Need advice on which Motability car?

Options
I have a Golf car & neither myself or my wife can get my wheelchair in/out without great difficulty and as we are about to change to a new car I am stuck with what to get that will have room for an electric hoist?

I don't mind an advance payment of a few hundred pounds but can't afford more. I don't want a vehicle that looks like a van. I don't mind an estate but not sure if even a Golf estate would have enough room.

The folks at Motability have said it would be better to get a vehicle that can take the wheelchair without dismantling especially as it is fitted with a power pack. They also say it would be good to have one that would take an electric scooter without dismantling. MY OT says the smaller car boot scooters are no good for me (6' tall & 14.5 stones).

My wife feels the Golf has always been really good & big enough for her so I'm now in a right pickle about what to do?

Comments

• Chorlie
    Chorlie Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Really need more details (ie Auto or Manual)

I just entered the details on the Mobility Site for a 5 Door Estate car with advance payment of upto £500 and 98 cars came up; there is a mix of Auto & Manuals and several makes / models.

This jumps out

http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-and-wavs/ford-focus-titanium-navigator-736878?allowance_type=dla

Why not enter the details yourself (with more details, to narrow it down) and maybe come back once you've narrow it down a bit more

http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-and-wavs/search/
  • luminated
    luminated Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Chorlie since posting my wife has been calling places, suggested by Motability, who deal with the fitting of hoists hoping they will enable more shortlisting.

Can't find a Rolls Royce estate with nil advance payment though
  • CTcelt1988
    CTcelt1988 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    I drive a VW Golf Estate and my wheelchair fits in easily.
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really agree with getting a car that doesn't need your wheels to be dismantled.

It saves so much time and energy just being able to hoist or ride them in and when i had a car meant i was more likely to go out for 'quick trips' as we didn't have the faff of dismantling and loading.

With regards smaller car boot scooters.. have a look at the liteway 6 and 8 range.. they dismantle and can be loaded in a boot..albeit a big one, and my 6ft2 husband rides mine Ok when it needs moving around (although only short distances so no idea on longterm comfort for taller folks).
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When it comes to ours we just choose whatever is best for my partners electric wheelchair and winch, the car is to get her around, so the vehicles ability to do that is the most important thing.
  • luminated
    Options
    Thanks for your help.

My wife has talked to a number of 'experts' & we're going to visit a fitting company soon to take their advice. So far they say they can't get a hoist in our car, even estate cars can be difficult due to the height size of the boot & have said it will probably have to be some form of MPV.
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    If you were dead set against getting an MPV and could live with having a roofbox on the car then there are several companies that make such things. You basically get off of the wheelchair and into the car and then by use of a remote control send a winch down from the roofbox, it winches it up and stows it within the roofbox. Search 'roof rack wheelchair hoist' for some ideas if that's a possible solution.
  • luminated
    Options
    Parva wrote: »
    If you were dead set against getting an MPV and could live with having a roofbox on the car then there are several companies that make such things. You basically get off of the wheelchair and into the car and then by use of a remote control send a winch down from the roofbox, it winches it up and stows it within the roofbox. Search 'roof rack wheelchair hoist' for some ideas if that's a possible solution.

Thanks Parva I've learnt something new today amazing what you can get when you need to look into it.
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    luminated wrote: »
    Thanks Parva I've learnt something new today amazing what you can get when you need to look into it.
    I only know of them because I posted a similar sort of question on another forum and was actually offered one for free by a member if I went and picked it up. It was a very kind gesture but I'm still mobile enough not to need that as yet and personally, I'll probably go down the MPV route if ever I feel I need to.
  • luminated
    Options
    Parva wrote: »
    I only know of them because I posted a similar sort of question on another forum and was actually offered one for free by a member if I went and picked it up. It was a very kind gesture but I'm still mobile enough not to need that as yet and personally, I'll probably go down the MPV route if ever I feel I need to.

We have visited a hoist fitter & they tell us there is no way our car has room. Also no estate car really right & it boils down to MPV's so I need to do my homework on what's available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure