Neon models modelling agency direct debit help!!!

Hi guys,

I'm currently a student. I always wanted to become a model so last month I applied to this modelling agency neon models. I was very surprised they called me the very next day saying I'm selected to become a model. I couldn't believe it. But then they asked me for a £50 deposit to come and visit their studios for a free photoshoot. When I asked them they said it is free but after the photoshoot they asked me £899 for a portfolio. I'm a student and I dont have that kind of money but after pushing me for a long time the sales person offered me a package for £500 and we setup a direct debit to pay £50 every month for 9 months (minus my £50 booking fee) but right now I'm going through a really bad times and having to pay bills I'm finding it very hard to pay this money. I called their studios (krypton studios) and they said I have to pay or my credit will be messedup by debit collection. I'm so upset over this and earn very little money. I know i was stupid to sign up to this? Has anyone been through this situation before? How can i cancel this? I'm worried this might ruin my future. Has anyone been through the same situation before with neon models in london? :o:o:o:o

Comments

• Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://neonmodelsscam.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/neon-models-is-scam.html

No modelling agency should be taking fees to represent you "up front" - any money they make should be a 'cut' from the fees you earn from modelling work.

Sorry, I don't know about getting your money back.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    As GN says.

I don't strictly work in modelling, but we share a model of paying everything, then taking a commission from profit afterwards.
    💙💛 💔
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    As already said, a genuine modelling agency will not ask for any money upfront, then take a percentage of money you earn from shoots.

A good model wouldn't be a risk so no upfront charges required.

Essentially, you have paid for a photoshoot and some prints to out in a folder.

Have you signed any form of contract?

Have they guarenteed any work?

Did they mention the name of any clients they work with or got their clients work with.

Unless you can prove they lied about something, then you'll have to pay.

At least make sure the photos are good!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 September 2014 at 8:47PM
    Neon models/ vanilla models
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5064260
    Bumped this..
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I was very surprised they called me the very next day saying I'm selected to become a model. I couldn't believe it
    You obviously did. Didn't the fact they immediately took £400 off the cost ring any alarm bells in your presumably intelligent student head?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • cathy345 wrote: »
    hi guys,

i'm currently a student. I always wanted to become a model so last month i applied to this modelling agency neon models. I was very surprised they called me the very next day saying i'm selected to become a model. I couldn't believe it. But then they asked me for a £50 deposit to come and visit their studios for a free photoshoot. When i asked them they said it is free but after the photoshoot they asked me £899 for a portfolio. I'm a student and i dont have that kind of money but after pushing me for a long time the sales person offered me a package for £500 and we setup a direct debit to pay £50 every month for 9 months (minus my £50 booking fee) but right now i'm going through a really bad times and having to pay bills i'm finding it very hard to pay this money. I called their studios (krypton studios) and they said i have to pay or my credit will be messedup by debit collection. I'm so upset over this and earn very little money. I know i was stupid to sign up to this? Has anyone been through this situation before? How can i cancel this? I'm worried this might ruin my future. Has anyone been through the same situation before with neon models in london? :o:o:o:o

same experience.just done it yesterday. What have you done?? Please help me
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper

Check any contract you've signed.

There's presumably nothing in it about getting your money back.

As said above numerous times, no decent modelling agency will demand money upfront for anything.
    💙💛 💔
  • Vanity, gullibility = easy money!
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

It sounds like you have agreed to pay £500 (or whatever amount).

The only (legal) way you can back out of this, is if the company breaches the contract or if they misrepresented something.

'Breaching the contract' means not doing something they said they would do. e.g. If they don't provide the photos, or provide fewer than they agreed.

'Misrepresentation' means they misled you or lied to you. e.g. they said you would be guaranteed work if you had the photos done (and that's not true).

So think carefully about what they told you... was any of it misleading or untrue? If so, you can tell them that you are cancelling the contract due to misrepresentation, and stop paying.

But they are likely to argue that they didn't misrepresent anything. They might even take the argument all the way to court (or they might just scream and shout a bit, then give up.)
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Vanity, gullibility = easy money!

Very, very harsh!

Presumably these companies prey on 18/19 year old girls/boys who have never encountered high pressure selling before.

Many teenagers have spent their entire school career upto the age of 18 being told to respect adults (e.g. their parents and teachers), and to do what adults tell them. So when an adult 'tells' them to sign a contract, they find it hard to disobey them.

So maybe direct your venom at the immoral salespeople, not the people bullied into signing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure