🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Alcoholic 'Family' Member

Options

Comments

• Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 July 2014 at 2:17PM
    Options
    I really don't deserve any sympathy, my main concern is my half sister who is 13 and it's her Dad. I guess I ask more out of care for her as I can't stand him.. but that is a very long drawn out story..

He is living with my Mum atm so he is under 'supervision' it's a shame their are two young children in the middle.

I guess their isn't much else to do then really, my Mum has already got the food thing down always having it readily available.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can call social services....but is that something you really want to do as your sister will be taken from your mother. Your mother is failing to prevent the drinking so is partially responsible so social services will see it that way and seriously think about removing the children if they think that is the best option....especially if he is abusive when drunk or very much so if violent.

Anyway, if he's not abusive or violent and you don't really like him then let him drink himself to death. It's not your worry.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • picklekin
    picklekin Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    The best thing you can do is to support those affected by them, Al-Anon are great. My mother is an alcoholic and refuses to help herself unless it results in a good sitcom moment for her, which quickly passes once the hard work kicks in.

You can't really rely on mental health services, we had my mother sectioned once (as she kept ODing as the booze made her so miserable/dramatic) but they kept her in for a week and then just let her loose again, she had a few follow up appointments but since my mother "asked them not to come again" they didn't.

Unless they want help, you really can't do anything sadly.
  • danih
    danih Posts: 454 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If it suits for your sister to stay with you occasionally - maybe come over for her dinner, or have the odd overnight stay that would be great for her, and one less thing for your mum to worry about for a few hours.

Just in case your mum needs it I have below details for women's aid. They can provide advice and / or alternative accommodation, if necessary for your mum and sister together.
    http://www.womensaid.org.uk/
    0808 2000 247 - Free phone 24 hr National Domestic Violence Helpline

Al - Anon will provide support to friends and family of alcoholics - even if the alcoholic is not ready for support. Their website is
    http://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/
    :j got married 3rd May 2013 :beer:
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if someone is drinking themselves to death, is their any help out their considering they don't want help?

It's at the point now where they aren't eating more then a yoghurt / bit of fruit a day, pain constantly 'turning yellow' so to speak...

But they don't want any help ... won't go to the doctors etc....

?

Sounds like liver, and sooner or later, they will collapse.

If they won't seek help, then you will have to wait until that happens.

Sad, but true.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Your mother is failing to prevent the drinking so is partially responsible .

I think that's a bit harsh. Whilst it is true that the half sister might be removed from the house to blame the issues of a hardened drinker on the OP's mum is a bit tough.

I should suspect she is going through hell with it as it is seeing a person they love take themselves apart like this but beyond barricading them in a room and effectively keeping them prisoner there is little she can do to prevent this.

As everyone has said, the only person that can stop it is the person doing the boozing.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • growler834
    growler834 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your mother is failing to prevent the drinking so is partially responsible so social services will see it that way and seriously think about removing the children if they think that is the best option....especially if he is abusive when drunk or very much so if violent.

No one can prevent another person from drinking (or taking drugs) if they are an addict. The OP's mother may have tried, and failed, to do just that, as have all those who live with an alcoholic (been there, done that & bear the scars). To suggest that Social Services should become involved because the mum is "partially responsible" is very naive & unhelpful. The OP's mum may be trying to keep the family together under very trying circumstances.

As others suggest, Al-Anon will give the best advice to family members. The OP should give as much support to mum as possible so that mum can make informed decisions as to what is best for the family. The alcoholic won't ask for help if he doesn't want it so concentrate on getting help for mum & your family instead.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 July 2014 at 3:29PM
    Options
    He isn't a danger , in fact he is nicer when drunk then he is sober.. but obv no it isn't good for the children to be around it. Tbh I think he just sits on the sofa all day watching tele drinking as my sister doesn't know anything that is going off, she told me that she just stays out of it and doesn't go near him so I am guessing they spend a lot of time in their rooms.

I will have to suggest about them coming round more, I never go round to theirs as it's just to awkward and I don't like my kids near him (even before the alcohol problems.)

*I say anything she knows of the drinking but just stays away from him
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    Your mother is failing to prevent the drinking so is partially responsible

I disagree with this statement. An alcoholics relationship with booze is all encompassing. They are rendered unable to recognise the damage they are causing to themselves and those around them. My step dad drank himself to an early death. No amount of love, support, understanding, or desire to help him made any difference. He didn't wish to help himself. That is heart breaking and leaves people feeling helpless.
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • azzabazza
    azzabazza Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    marisco wrote: »
    I disagree with this statement. An alcoholics relationship with booze is all encompassing. They are rendered unable to recognise the damage they are causing to themselves and those around them. My step dad drank himself to an early death. No amount of love, support, understanding, or desire to help him made any difference. He didn't wish to help himself. That is heart breaking and leaves people feeling helpless.

Exactly this. This was certainly the case with my nephew. It was unbelievable the tricks he would play to get his hands on alcohol. And his hiding places .... well that was another story!

After 20 years an alcoholic he has been 'dry' for 5 months. As a family we can only hope and pray he continues. It's like walking on egg shells.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport