You need a budget (YNAB) advice thread

Options

Comments

• ShirePiskie
    Options
    I had this, but it was to do with something I wasn't clicking... Hang on in there, when I get home tonight to any trusty rusty laptop I'll have a look and reply again (unless someone comes along in the meantime).

YNAB is amazing - to quote Point Break and not apply it to surfing "It'll change your life. Swear to God." :)
    Debt 2008 - Approx £20k | April 2014 £6526 | 30 October 2015 DEBT FREE
    PPI claim success - £4338 & £764
    YNAB Convert
    Saving Goals - YNAB Buffer: £100/£850 | Emergency Fund: £0/£1000 | Maldives: £0/£10,000
  • ShirePiskie
    Options
    Or look on their forum, I think that's how I figured out what I was missing.
    Debt 2008 - Approx £20k | April 2014 £6526 | 30 October 2015 DEBT FREE
    PPI claim success - £4338 & £764
    YNAB Convert
    Saving Goals - YNAB Buffer: £100/£850 | Emergency Fund: £0/£1000 | Maldives: £0/£10,000
  • easterbunni
    Options
    You need to do two things:

1) Budget an amount that you will pay to your debt in the left hand column (the right hand column will then show a reduced amount) from your Available to Budget

2) Transfer money from your bank account to your debt in YNAB (and in real life). This will not show up as anything in the middle column.

The amount in your debt account as shown in the left panel should then match the amount in the 'Balance' column.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just started using YNAB and entered my debts so they appear as "pre-YNAB" debt. However when I make a payment to these accounts it does not reduce the pre-ynab debt at the top of the spreadsheet? What am I doing wrong? Feeling confused.

How does YNAB deal with your debts - do you have them as "off budget accounts" or not?

Thanks for any advice.

I see that your question has been answered. Are you aware of the YNAB Forum? There are lots of helpful members there who will answer YNAB related questions.
  • Michelle2014
    Options
    You need to do two things:

1) Budget an amount that you will pay to your debt in the left hand column (the right hand column will then show a reduced amount) from your Available to Budget

2) Transfer money from your bank account to your debt in YNAB (and in real life). This will not show up as anything in the middle column.

The amount in your debt account as shown in the left panel should then match the amount in the 'Balance' column.

Thanks for your help but the figures still do not match. The Pre-YNAB debt is not updating once I have made payments to it.
  • jadex
    jadex Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 October 2014 at 5:00AM
    Options
    The Pre-YNAB debt is not updating once I have made payments to it.
    Because it should NOT.
    Pre-YNAB is not an account but category (with initial negative balance).
    You don't pay into it, you budget it and then transfer between real bank accounts (i.e. money is transferred from bank account as payment to credit card company).
    YNAB doesn't know if you pay for your recent purchases or for your Pre-YNAB debt if you don't tell it what you are doing.
    If, for instance, you pay £350 and it is for Pre-YNAB debt then you need to input £350 on budget screen in relevant box (as budgeted), then your Pre-YNAB debt will go down by £350 (on budget screen, in real life you have to then do that corresponding money transfer which may be say £400 'cos you pay £50 for your recent purchases).
    If 2 weeks later you can find another £20 to throw into your debt then you add that £20 to already inputted £350 (so it will be £370 now) and you will see your Pre-YNAB debt will go down by another £20 (but then you still need to transfer that money).
    Same as you budget for electricity - money won't move because you put some amount into relevant box. You put money into that box AND you do a real payment after that.

It all will click when you do that mental switch and stop looking at your budget screen as at your banks/cards balances.
    It really is not so complicated as it may sound.
    Good Luck :)
  • Michelle2014
    Options
    Thanks for your help. Managed to work it out. Was doing the budgeting under "Debts" instead of under Pre-YNAB debt now realise I was doing it wrong. Will try and do some of the tutorials on YNAB.
  • andyfromotley
    Options
    Hi is there a YNAB thread on the forum. Just started on there and would be handy to have somewhere to post queries, see how others use it etc. (i know they have their own forums but i prefer the MSE stylee! :money:
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • andyfromotley
    Options
    Hi, this may be better off in budgeting? Is it possible to move it? andy
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • Tidy_Up_Tash
    Options
    Reddit has an active YNAB community, if that's any help.
    :T Weight Loss (Start Weight 14st 12lb): 5/24 lbs :T
    CC Debt: 01 Jan 2015: £11,462 :(Now: £10,850 EOY Target: £7,500 :)
    :xmassmile Saving for Xmas 2015: £75.11/£300 :xmassmile
    2015 GC: Jan £199.91/£200 | Feb £188.21/£200 | Mar/Apr :exclamati | May £118.44/£200
    NSDs: Jan ? | Feb 9 | Mar/Apr :exclamati | May 1 - - - 2nd Purse: £30
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport