4G - worth it?

Options
rliu
rliu Posts: 49 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi I was just offered Vodafone's SIM only plan for 3G for 900 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data for £10.40 a month for 12 months with first 6 months free and first 3 months unlimited data. This seems a pretty good offer to me (I was already a Voda customer on their most basic SIM only plan at £11 a month). Before the cooling off period runs out, I just wanted to know if it's worth shopping around for a 4G deal instead? I have a Blackberry Z10 which I believe is 4G compatible.

Comments

• ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    If you're going to use under 500mb of data each month and you're happy with the current level of 3G service Vodafone provide then 4G is not worth it. Especially if 4G isn't even in your area yet/you're not in a town/city.

That's a very good deal for a Vodafone SIM Only. Effectively £5.20 a month for 900 Mins, unl texts and 500mb data. You're not going to find a 4G deal like that anyway. Three is the only network that comes close.
  • hunkyidol
    hunkyidol Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    I know it may involve having your handset unlocked, but I have just come to the end of my contract with EE. I was paying £41 a month for unlimited minutes, texts and calls. I have had my handset unlocked and put in a pre-pay sim on Three. £15 per month for unlimited 4G, 3000 texts and 300 minutes. A pretty good bargain I thought.
    Maybe worth considering. My 4G speed runs at approx 42mbs
  • martin.cat
    martin.cat Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM

These are threes sim only deals and 500mb is available for £6.90
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly, there are different flavours of 4G - a 4G iPhone 5 (for example) cannot connect to Vodafone's service but will work still on 3G. You'll need to check your handset covers both 4G bands.

As for the price, nope I thing you are overpaying considerably - I get a great service from 3UK again £6.90pm, and 4G.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No, not worth it.

4G is only available in certain cities. While that's all growing it's still not worth it yet. Look again in a year or so.
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    Firstly, there are different flavours of 4G - a 4G iPhone 5 (for example) cannot connect to Vodafone's service but will work still on 3G. You'll need to check your handset covers both 4G bands.

As for the price, nope I thing you are overpaying considerably - I get a great service from 3UK again £6.90pm, and 4G.
    There are not different flavours of 4G any more than there are different flavours of 2G and 3G.

The iPhone 5 simply came out when there was no 4G in the UK, so wasn't designed for our frequencies (bands 3, 7 & 20)
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rusty! wrote: »
    There are not different flavours of 4G any more than there are different flavours of 2G and 3G.

The iPhone 5 simply came out when there was no 4G in the UK, so wasn't designed for our frequencies (bands 3, 7 & 20)

You were almost right, but didn't quite get all the facts correct ;).

The iPhone 5 was designed to include band 3 (1800Mhz), that's why it will work on EE 4G and Three 4G, as they have 4G LTE operating at 1800Mhz.
    ====
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooh so close :D
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rusty! wrote: »
    oooh so close :d