Travelling into London by car

Options
civil12345
civil12345 Posts: 186 Forumite
I'm travelling to London from the north next Monday and looking at train times/ costs it seems like travelling by car would be better. I need to get to Marble Arch ideally or Bond Street tube station.

I'm looking to park at a station near the outskirts and travel in by tube. Any suggestions on what would be the best station to park at? I would be getting into London about 11am so I'm guessing a lot of the station car parks will be full.

I don't know London very well as I normally travel by train/ tube but I have an Oyster card (which I think should get the tube prices cheaper from the outskirts).

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• nids
    nids Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    check parkopedia!
  • civil12345
    Options
    Thanks, I was wondering if anyone had any local knowledge of the best area to park. I was thinking about Wembley Park as it seems quite easy to get to and has a large car park - but is that likely to be very busy? I guess it is.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    edited 28 July 2014 at 7:15PM
    Options
    no familiar with West london, someone else may be able to chime in. But Wembly is quite a commute from Marble Arch, pretty sure you can find a decent spot closer to Marble Arch.

There should be a few spots near baker street (outside of congestion charging). Advantage is that Baker street is a bus ride away (can even walk there from Marble arch). With wembley it's a decent tube ride away

edit:

Yep, wembley you're looking at per day parking of £5-6. PLUS tube cost of £4.40 return (with oyster) to get to marble arch.

Just go to Baker street and use a all day parking space just on the outskirts of congestion charge (find a spot using http://en.parkopedia.co.uk) for £12 a day.

Then walk to marble arch if you need to.

Parking in baker street is going to be a little bit more expensive than wembly bit you can cut down on your journey times considerably and is going to be less hassle (no need to worry about last tube or anything)
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stanmore or Watford.
  • civil12345
    Options
    Thanks londonTiger, I was just thinking tube would be ok as I've used it quite a lot including from the Wembley area. Also have no idea about traffic in London so was purposefully looking for somewhere further out.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Options
    civil12345 wrote: »
    Thanks londonTiger, I was just thinking tube would be ok as I've used it quite a lot including from the Wembley area. Also have no idea about traffic in London so was purposefully looking for somewhere further out.

traffic is bad during the day (worst during both rush hours, there's no school run at the moment so you wont have to worry about chelsea trackor traffic at this time of the year).

If you're thinking about last trains, then it should be very quiet late in the evening.

But I only have experience with East london traffic.

On google maps it says trains from wembley to marble arch is 46 minutes. I'm pretty sure you can get from the m1 to baker street in a car less than that.
  • civil12345
    Options
    Thanks all, Stanmore looks pretty good.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

On google maps it says trains from wembley to marble arch is 46 minutes. I'm pretty sure you can get from the m1 to baker street in a car less than that.

At a push you can do it, an driver not experienced with driving in London could easily take a lot longer than that
  • civil12345
    Options
    Hi, thanks again for the responses. I've now changed my journey to Sunday (much better for many reasons) which I thought would be much better for parking at Stanmore. However, I've now noted from the TfL website that the Jubilee line isn't stopping at Bond Street due to maintenance. So, I'm now looking at the Central line to go directly to Marble Arch. Looking at one of the Ruislip stations - does anyone have any experience of these or advise on which would be best on Sunday?

Thanks
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Marble Arch junction is pretty horrific if you're not familiar with London / not a confident driver.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family