🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: Asda to cut petrol prices by 2p per litre

Options

Comments

• Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    The thing is MSE now receives revenue from the supermarkets so they have to play ball, how else would MSE Paloma get paid!

Come on now...MSE doesn't receive money from supermarkets for pieces like this. Any revenue they do get is from credit products like cards and loans, and does not come with promotion conditions.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TattyBear wrote: »
    Unleaded at my local rip off Tesco has gone up 2p a litre in the last month, 1p of that in the last week.

But you get a 2p off if you spend £50 in store....

As always raise prices to drop them.

In the defence of MSE it does seem ASDA are usually the keenest on petrol prices and the first to drop followed by the others, so I do think its worth them reporting this.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Totality
    Totality Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    But you get a 2p off if you spend £50 in store....

As always raise prices to drop them.

In the defence of MSE it does seem ASDA are usually the keenest on petrol prices and the first to drop followed by the others, so I do think its worth them reporting this.

I think it would be more worthwhile if price rises were reported as well as cuts.
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    this is not news anymore. even the report is just a carbon copy of one a few weeks ago. its becoming like spam!

prices at the pumps sneaked up 2p last week.

so this isn't a cut its just price manipulation.

something which all the supermarkets are good at.
  • JustLikeThat
    JustLikeThat Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    A few weeks ago, diesel went down 2p at Asda but petrol did not. I find this 'heads up' useful as it informs my buying decision if I need to fill up soon. Any petrol station is a business and not a charity and their objective is to make profit - hence promotional schemes and price variation. By having all the information to hand about current pricing it helps you decide where to buy. We all wish fuel was cheaper and would keep going down, but have to deal with the reality.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    According to Petrolprices.com, the average UK price for a litre of diesel was 135.38p yesterday, while the cost of unleaded petrol stood at 131.10p/litre.
    Kinda makes me feel lucky I have never seen those prices.
    Diesel has been at 132.7p for a few months now, with petrol being 129.7p
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A few weeks ago, diesel went down 2p at Asda but petrol did not. I find this 'heads up' useful as it informs my buying decision if I need to fill up soon. Any petrol station is a business and not a charity and their objective is to make profit - hence promotional schemes and price variation. By having all the information to hand about current pricing it helps you decide where to buy. We all wish fuel was cheaper and would keep going down, but have to deal with the reality.

Well that would be fine if we also had the stories in between saying "Asda puts diesel prices up 2p a litre. If you are that price conscious, and actually need to be told what the price is in your area rather than watch it yourself, sign up to a site like https://www.petrolprices.com and get updates sent straight to your inbox.

It seems to me that "MSE Paloma" and her colleagues are almost playing at Monty Python....Spam spam spam spam. I suspect I mustn't say any more or I will get another warning from MSE Andrea.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,100 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a surprise, our local sainsburys had put their prices up this week - they do that every time before they do a 'price cut' - they are now as hated as Tesco for me :(
    I think....
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I drive a diesel, so only use supermarket fuel as a last resort as I discovered that I get a 12% drop in economy in comparison with branded fuel.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I drive a diesel and only ever use supermarket fuel as it is cheaper. I have compared and found absolutely no difference with branded fuel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport