Laptop wont go to sleep

Options
vansboy
vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi All

My new (3 months old) Toshiba laptop doesnt go into sleep mode, regardless of what time delay I set.

This isnt a fault which has developed, it just never has done. My fault for not going back earlier, of course.

I took it into John Lewis yesterday, they tried a few redets for acouple hours and suggested trying to revert to original settings. Either me doing it, or leaving it with them - for up to three weeks (although usually a week they say).

Before I try this, has anyone any thoughts on what may be the problem, please?

Thanks in advance

VB

Comments

• zena2105
    zena2105 Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it is windows.

click on start button, in search box type CMD, press enter and leave for few minutes.

will open a black box. in that box type:
    SFC /scannow

press enter and leave 10 -15 minutes.
    it will either fix problem, tell you found problem can't fix and say no problems.

if a problem it can't fix let us know. As it sounds like a corruption in the hibernation program.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site: £2596.71
    :eek::hello:
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    Does it sleep when you tap the power button or close the lid?

It's one of those things that I'd probably ignore as it would be much more hassle to sort out than it causes!
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • vansboy
    Options
    zena2105 wrote: »
    If it is windows.

click on start button, in search box type CMD, press enter and leave for few minutes.

will open a black box. in that box type:
    SFC /scannow

press enter and leave 10 -15 minutes.
    it will either fix problem, tell you found problem can't fix and say no problems.

if a problem it can't fix let us know. As it sounds like a corruption in the hibernation program.

Got it - but I then get message saying I need to be an administrator to access

Thanks

Vb
  • vansboy
    Options
    Esqui wrote: »
    Does it sleep when you tap the power button or close the lid?

It's one of those things that I'd probably ignore as it would be much more hassle to sort out than it causes!

Yes , if I shut lid it turns off, ok.

Guess you may well be right!

I can always clik it myself

VB
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    vansboy wrote: »
    Got it - but I then get message saying I need to be an administrator to access

Thanks

Vb

Press the windows key and X together, then choose "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the menu. Then it'll work.
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • vansboy
    Options
    Comes up with .... verify only ... system 32

Have I doe it right?
    Thanks

VB
  • JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Options
    vansboy wrote: »
    Hi All

My new (3 months old) Toshiba laptop doesnt go into sleep mode, regardless of what time delay I set.

This isnt a fault which has developed, it just never has done. My fault for not going back earlier, of course.

I took it into John Lewis yesterday, they tried a few redets for acouple hours and suggested trying to revert to original settings. Either me doing it, or leaving it with them - for up to three weeks (although usually a week they say).

Before I try this, has anyone any thoughts on what may be the problem, please?

Thanks in advance

VB

Its definately the laptop bios needs updating (incompatibility with Win 7)

If its new you should be able to update direct from toshiba website

Had similar problems with my desktop when upgraded to Win 7 but my warantee is out of date so no free bios update

I created a two line instruction to send the computer to sleep and this runs when the computer is inactive (set to sleep) - works perfectly and ill post it here later
    When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure