allowing OP to close a thread?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
17 replies 2.1K views
ljonskiljonski Forumite
3.3K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
There are innumerable threads when the OP asks a perfectly innocent or legitimate question and very soon a mass bullying session begins as to the OPs motives for opening a thread.
2 that come to mind are the broken ankle thread in the Pets section and the cruise compensation thread in consumer advice.

Is it possible for an update on MSE whereby an OP has the option to close a thread once they feel that they have been given sufficient advice?Threads would become shorter and less argumentative!

thankyou for reading
"if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017

Replies

• tomtontomtomtontom
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A good idea in principle but it is far too open to abuse. Just as others can take a thread off topic, so can an OP, and allowing them to lock a thread means they could use that to have the last word, have a go at someone without allowing the right of reply etc. I think it would cause more problems than it solves.
  • ljonskiljonski Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    No system would be fair,and open to some form of abuse, but this way the thread will soon drop off the first page and consequently soon be forgotten. Someone has to have the last word anyway and why not the OP? As i have said the right of reply would still exist over at the MS arms should anyone want to start a new thread with reference to the closed orginal?
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    44.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, no one forces an OP to carry on reading if they don't like the answers they are getting.

• ljonskiljonski Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    No, but once an OP feels that their question or comment has been answered , then as far as the OP is concerned the thread is redundant and anything else is superfluous.
    Its a way to protect the OP especially if they are a newb.
    The Genie in some respects then can be put back in the bottle.
    Even if you are an established poster, then asking questions in another section that you don't usually inhabit, can sometimes be quite intimidating.
    Regulars to these sections often read the same questions in slightly different forms anyway and can be less tolerant!
    If anyone else wishes to comment then, they will have to go through the process of opening a new thread or commenting on another that has been opened subsequently.
  • AtidiAtidi Forumite
    943 Posts
    ljonski wrote: »
    There are innumerable threads when the OP asks a perfectly innocent or legitimate question and very soon a mass bullying session begins as to the OPs motives for opening a thread.
    2 that come to mind are the broken ankle thread in the Pets section and the cruise compensation thread in consumer advice.

Is it possible for an update on MSE whereby an OP has the option to close a thread once they feel that they have been given sufficient advice?Threads would become shorter and less argumentative!

thankyou for reading

As others have said, I think this could lead to it's own problems.

As for the two threads you refer to, have you reported these to the Forum Team? If so, they will review and take any action they deem appropriate (which may or may not include locking the threads involved) :)
  • OP can request the forum team close their thread if the are happy they've got the information they require or indeed if they are unhappy.
  • cajefcajef Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    As peoples opinions about a thread are just opinions and may be completely different than others who apart from the forum team should be able to make a judgement as to whether it should be closed.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke. :|
  • PlymouthMaidPlymouthMaid Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I like the 'debates' which always ensue. As said above the OPs can cease reading when they have had enough of it.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cajef wrote: »
    As peoples opinions about a thread are just opinions and may be completely different than others who apart from the forum team should be able to make a judgement as to whether it should be closed.

Quite so. The purpose of a forum is that it's a place for people to debate and exchange opinion.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • whitewingwhitewing Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather a thread gets locked than deleted - threads help more than the original poster.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides