. I looked up my old machine problem from how to mend it and put an answer on fixed 4 free to someone asking. My good deed for the day.
  • gibbygibby Forumite
    426 posts
    excellent tip

Im sure Ive posted it before but
    http://www.diynot.com/

is a great site too as Ive had info to fix car problems
    & fixed my combi boiler in 3 properties for peaunts rather than £400 plus quoted by tradesmen

Im not that great with these sort of things but really saved some dosh with this site

I also try to get things trade rather than retail which also saves a few quid

i did find a local exhaust co got me a full exhaust for £90 rather than the £500 I was quoted from garage - it cost £30 to get fitted so I was chuffed

G
    never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
  • Thanks great site, have bookmarked it for future use. :beer:
  • Thanks damski- very usefull as people are always getting me to fix things for them!

(I didn't think quoia was ranting.. thought he was just giving some usefull advice)
    Light bulb moment April 07: [strike]£3,655 [/strike] Oct 07: [strike]£2,220[/strike] now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date :o:D
    now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!
  • eadereader Forumite
    10 posts
    Thanks, I don't need it just now but have saved for when I do.