Returning a hudl

Options
Bought a hudl last November. I have exchanged it twice already due to faults. Now it's not charging properly and it's screen is slow and unresponsive. I have done a factory reset last week and tried again think daughter has downloaded an app which was causing these problems but tbh it's still crap. I have had enough. I want a refund. I have the receipt, box etc. am I right in thinking that if I take it back to store it won't be a problem to get a refund? Or will they make me take a replacement?

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's entirely up to the store. You can ask for what you want. However they can refund, replace or repair, whichever is more cost-effective for them.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to add to what Ectophile says... if they believe the thing is not inherently faulty, then they can if they wish refuse any remedy until you prove otherwise.

You seem to be suggesting that either the thing is just less powerful than you were expecting, or maybe a rogue application has been installed.
    Neither of these demonstrate an inherently faulty machine.
  • scw1
    scw1 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I just re-read my post I meant to say it was crashing all the time and I thought perhaps she had downloaded an app so then I reset to faculty settling sand am using just the internet and it's still crashing and very slow. I think it's faulty hence why I want a refund not replacement.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 July 2014 at 10:20PM
    Options
    scw1 wrote: »
    Sorry I just re-read my post I meant to say it was crashing all the time and I thought perhaps she had downloaded an app so then I reset to faculty settling sand am using just the internet and it's still crashing and very slow. I think it's faulty hence why I want a refund not replacement.
    OK, but you have now had it eight months.

You only have a short period after purchase to determine that the goods conform to contract, during which time you can reject it for a full refund.

After that period, and up to six months after the sale, any fault that appears is deemed to be inherent unless the seller can prove otherwise.

After six months from purchase, it is for the buyer to prove that the fault was present at the time of sale.

If it is decided that the fault is inherent, then the seller must provide a remedy which could be either a repair, replacement or a refund.
    You can choose a remedy, but you cannot force a seller to provide a disproportionately costly... so effectively the seller decides the remedy.

If a refund is decided upon, that can be a partial refund to take account of the use you have had.

Having said all that, why not take ot back to Tesco and see what they say?

I cannot imagine they will give a full refund, but you never know.
    I would expect them to offer a replacement.

Just remember, you are in no position to even force them to offer a replacement without proof that the thing is inherently faulty.
    The fact that it is slow and crashes is not proof that it is inherently faulty.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    scw1 wrote: »
    I think it's faulty hence why I want a refund not replacement.

You may not even get a replacement, they may opt to repair.

Take it back and see what they say. You can't dictate whether you get a repair, refund or replacement. Any refund can also be partial. You can request, but the retailer can deny your request.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a refund after the replacement suffered from the same screen freeze problems (a well known issue) as the first one. But I didn't hang about, the first one was replaced after a few weeks and the second one I took back within 2 weeks of getting it.

I think I read somewhere that there is supposed to be a software fix now for the unresponsive screen problem, so there's a good chance that if you don't already have that then Tesco will simply add it to see if it resolves the problem.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,876 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2014 at 4:22PM
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »

I think I read somewhere that there is supposed to be a software fix now for the unresponsive screen problem, so there's a good chance that if you don't already have that then Tesco will simply add it to see if it resolves the problem.

Yes, this is a known issue (google it)!

The latest system software attempts to solve this problem and provides an additional "screen reset" option in settings.

In my experience it helps but is not a complete solution.

My Hudl was bought with Club Card vouchers doubled up so effectively only cost me £60 as there was nothing else I wanted to buy in the double up deal before the vouchers ran out of date. Partly for that reason, plus the fact that mine is nowhere near as bad as some, I've not (yet) rattled their cage.

I'm still considering options before the warranty runs out.

The battery life is not wonderful and the camera is poor (see Which report). Personally I wouldn't buy another one but I don't know what I'd get instead without paying iPad sort of prices!
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    The battery life is not wonderful and the camera is poor (see Which report). Personally I wouldn't buy another one but I don't know what I'd get instead without paying iPad sort of prices!

So we have ( yes I paid about £70 ) the Hudl but the IPad would have cost us 6 times as much. I do not see that the ipad is 6 times better than the Hudl. I used it on the plane and it performed magnificently, but useless in bright sunshine.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also used some Clubcard vouchers to buy mine, and luckily when I took the second one back they refunded the entire cost onto my credit card, so I had £119 that I was then a few months later able to put towards a 2013 Nexus 7 when there was an offer available.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,876 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I also used some Clubcard vouchers to buy mine, and luckily when I took the second one back they refunded the entire cost onto my credit card, so I had £119 ......

You were lucky then.

A couple of years ago I had to return some other item I'd bought with doubled up vouchers. All they would do is credit my Clubcard with the points value of the vouchers (not doubled up).

Eventually I suppose these turned into new vouchers which I might be able to double up at some point in the future. However it didn't seem ideal or smooth!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure