Annual leave for part-time staff - have I got it right?

Options

Comments

• poorlittlefish
    Options
    So there is no point in their Bank Holiday allocation being 8 x contracted hours when they end up getting the equivalent of 9.5.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 29 June 2014 at 12:38PM
    Options
    So there is no point in their Bank Holiday allocation being 8 x contracted hours when they end up getting the equivalent of 9.5.

Until you stop confusing yourself over weeks, days, hours you will never understand how to do this properly(ie. they way they do it now).
  • Sky_
    Sky_ Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

It's irrelevant. You need to stick to their hours of holiday allocation and the hours they would work on that day. If that person was not due to work 9.5 hours on that particular day, then why should those hours be removed from their allocation? Removing the number of hours that person was due to work that day is the correct way to calculate their remaining allocation.

Bringing numbers of days in (rather than numbers of hours) for part time workers, just confuses things. Stick to the hours that person would have worked on that day, when taking it off their holiday allocation, and you'll be fine.
    2022. 2% MF challenge. £730/3000
  • getmore4less
    Options
    With this new system you propose how does booking 1 day work?
  • poorlittlefish
    Options
    I meant that doing that gives them 9.5 days off for Bank Holidays when the allocation they've been given is for 8. As no-one works the 8 Bank Holidays in my company anyway, why is it unreasonable for them to record their Bank Holidays in line with their leave allowance for them, so that their Bank Holiday allocation gives them 8 days off, as intended?

Example:

8 Bank Holidays x 4.5 contracted hours per day = 36 hours allocated for Bank Holidays (not my calculation - this is how it's done for part-time staff).

Staff book the allocated 4.5 hours off for each Bank Holiday = 8 days, which matches the number of Bank Holidays hours allocated.

However, if staff only book 3 hours for each Bank Holiday then their Bank Holiday allowance gives them 12 days off (36 divided by 3)... yet there are only 8 Bank Holidays and the Bank Holiday allowance is supposed to be for booking Bank Holidays only.
  • poorlittlefish
    Options
    With this new system you propose how does booking 1 day work?

One day would equal 1/5 of their contracted weekly hours, in line with how they are paid. Whether one day or one week is booked off, the total amount of leave taken then adds up to the five weeks all staff get. Their annual allocation is 5 x weekly contracted hours and this is what they're paid for. Their 8-day Bank Holiday allowance is also calculated according to contracted hours.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    So thye just book the days one at a time so in a "week" they only work 4 days they only use 4/5 or are you going to make them take another 1/5 for a day they don't work?

What hapens if they have a pattern that has them working 6 or 7 days in a "week" do thye have to use more then a weeks worth of hours?

If they work variable hours in a day they just pick the days when they would normaly work more than the 1/5 and they get loads of extra holiday.

How are you defining a "week"

Next you will have to document exactly how this will work and cover all senarioes.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    I sugest you write this up in a form that can be part of the contractual T&C
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 June 2014 at 2:49PM
    Options
    I meant that doing that gives them 9.5 days off for Bank Holidays when the allocation they've been given is for 8. As no-one works the 8 Bank Holidays in my company anyway, why is it unreasonable for them to record their Bank Holidays in line with their leave allowance for them, so that their Bank Holiday allocation gives them 8 days off, as intended?

Example:

8 Bank Holidays x 4.5 contracted hours per day = 36 hours allocated for Bank Holidays (not my calculation - this is how it's done for part-time staff).

Staff book the allocated 4.5 hours off for each Bank Holiday = 8 days, which matches the number of Bank Holidays hours allocated.

However, if staff only book 3 hours for each Bank Holiday then their Bank Holiday allowance gives them 12 days off (36 divided by 3)... yet there are only 8 Bank Holidays and the Bank Holiday allowance is supposed to be for booking Bank Holidays only.

Because if they only book 3 hours on Monday, when they work the rest of the bank holiday week, they work the hours that make them back up to 22.5 hours.

Ie: if they were scheduled to work only 3 hours on that Monday they will be scheduled to work another 19.5 hours Tuesday to Friday. If you take away 4.5 hours on that Monday (even though on that Monday they would have
    worked only 3 hours), then the rest of their shifts that week would need to be reduced so that they were only scheduled to work 22.5 hours in total, otherwise they would be working 1.5 hours unpaid.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Sky_
    Sky_ Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Legally, all staff have to have a fair amount of time off (pro-rata'd). If your new system means that they lose hours of leave they are legally entitled to, then you will be in hot water.

For example, where I work, part-time staff often have more allocated holiday weeks than full-time staff, because of the bank holiday rule. They get the same proportion of leave to working hours as full time staff, but can end up having more actual weeks off. It's just how it works out. Bank holiday leave is not just for taking bank holidays, it is a legal right to have a certain amount of paid time off (be it hours or days) each year.

We also don't work bank holidays.

Go ahead with your plan but watch out for fireworks and hot water.

You sound very jealous of the part time employees.
    2022. 2% MF challenge. £730/3000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport