PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I have lost my OS ways, help!

Options

Comments

• DianaMattos
    DianaMattos Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Caterina, I too have fallen off the wagon somewhat over the last five years, though I do remember your name on these boards!
    I have had three children in the last 5 years and I have become very much time poor even though I don't go out to work. Think three school runs a day at the moment...! Anyway, there have been some things that I do, like baking all my own bread, meal planning and writing a shopping list, rarely using the tumble dryer which are all part and parcel of life for us. But my husband is going to be going self employed in the next few months, so I think I need to get back into gear again. I used to spend hours reading this board and getting so inspired, so perhaps I need to do that again.

Anyway, all the best with your home improvements, and hope the kitchen is ready soon :)
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you DianaMattos and good luck with your return to OS too!

Today my OS action were:

1. Bought a few mature veg plants for the allotment. Tried seedlings before but they all died of cold, then plug plants and they died of slug attacks. Now the allotment looks much more respectable with a few plants in. Not as cheap as from seed but still more economical than shopping for veg!

2. Made DH's packed lunch for tomorrow, this is a habit that had slipped quite badly and which will save us around £80 per month.

3. My lovely Indian neighbour gave me some of her homemade food as she had had guests and had a lot of food left over. Not free technically because I shall get her a nice bunch of flowers tomorrow (she has fed us LOADS since we have been kitchenless) but nevertheless a lovely gesture and amazing dinner!

Let's all keep each other updated on how we plan to return fully to our lost OS ways, it might help!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,770 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd like to get back to OS ways too, so I'd love to join in if I may? I've moved house from a huge 5 storey Victorian heap (it was cheap when we bought it as it was a "project") to a 3 bed room, 1 flight of stairs normal house.

I haven't been OS for a long time as it took ages to sell the house and the house itself was making me miserable. I was like a sloth in the end. I now have a manageable house with a garden and a washing line, a copy of "A Girl Called Jack" cookbook and I'm determined to get back to OS.

I left all of my tatty old furniture that had seen us through building work on the project behind for the new people, and have bought a few pieces of good quality stuff. This should be easier to clean and make look nice and tidy, also the fact that the whole house doesn't take as long to clean is a bonus.

Caterina, I was months without a kitchen once while mine was built in the old house. I was so desperate for a decent meal with lots of veg by the time I could cook again, and the dust it caused......who knew that dust came in so many colours. You have my sympathy. I used to live near where you lived many moons ago too. My mum and dad ran the newsagents in Charlton and I loved going to Greenwich park.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »

Also, I have a dilemma: what would be better for me, taking into account financial factors AND happiness quotient, to look for more work, or to economise?
    Economise first .... then decide if it's worth working to pay for what you think you're missing out on. Otherwise you'll just work, get more money, then spend it all without noticing as you've still not got the economising knocked into its right place and will just be working more and spending more.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Economise first .... then decide if it's worth working to pay for what you think you're missing out on. Otherwise you'll just work, get more money, then spend it all without noticing as you've still not got the economising knocked into its right place and will just be working more and spending more.

Normally I'd encourage anyone to work but I can see the sense in PN's post. I'm in the fortunate position where I don't have to be mse but I choose to be because I hate being ripped off and I can't bear to waste my hard earned. I'd suggest you definitely get back into making your money go as far as possible then as/when you do get a job you'll really feel the benefit.
  • Caterina
    edited 14 July 2014 at 7:27AM
    Options
    Thank you all again for your wise words, they really resonate with my thoughts.

CRANKY40 thanks for reminding me of the Jack cookbook, I have it somewhere and am now inspired to find it and use it!

PasturesNew and maman you are confirming exactly what I have been thinking. I am also in the lucky position that I don't have to rush off looking for work - although to grow any substantial savings I might have to - as we have enough to live on. I am planning to go back to an OS lifestyle and see how I can economise, then I shall have a clearer view whether to find more work.

My OS plan for today is:

1. Do the ironing myself instead of sending it to the dry cleaner. I have done this in the past because of lack of clean space during the building works and the despair of dust getting into everything. But now the dusty work is over (nearly) and I can make space for the ironing board in my bedroom.

2. Commit to a NSD today

3. Take meritaten's advice and prepare a spending diary, no need to buy one, as I have a few old notebooks that can be stripped of a few written pages and reused.

4. Finalise my CV ready to be sent out if I see a worthwhile job opportunity.

Have a good day!
  • Caterina
    Options
    Update on yesterday and plan for today:

I ended up not doing any of the planned stuff as the good weather demanded LAUNDRY! With no washing machine in the home, laundry is a lengthy affair trekking from friends home to friends home with baskets full of clothes and bedding. It had accumulated enough to need 3 loads, which I managed to do in 3 separate friends houses, but the basket is empty now! I am really grateful to have good friends offering their machine, because the laundrette is £6 a pop!

Re. NSD I managed Ok except that in the evening DH said we need to order the worktops, and *POOOOFFFF* quite a chunk of money disappeared from our account! But these were budgeted for a long time ago and we need them for the new kitchen so in reality it was a "daily expenses" NSD.

Today my plan is:

1. Top up the shopping using as many vouchers as possible

2. Tackle the ironing

3. Look at our finances to see exactly where we are

If I have time, CV etc, but that is not a priority at the moment, I think that checking our financial status is more urgent (economise before thinking of going back to work).
  • pablakeman
    pablakeman Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When spending money, don't think "is this worth it for x" , think "what else can this money buy me".

In economics, it is called opportunity cost. Too many people only think of money with regards to what they are buying, rather than relative value. Of course, as you said you are comfortable, this isn't as much of a worry, but can help to put it into perspective.

I think it also helps, if not more so, to think of price differences in this way. For example, in my favourite coffee shop, a double espresso is 2 pounds. So for example, if I save 2 pounds of a 100 pound shop, it may not sound like much but I know this is a coffee for me :)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • bigmaz
    bigmaz Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wish I was an OSer. We waste so much money each month, I get so frustrated. My OH is hopeless, and she doesnt really bother if we have money or not. I would rather just not worry, and keep a steady spend each month. After bills, food petrol etc, we have £800 per month, £250 go's to paying off a holiday we had, the rest just dissapears within a week or 2, then struggle for the rest of the month :P once the holiday gets paid, it sounds like more money each month, but I know it will just dissapear as well :P

At least you have an OS history Caterina, so can fall back into it. I am jealous of this, lol :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bigmaz wrote: »
    I wish I was an OSer. :)

Your dream could come true bigmaz and you don't need a fairy godmother either. Just read around the OS threads and ask for help if you need it. We all started somewhere!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure