Motorbike Dilemma

Options
I will try my hardest not to waffle here!

I fell in love with wanting a bike after doing a 2 day trip around Greece on the back of one. I know people say oh it's different on the back but it wasn't like that - I loved the power, the feel, the look - the whole lot. So much so that it gives me goosebumps!

So of course, first thing - book my CBT (which I now have). Only thing is, I struggled ridiculous amounts due to my height (or lack thereof!) even with a small 125 bike. In the end the instructor took pity on me (and no, my feet could not touch the floor flat footed at all!) and shoved me onto a moped for the on-road bit of the training. And yes, I had to swallow my pride a little bit!

So now, I feel a bit lost as to where to go from here. There are different options that I could take:

1) Pootle around on a moped for road experience then do a direct access course
2) Work towards my A2 license this year

Again, the problem is the height (and therefore, my now lack of confidence - I didn't pick it all up as fast I would have liked!) of most A2/A regulated bikes. So I was looking at perhaps buying my own bike and doing my A2 or direct access in that.

Only problem with that is, if I wanted overall to buy a bike in the full A category (and found one for my short legs!) I wouldn't be able to pass my A2 in it - so would have to find one to borrow/hire that would suit me.

Or do I get one suitable for A2 and learn on that and stay on it for a while until I'm a confident driver and therefore perhaps slightly larger bikes may be more open to my needs?

Sincerest apologies for the rant - it's just the jumble that's currently on my mind. Typically, I like big chunky bikes and I do feel greatly disheartened that this may not be possible. Ideally, I didn't want a cruiser type either (with short height, comes short arms) and I know they can be on the heavy side.

Any advice AT ALL would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and when I say short, I mean 5ft!
Does the walker choose the path or the path the walker?

Lift heavy & squat deep.

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Motorcycles come in all shapes and sizes, as you have probably already discovered.

I think a sensible initial target for you would be an A2 license and some experience on an A2 machine. There is no reason why any rider cannot (subject to achieving the correct license) ride an unrestricted bike but in your case I would suspect that building confidence and machine handling skills on smaller machinery would be wise. And 47bhp is enough to cope with our roads. It will be the case that a lot of machines will always be beyond your physical limits but that applies to many of us. (I'm 5' 10" and have to have a low seat option on my 1200RT)

Visit lots of dealers and look at lots of bikes. See what you like and see what fits. Most bikes can be lowered a little and there are other tricks you can try like having boots with built up soles - as a female friend of mine once did. Seats can also be re-shaped and lowered. Some manufacturers, for example BMW, will actually produce a low version of some machines. I am not sure of it is available in restricted A2 form but the Triumph Bonneville is great. It is low and heaps of fun to ride.

Check out the MCN forums for more advice as this topic has been covered there more than once.

Good luck.
  • OnanTheBarbarian
    Options
    How often do you need to sit there on a bike with both feet flat on the floor?

When stationary at lights for example, you would have your left foot on the floor and the right foot on the rear brake.

How tall (or short sorry :-) ) are you? My wife is 5'1 and she was OK doing her CBT on a Yamaha CG125 a couple of years back. The only thing she struggled with was putting the bike onto the centre stand as she was not quite tall enough to have her arm in the right position to pull the bike back onto the centre stand when it was at the top of the manoeuvre.
  • NatMast_2
    NatMast_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    It's not just about both feet - it was about how far I had to tip the bike to get one foot completely flat and the balance of myself with the bike. I'm not blessed with slightly longer legs at all, I'd describe them as stumpy even for my height!

I'm 5ft short. I can't remember the model of bike I was trying to learn on but it was a Honda. I can relate to your wife regarding the centre stand! I could get it on but couldn't get it off!

Lift heavy & squat deep.
  • MEM62
    edited 29 July 2014 at 1:52PM
    Options

On anything more than a lightweight machine you will need at least the balls of both feet firmly planted. It's very easy to get caught out by a camber or a little off balance. True, you don't always sit there with both feet on the ground but you do need to be able to support the bike from either side without having to slide your backside across the seat.
  • OnanTheBarbarian
    Options
    I recall the OP asking about this in another thread I think and I recommended a cruiser style bike as they have such low seats you can paddle about on them with both feet, even shorties.

There are loads of jap cruiser style bikes out there for not much money. Harleys are just bits of agriculture and are massively heavy, overpriced and frankly the throttle is just a volume control switch. Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices.

MEM62 - I have only been riding since Feb when I passed my DAS but have done some advanced tuition since and was taught that even when sitting for some time stationary that I should have my left foot on the floor and the right should be on the rear brake so to increase your visibility and possible intentions to motorists behind. Never was I taught to sit there in neutral with both feet on the floor. I ride a 600 sports touring bike.
  • welfayre
    welfayre Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    You can lower most bikes so that's always an option.

What type of bike do you think you'd be after? If you want an out and out sports bike you'll probably need the full A license as a lot of sports bikes will have more than 47bhp.

Adventure/street/cruiser have decent selection of A2 bikes, Honda CB500X is 47bhp. My first big bike was a Yamaha XVS650 with only 40bhp. Easily managed to sit at 70-80mph on the motorways and was nice and low too. You get 125/250cc versions too so plenty of options for you.
  • NatMast_2
    NatMast_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    On anything more than a lightweight machine you will need at least the balls of both feet firmly planted. It's very easy to get caught out by a camber or a little off balance. True, you don't always sit there with both feet on the ground but you do need to be able to support the bike from either side without having to slide your backside across the seat.

Otherwise the bike falls on top of you. And even a lightweight one bruises. Not that it happened to me, of course ;)

I was originally looking at A2 bikes because that was the route I was going to be taking. Something like the Honda CBR500 or the NC700 (my favoured choice) seemed great. The Kawasaki Ninja did cross my mind too.

It's hard to know what's best to do - and I don't want my impatience to get in the way here. A2 seems practical in the sense of I'll get more experience and it will be gradual.

I just rang a recommended motorbike company (I'm in Leicester) and they're letting me have a 20-30 minute practice for free on their bikes to see if anything would be suitable for my height. If not, it may be a case of getting my own (maybe a Japanese import could work?) but I don't want to rush into a hasty decision of what bike to get for myself.

Lift heavy & squat deep.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I generally wait at the lights with both feet on the floor. I used to deride people that did this, as I was so skilfull to do it correctly, until I discovered how funny it is for someone crossing behind you to give the bike a little unexpected push and have you off :mad:

I also need both feet on the floor to paddle backwards.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • MEM62
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    I generally wait at the lights with both feet on the floor. I used to deride people that did this, as I was so skilfull to do it correctly, until I discovered how funny it is for someone crossing behind you to give the bike a little unexpected push and have you off :mad:

When taking IAM training I was advised that the 'correct' way was the 'Hendon shuffle'. This is all well and good and when riding my FZS1000 I usually only have one foot down when stopped. However if I am on the 1200RT and I have my girlfriend on the back I always have both feet on the ground. If Kate is going to shuffle on her seat she will usually do this as we stop and I have nearly been caught out off-balance on more than one occasion.

A good rider will develop a skill set and use those skills as various situations require. There is very little that is absolute right or wrong in how you should approach any given situation. Always ride your own ride.
  • Buellguy
    Buellguy Posts: 629 Forumite
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    When taking IAM training I was advised that the 'correct' way was the 'Hendon shuffle'. This is all well and good and when riding my FZS1000 I usually only have one foot down when stopped. However if I am on the 1200RT and I have my girlfriend on the back I always have both feet on the ground. If Kate is going to shuffle on her seat she will usually do this as we stop and I have nearly been caught out off-balance on more than one occasion.

A good rider will develop a skill set and use those skills as various situations require. There is very little that is absolute right or wrong in how you should approach any given situation. Always ride your own ride.

Exactly what he said
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport