Green Deal Home Improvement Fund - door slammed shut 24 July no further applications

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
59 replies 7.9K views
12346»

Replies

• highguyukhighguyuk Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    lstar337 wrote: »
    I expect it was removed because it made it too easy for people to qualify.

But why is that a bad thing - as long as we're becoming more efficient?! :D
  • Smiley_DanSmiley_Dan Forumite
    948 Posts
    I think the main reason for schemes to insulate etc are to ensure energy security, as it is much cheaper to insulate eveybodies homes and reduce energy demand than it is to find/create energy/ fossil fuels etc..
    I'm not sure that it is, because if it was why all the stipulations and requirements?

Why must you replace two external doors if only one is poorly performing?

Why can't I add secondary glazing to my double glazing if I know the U values and can see the benefits?

Why CWI for only houses where at least 50% is required? Is the energy lost through the other walls ok? Because that ain't how physics works.

Why not cover loft insulation?

Why must I implement two measures if I only have one to do, therefore stopping me implementing that one thing?

It has all the hallmarks of design by committee. And, knowing government, a bloody large committee!
  • MoneyMateMoneyMate Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Braeside wrote: »
    An option would still be Green Deal. Although it is not as attractive as it was 24 hours ago, I would suggest a Green Deal survey, see what can be paid for, the Home Improvement Fund was not your only option. Your thoughts?

Just emailed me with £150 to do survey (NO Thanks ) :mad:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • edited 12 August 2014 at 11:57PM
    Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 August 2014 at 11:57PM
    The green steal was and continues to me just that - making the population spend money on boilers going in one direction only, those who fit boilers. That's why the money has already gone and that's where the money went to. By £% almost nothing but boilers - what a surprise, Caroline Flint had it correct in Hansard when she said """ that the public are not priced out of taking part, but we must also ensure that the public do not become the victims of cowboys involved in the scheme. """". We have yet to see the outcomes, but already by late 2013 we knew that 60% of the £1.4bn earmarked for the scheme can be spent on homes that are not in fuel poverty. The prediction of 100,000 solid walls treated by 2017 is a joke isn't it ? even a schoolboy without a calculator knows that means it will take over 200 years to complete the SWI's.
    Where do the fuel poor come into this equation - It was never the objective to provide a level playing field to suppliers, the benefits of a competitive market are really not relevant to required outcomes. The real outcomes are the UK governments (1) employment figures and (2) carbon reduction and air quality requirements,what about the health of our citizens this winter :

- the Governments own predicted green deal figures would create 100,000 jobs by 2016

- improved air quality [£0.3bn to £0.4bn]
    - non-traded carbon savings [1.1bn to £2.0bn]
    - traded carbon allowance savings [£0.7bn to £1.0bn]
    - the government would save at least the £100 million allocated for the Warm Front scheme [12 Dec 2012] 2012-13

Replacing your 20+ years old perfect working order boiler is the one GD item that will :

- stare you in the eye each morning
    - form a big slice of the loan and a big slice of the interest
    - that boiler will be about £20-30% more than you could other wise get it installed
    - terms of warranties of your replacement boiler might be dramatically shorter than the loan term
    - making monthly repayments plus interest for an already broken out of warranty boiler could face many GD [ers]

"Foisting debt onto people, by loading ‘the environmental and social obligation costs on those customers that are less likely to leave’, especially those in far more perilous financial situations than my own, to me is socially irresponsible - Therefore, it is important to point this out!" The local gas fitter will charge £3,000,green deal installers about £6,000 [1st doubling of cost] Add the one off loan charge of £83 plus the annual £20 admin fee will push the 7% loan charge up by 2% to 9%. This means the actual cost of the loan is another doubling, so four times the real cost of your shiny new boiler - think about these facts - four times the real cost. The graphic below are the projected June 2014 figures.

GwQHqep.png

Have you noticed in general and in the particular, how in this very thread the unsuccessful early # promoters of the Green Deal have moved from a variety of what they described as a menu good reasons to an exclusive and targeted single main reason of :

- hard up
    - no money
    - don't need any money to do it
    - no spare cash
    - don't need a credit rating
    - cash-strapped householder

Sign here you mug, I've found a new way of selling it, the poor cold, infirm and deprived will come in hoards, they can't get finance at any price in the UK unless they come to me ....... get in line please .. .. sign here.

People with money or credit will see through this and realise a 30% saving, and they are already doing just that. The government published papers 18 months ago expressing exactly those fears, yet the scheme went ahead. Driving the poor in a straight line into debt in a desperate but understandable need to care for their family is a disgraceful act.

As for the ECO comment on """Ed Milibands idea to scrap ECO""", its a good thing from my point of view, we the collective 100% of the population of these islands should not be filling the the boiler fitting companies pockets with a product price-inflated by 30-50% leaving the householder with up to a 25 year loan to pay back at around 7% interest rate. I said 18 months ago """- that's no reason not to warn the huge bulk of the UK that they are being driven into the next 'selling scandal '""". The unknown % of the 13 million unique users a month that visit the MSE site and find this thread now at least have a view of both sides and if nothing else are aware of what pitfalls there are.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • captainhindsight_2captainhindsight_2 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭

As for the comment on """Ed Milibands idea to scrap ECO""", its a good thing from my point of view, we the collective 100% of the population of these islands should not be filling the the boiler fitting companies pockets with a product price-inflated by 30-50% leaving the householder with up to a 25 year loan to pay back at around 7% interest rate. I said 18 months ago """- that's no reason not to warn the huge bulk of the UK that they are being driven into the next 'selling scandal '""". The unknown % of the 13 million unique users a month that visit the MSE site and find this thread now at least have a view of both sides and if nothing else are aware of what pitfalls there are.

What has a green deal loan got to do with eco. It is typical that you don't understand the different schemes and how they work so you have just criticized it...well done typical ignorance displayed
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What has a green deal loan got to do with eco. It is typical that you don't understand the different schemes and how they work so you have just criticized it...well done typical ignorance displayed

Two different areas ECO and GD in my post both going back over 2 years, no apologies from my end - I'm entitled to criticise and I will do so. The whole thing is a very bad mess with only boiler installation companies winning the cash. You might wish I would not speak out and have this playground to yourself - that is never going to happen my friend.

I notice even Martin Lewis is calling for the Government to refund those left out of pocket or to re-open the fund for those left in limbo - about time too.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • captainhindsight_2captainhindsight_2 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Two different areas ECO and GD in my post both going back over 2 years, no apologies from my end - I'm entitled to criticise and I will do so. The whole thing is a very bad mess with only boiler installation companies winning the cash. You might wish I would not speak out and have this playground to yourself - that is never going to happen my friend.

I notice even Martin Lewis is calling for the Government to refund those left out of pocket or to re-open the fund for those left in limbo - about time too.

Matins advice or who ever writes the stuff for him regarding this scheme, eco and the green deal has been very bad, and so has the majority of advice from most 'impartial' people.

I would say insulation installers were making more than boiler installers, as the boiler green deal market is big and very competitive with quotes very close to non green deal companies.

This scheme has not closed permanently there is cash back schemes available until 2017 it is just a lot of consumers over think and confuse then selves and don't act and refuse to take advice from companies involved and get annoyed because they miss out due to their own incompetence and not the scheme.

The rules about this scheme have been very clear from day 1, there is 120m available this financial year when it goes it goes so act quickly. And if people most out is there own fault for not acting quickly.

This is not like other schemes in the past, cow boy companies do not exist in the green deal as they do not pass certification or auditing.

There are cow boy companies pretending to be green deal companies, but that is nothing to do with green deal and more to do with trading standards.

A lot of the critisisn regarding this has been from people who don't know the facts and are just filling the gaps with misguided opinion.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • I paid out for the Green Deal Survey but when I got it back and tried to find a firm registered to carry out the work I came up against a brick wall. I live in a semi rural are in Wales and small firms say it costs too much for them to register, and lots of paper work . This means my survey is useless.

The way it was advertised suggested it would be straight forward.

I am a pensioner and would have qualified for lots of help towards the work I have paid out of my meagre savings for an assessment but there are no local companies registered with the scheme and those further afield were not interested in travelling.

The way the green deal was advertised suggested that there were going to be no problem getting a registered company once I had my assessment.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides