Not using a designated disabled parking bay

Options
Hi guys,

I live on a road where it is almost impossible to find a parking space at certain times and often have to park up to 5 mins away from my house as the other roads close by have resident parking restrictions. My neighbour has a severely autistic son and quite rightly they have a rather large designated disabled parking space which is one space down from outside my house. I have no problem with this at all and welcome it. They have two cars and swap the disabled badge between the two depending on what car requires the use of the disabled space. On a few occasions now I have noticed that both of their cars have parked in a normal space without using their designated disabled parking space which stands empty. Seeing that this disabled space is free yet they have decided to use another space which means I have to park a few roads away kind of annoys me. What are the rules with regards to disabled bays? If they have a designated bay outside their house do they have to use it. I see their usage of the other non disabled spaces as pretty selfish if they have designated space that they could use instead.

What are your views on this and what should I do. Thing is I kind of get on with them and don't want to ruin the ok neighbourly relationship but I personally feel that what they are doing is a bit out of order and inconsiderate towards the other people in the road.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AIUI, a disabled bay can be used by anyone with a disabled badge - its use isn't restricted to the person who asked the council for it.

As you get on with them, explain that when they don't use their space, it causes you problems.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought anyone with a blue badge could use these bays?

If so maybe someone was in it when they came back and had to park elsewhere?

Also maybe contact highways/local council to see what the rules are.
  • emil_jabo
    emil_jabo Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, on the occasions I have seen it is clearly not the case that another disabled badge holder has used the space. The disabled space has been left empty for hours. This isn't a road that has many non resident users as it is the end of a residential cul-de-sac. It has the parking problems because of the amount of cars owned by the residents and their simply not being enough spaces for all of them. When I say get on with them, I mean in the saying hi and taking each others parcels kind of way etc and this kind of thing is enough to perhaps push that relationship into the realms of not good so I thought it best to find out if there was a way to anonymously sort this without causing upset or any negative vibes. As in the long run its better to get on with your neighbours but I feel that in this instance their behaviour is bordering on the inconsiderate.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The BB accompanies the person it was issued to, who on occasion may be being transported in yet another car.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Horseunderwater
    Horseunderwater Posts: 3,406 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Or the badge may have expired & council is tardy issuing new one.
  • Mojisola
    Options
    emil_jabo wrote: »
    I thought it best to find out if there was a way to anonymously sort this without causing upset or any negative vibes.

You can report people for using the space when they're not entitled to but reporting someone for not using the space - I don't know what could be done about that.

Is it possible that the lad was taken out in someone else's car so the parents moved their cars so that the disabled space could be used by that vehicle when he was collected and brought back?
  • emil_jabo
    Options
    Thanks, I do understand all of these excuses that everyone has so far posted. I can assure you that I have taken them all into consideration before I even thought of posting this as believe it or not I'm not just trying to be an a-hole neighbour. In these instances I know that these excuses do not come into it. They are all at home at the time with the designated parking space left empty. They have simply for whatever reason chosen to not use it...
  • emil_jabo
    edited 7 July 2014 at 11:02AM
    Options
    The disabled space has only just been installed, maybe a month ago. :)

I agree that it is a tough one and I doubt anything can be done but how, who, and where do you vent your frustration about situations like this where your neighbours are being unjustly inconsiderate to everyone else on the street who could use the extra free space.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can confirm that these bays outside people's homes are for all blue badge holders.

http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/274/disabled_people_-_parking_bays/540/disabled_parking_near_your_home

Since your neighbour isn't using theirs I suspect that what a previous poster has said about their blue badge expiring well may be the case. Or perhaps they no longer need it and you could apply to have it removed.

I am at a total loss as to why you cannot have a quiet word along the lines of ' I hope you don't mind my asking but I've noticed that you aren't using the disabled parking bay. Just wondered as I am having real difficulty parking myself and wondered if there was a problem that I could help with..... (blah blah blah)'

I really can't see anyone having a problem with this.
  • Mojisola
    Options
    emil_jabo wrote: »
    Thanks, I do understand all of these excuses that everyone has so far posted. I can assure you that I have taken them all into consideration before I even thought of posting this as believe it or not I'm not just trying to be an a-hole neighbour.

In these instances I know that these excuses do not come into it. They are all at home at the time with the designated parking space left empty. They have simply for whatever reason chosen to not use it...

We suggested "reasons", not "excuses".

If the neighbours are all in and the disabled space is empty, you either have to speak to them about it or put up with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure