🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Second Time Lucky

Options

Comments

• amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Muser1 wrote: »
    Wow that's so close to mn!

Knowing my luck we'll have some massive expense this year! :D

I like being so close to mortgage neutrality but will be much happier when it's all paid off! We then have some boring house jobs to do like new double glazing at the front and we will definitely need a whole new roof in the next 10 years. I had thought I'd be eager for a new bathroom/kitchen, but the thought of actually going through the mess suggests that I might be able to live with the dated versions. :)

I'm also very aware that we rely 100% on my husband's job, which makes me jittery.

I saved a little bit of money yesterday. During the last storm (which destroyed all the shed roof felt) a few roof tiles fell out. They're in a weird position so just dropped onto the conservatory, which is right next to where they should be, if that makes sense. Rather than pay a roofer, I decided a better plan was to climb out of my daughter's bedroom window, replace the tiles, and climb back in. The climbing out was fine, and I was relieved to find that the conservatory took my weight. But I hadn't realised quite how much of a drop it was!!! So essentially, my OH had to drag me back through the window, which made us laugh so much that I almost fell back out. Bizarrely, as my legs were dangling outside, a horse driven funeral carriage drove past!!! :rotfl:

I did a bit of gardening too - well done me!

I spoke to DD about possible easter holiday ideas. Basically everything we came up with involves being outside so please make sure the weather is okay. I'm thinking maybe on day one we should write indoor and outdoor ideas on slips of paper and draw them out whenever we get bored.

Car insurance renewal is in at £314 so my challenge is to get it a bit lower.

A friend who has also just gone vegan has given me some Almond and Coconut Alpro milk as it's too sweet for her. Nothing is too sweet for me, especially when it's free. :D
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Just popping in to say hello you crazy dangling out of the window lady!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • amycool
    Options
    Nothing exciting to report other than that school holidays solve the school-related stress but bring in a whole new set of stressors and attachment problems. Feeling a bit tense and worn out and a loooooong way to go.

In money news, we've saved a bit more this month despite spending money on lots of gifts and vegan products.

The school holiday has only cost £1.50 for chips so far as DD isn't in the right place for day trips yet. We'll see how the next week and a half goes.

DD wants to do cookery club, so that will be £30 and she's been sent home with instructions to fill a tube full of money for the school. :cool:

I am hating seeing the interest rate on the mortgage barely change each month.
  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    enjoy your hols x
  • amycool
    Options
    I've just done the car insurance comparison and the cheapest option was £70 more than the renewal cost! That was a surprise (and a disappointment!). So we're sticking with Aviva, but I'm thinking now might be the time to start paying extra for NCB protection as we have 6 years. Unfortunately it's on my OH's name so I can't call.

First week of the holidays was just lots of anxiety and crazy behaviour, but DD has relaxed a bit now so we managed a trip into town for a museum yesterday, which went well. She really wanted to buy this electronic dog but I said no as she spent all of her pocket money earlier in the year on a similar toy that she got bored with very quickly. I felt a bit mean though as it was only £6 this time. She also really wants a "Little Live Pets" bird, which was reduced. I might ask a relative to buy it for her adoption day gift.

I have had another cold!! I'm taking daily vitamins now but to no avail! It started at the weekend and felt like hayfever.

We have found a vegan ice cream parlour near my sister's house, which is brilliant. You can sit in for ages and they don't glare at you and they have games and stuff. I think we might make it a regular treat.

Right, I shall go and make the most of a few hours peace whilst DD is with grandma. I had hoped they might take her somewhere nice (as we don't have a car), but it sounds like they're taking her to one of the few places we have already walked to this holiday!
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Glad things are a little easier now
  • amycool
    Options
    We ended up paying an extra £40 for protected NCB, which was still cheaper than the cheapest other quote.

Today has been lazy and fun. Went to the park, where they had put a load of sand down (???) so DD played in the sand for ages. Got home and she wanted to design a CD album cover and write some lyrics. Lunch late then DVDs and chocolate bunnies. Horrid Henry is currently doing the parenting. :D

I'm already getting a bit anxious about the return to school on Tuesday as life is currently easy! Parents evening on Wednesday too.
  • Muser1
    Muser1 Posts: 795 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you are ok Amy? X
    Mortgage Jan 13 99260.00 87253 April 2017
    Emergency fund 700.00
  • amycool
    Options
    Muser1 wrote: »
    Hope you are ok Amy? X

Thanks for asking after me. I kept meaning to come on here but I've been busy with a project for DD. Life has been a bit stressful and my mood has been a bit low so I am mostly filling my days with watching comedy.

In money news, we have accepted that our food bill is just going to have to be higher now we're vegan. I think food prices in general have gone up at the same time so it looks even worse. We could easily cut down on the luxury items but I really need them to get me through each day! We're not in debt so it seems silly to eat really cheaply if we can afford nice stuff.

We are still edging towards mortgage neutrality - I reckon 2 more months and we'll be there!

A couple of school trips to pay for this month, plus it's a special day for DD this weekend so I've spent a fair bit on gifts and we'll probably have a day out.

I think not being able to overpay anything until January really affects how much I try to save. It just isn't as satisfying!

I won £5 on a charity lottery I play. It's £4.30 a month. :rotfl: Still, it's charity isn't it?

Might go and watch another Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast...I'll be so sad when I've seen them all.
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Sending hugs A as you sound like you need them! x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors