Is this a good quote for Solar?

Options

Comments

• mac2008
    mac2008 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    JimLad wrote: »
    My neighbor came around at the weekend, the one opposite me who already has solar panels, and he was telling me how they cabled in his system. It turns out there is a boxed in drain that runs down the corner of my bathroom and then down through my hallway where the fusebox is. In his house they routed the cable down inside the boxing so hopefully they can do the same at mine and we can avoid the cable on the outside of the house :-)

Looking forward to the guy coming to do the survey on wednesday night now! Want to get them in ASAP to make the most of the last weeks of summer

I'm not an electrician, so happy to be told otherwise, but I still think technically you should not have unsecured cables in cavities. Also if a new build, you might have a job fishing the cable through anyway, as there could be insulation or fire breaks in there (the latter of which would need reinstating).

Although, if your neighbour has had this done, perhaps this is OK. Sounds like a neat solution if it is possible. If not, I would not worry too much about an external cable if tucked by a drainpipe anyway.

Best of luck - hope all goes smoothly!
    My PV system: South West England, 10x 250Wp Trina Solar panels, Fronius Inverter, South facing roof, 35° pitch with no shading.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 July 2014 at 11:01PM
    Options
    With the rising cost of electricity and gas too its only going to get better!

Im impressed that you can get away with no gas hot water at all. I will try it but i recon the early morning showers wont be hot enough.

In the interests of full disclosure, I'm single and the shower is electric. But the total energy figures are genuine..;)
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well the survey fella came last night and confirmed everything was fine for the quoted system. Apparently our roof is 20 degrees off south and a 50 degree pitch. Pretty good?
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • nigelpm
    nigelpm Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    Well the survey fella came last night and confirmed everything was fine for the quoted system. Apparently our roof is 20 degrees off south and a 50 degree pitch. Pretty good?

Check inclination here :

http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-angle-calculator.html

Optimum tends to be around 30 degrees from horizontal from memory - basically changes throughout the year though
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    All booked in for August 6th to install the system. Looking forward to it!
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • NacNac
    NacNac Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

have you consider having batteries to store some solar electricity to be used at night ?

Best regards
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NacNac wrote: »
    have you consider having batteries to store some solar electricity to be used at night ?
    I think you'll find we've all considered batteries but unfortunately batteries for storage are too damn expensive still...maybe give it a few years so prices reduce.

OR, do you know something we don't????
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    NacNac wrote: »
    Hello

Best regards
    Welcome to MSE :wave:

Batteries are expensive. Here is an alternative.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • NacNac
    Options
    Hi Fruit and Nut Case
    thanks for your welcome message

I have not seen any quotation or cost for batteries for a detached house yet. I therefore do not know the cost and how often the batteries need replacing. When people say it is expensive, how much ?

Thank you for sharing this link this is very interesting. However, I do not see how this can currently help individuals and their houses, nor do I see how it can work in northern europe. If I understand the panels are to collect the heat. The heat is either transformed directly into electricity and the excess (or in parallel) is used to heat some product which will create electricity when there is not enough sun.
    This technology seems to rely on the heat of the sunlight.

Normal PV will produce electricity even in cloudy days. It is the amount of light that matter. So I must have missed something.

Nonetheless, this technology, if I understand correctly, is for to be ready for individual houses.

I think thermodynamic panels has a greater future. However, I have not seen any that produce electricity yet. However, this is now going of topic. Maybe we should create a new post to talk about it.

Best regards
  • NacNac
    edited 2 August 2014 at 6:09PM
    Options
    tunnel wrote: »
    I think you'll find we've all considered batteries but unfortunately batteries for storage are too damn expensive still...maybe give it a few years so prices reduce.

OR, do you know something we don't????

Hi Tunnel

as soon as I have some quotes I will share.
    As mentioned in an another post. I am currently gathering information about the different technologies. There are so many at different costs, different ROI, and level of "disruption" in the house.

It will surely be a year before I actually move into Execution mode :)

This forum seems to be a great place to share information and experience even if I read some comments that some people are disguised salesmen.... It is hard to avoid, I guess.
    Nonetheless, as my knowledge increases I hope to be able to give back to the communities. But please bear with me as I am a newbie as the flag next to my name keep reminding me :rotfl:

Best regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport