PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I have lost my OS ways, help!

Options

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I really do try every morning to be in the right mindset but come mid afternoon it's gone out the window.

We're just about to have a significant drop in income as DD1 starts Uni and things like Child benefit, tax credits and maintenance drop. It really should be the kick up the backside I need....which is obviously why I couldn't be faffed to cook last night (I was working on something and lost track of time) so ended up at the supermarket for something to bung in the oven....then of course I picked up other stuff blah blah blah.

My store cupboards are full and need organising so I think that's where I need to start.

Our coal merchants just called with an offer that saves us £20 so I've taken that offer up (wasn't planning on ordering coal until September but hey - £20 is £20! )- it's a start.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Same here Pooky I have been trying to prepare us as best I can and if I fit anymore food in the house it'll explode lol so at least we won't starve while I'm readjusting the budget but it's going to be very hard as our outgoings won't go down at all.

I've paid our rent up a month in advance and the utilities are a full quarter ahead,I have a small emergency fund but thats about all I could do.

I always do my bank check on the anniversary of my joining MSE :)
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello Pooky and D&DD!

D, long time no see, stay alert for a future London meet, I think it is time for the London OS Posse to gather again, in IKEA, or anywhere else suitable!

As I started saving again, the Universe heard me responded in kind! Today I got a letter from my electricity people, I am more than £200 in credit! Going to ask them for a cheque, am very pleased.

All went according to plan today and am about to have dinner and then babysit, so will say good night now.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I enjoy faffing with menu plans. I have only this week finalised our Autumn one. It's soon to be tested to make sure it runs smoothly. I am needing (yes it's a need as it will save doing soups or steamed puds on the hob) a second slow cooker.

Looking forward to warming milky drinks for supper. Enough of these salady things already although pining for more HM elderflower cordial. :( loving the thread Caterina. Love how it's OS only. Looking forward to hints, tips, cheats and methods in our madnesses.
  • D&DD
    Options
    Glad your day went well,I'd love that Caterina and Trina would too she's had a tough time recently.

Fuddle its a shame you aren't closer I've retired mine to the cupboard as I don't need it now but it'd cost a fortune to post :(
    I managed to actually make some cordial this year nearly missed the flowers as they were so early here due to the hot weather but happy to say our cherry plum jam stocks are now replenished :)

Still on the E-cigs so thats helping the budget but really need to get to grips with the food side of things again.Since my eldest started work and takes a packed lunch I just can't seem to organise myself at all for some reason,although it doesn't help when he asks for one thing and decides he doesn't want it after I've bought it!!!

I'm going to dust off my notebooks and start keeping a spending diary again for now I think.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And as if someone was reading this from HMR C - I got a letter this afternoon detailing the drop in child benefit from 1st of September - so that's £13.55 per week gone....

It's focused my mind somewhat.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • D&DD
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Pooky I'm going to redo my SOA tonight I think and see what can be tweaked,I haven't done that for a while its a worry isn't it.(congrats on your DD's Uni place!)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi everyone. We'll I've worked like a demon and am exhausted. Managed to get some carpet roll ends to put down on top of the awful floorboards. Still no where near to getting carpets yet. No point yet because we still have a couple of months work yet. The roll ends will make temporary rugs for now and help keep the dust down. Plaster and brick dust gets everywhere:eek:

I also managed to try out my new steamer today. Cooked potatoes and sugar snap peas. Hopefully I can get into this and save money by not having several pans on the hob. I've been told that steaming veg helps retain vitamins too

My raspberries are doing well. Didn't think we would get any this year because I only planted them in march but we are getting a good bowl full each day

Cooked a small piece of gammon today. Plenty left for a second meal tomorrow. So quite a good day getting back in the OS groove.
  • Dragon_on_roller_skates
    Options
    Good morning, all!

Busy morning so far. The promised rain seems to be holding off, so I've hung out two loads of washing and the children's bedding is currently washing. There's also oatmeal and raisin bars cooking in the oven, making the whole house smell delicious (and also warming it up a little! Brrrr, it's cold today.). Dinner's in the slow cooker, so that's taken care of, in case First Born's playdate after school runs towards teatime. Plans for the rest of the day include making some phone calls and, if I find the energy, sorting through the children's wardrobes. They both seem to have had a growth spurt of late, so I need to figure out what to send to charity and what to keep. :)
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    ............... Today I got a letter from my electricity people, I am more than £200 in credit! Going to ask them for a cheque, am very pleased ..............

Inspired by this, am just about to venture outside to read my meters - last gas/elec bill was estimated, so I'm living in hopes.

She who dares, might just be lucky .....................!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure