Car Seat Conundrum

Options
Hi Folks,

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and starting to think about the essentials we will need. One of which will be a car seat.

I want one that can be taken in and out of the car easily so with a base. I have a standard car and will have to have a belted base but OH has a car with ISOFIX.

Ive had a look arround and Maxi Cosi pebble has a belted base and ISOFIX base for the same seat. I cant seem to find any others or am I being blind? Maxi Cosi isnt the cheapest brand either, whilst Im all for safety, money saving also has to play a part. I'll probably pick up the bses 2nd hand but go for a new seat.

Has anybody else got any recomendations??

Thanks

Comments

• andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Graco-Junior-Baby-Group-Sport/dp/B006UAQCHE

It's ideal, the base is belt fit and the seat just clips in and out. You can get a pushchair for it to clip onto too.

My car has isofix, but I just use the belt, so you could do the same I suppose?
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Options
    I would buy a cheaper brand, perhaps like Graco as they do a few options with bases, but I really wouldn't buy either part second hand. The base is essential for keeping the seat held in and in a crash/bump should be replaced in the same way as a seat so probably shouldn't be bought second hand either (unless you know the history).
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought a Mamas and Papas Ultima travel system and, though pricey, money well spent. I had the isofix base in my car and husband had the belted base for his. Fantastic as it was simple to put up the pushchair frame and then I just pushed one button on the car seat to release it and then clicked it into the frame. So much easier than faffing around unstrapping and restrapping baby - especially if little one is asleep. The carrycot/pram module also has a stand so can be used as a Moses basket and was much larger than the whicker ones. Our daughter slept in it til she was 7 months, so that definitely got lots of use!
  • teaandcakeordeath
    Options
    I'm getting the joie stages car seat. It belts in, stays rear facing up until 4 years old (which is much safer than putting baby forward facing from 9kg...) and lasts until they're 7 years old. It's about £130. It isn't compatible with a travel system but it is light enough and easy enough to move between cars and fit with the belt. Like others have said I personally wouldn't but anything car seat related second hand unless you're buying off someone who you absolutely trust and know hasn't been in an accident. I recommend you go to some of the larger baby stores and speak to the car seat fitters- they'll let you try the seats out in both of your cars and give you tips and advice that suits what you want. I would read up on rear facing seats for longer if I were you though. :)
  • GlamGirlie
    GlamGirlie Posts: 432 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I thought almost all car seats could be used with either ISOFIX or seatbelt? However I understand the ISOFIX fixings aren't the same in every car, so what may fit in a VW Golf, for example, may not fit in a Ford Fiesta using ISOFIX.
    I am employed as a manager in a financial services institution. My views are entirely my own.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    GlamGirlie wrote: »
    I thought almost all car seats could be used with either ISOFIX or seatbelt? However I understand the ISOFIX fixings aren't the same in every car, so what may fit in a VW Golf, for example, may not fit in a Ford Fiesta using ISOFIX.

:huh:

Isofix is a european standard fixing. Any Isofix seat will fit any isofix car. That's the point of isofix.

Certain seats may be better in certain cars - most extended rear facing seats are very snug in ford focuses and the like. But the fitting is universal. Not all seats have isofix, and not all cars do either.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The Maxi-cosi seat with the separate isofix base is worth every penny, especially if you have a buggy frame that the seat can also clip into.
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Worth mentioning the types of cars - some have particular quirks narrowing down the range of car seats you can have (vauxhalls being the one that springs to mind).

We had a britax infant carrier seat which I always coped with fine just using with the seatbelt to fit it - but has belted and isofix base options as well. I just got sick of bashing my blooming shins with carrying it around in and out of the car and ended up with our first class plus that stays fitted in the car... but it all depends if you have a baby that isn't bothered by being clipped and unclipped into the car (my youngest can stay asleep being removed from the car, popped into a shopping trolley seat, pushed around Tesco, back into the car and driven home - sleeping is a particular talent of hers and when she zonks - armageddon wouldn't wake her up).
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • topdaddy_2
    topdaddy_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    I have a maxi cosi pebble and cant see why anyone would buy or use a base it it. The seat belt goes around and has three points of contact same as what it would for a twenty stone adult.
  • Pington
    Pington Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a Kiddicare local to you, pop along and investigate their closing down sale.

I went at the weekend and picked up the Maxi Cosi Familyfix base for £90 (usually £150). I'll get the Pebble seat later (~£120 in John Lewis etc) or maybe the Cabriofix (~£92). Both these seats can be used with the base or just with the seat belt.

Regarding different brands in different cars, I found that the Recaro base was no good in my car (Skoda Octavia) because of the way the rear seats angle down towards the back rest. It meant that the seat fitted too upright rather than allowing the baby to lie flat. The Maxi Cosi was fine though. Always worth having one of the experts fit it and test it for you in your particular car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure