🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Annual leave for part-time staff - have I got it right?

Options

Comments

• poorlittlefish
    Options
    Podge52 wrote: »
    I think I see where the op's coming from.

Are you saying that although they only use three days holiday they get paid 1/5th of their annual holiday pay,and they continue to receive this 1/5th for each holiday they take?

Yes, I think that's sort of it, but they work five days per week.

Their pay remains the same each month, so all the weeks when they work below their contracted hours they're paid for their contracted hours, to balance out the few weeks when they work over. In other words, their pay is averaged over the whole year, rather than each month reflecting the shifts they've actually done.

However, they always book leave on weeks when they work fewer hours and deduct those fewer hours from their entitlement, rather than deducting the average number of hours to match how they're paid. For each week they do this they end up with the equivalent of an extra half day's leave.

Their annual leave entitlement is the hourly equivalent of five weeks x their contracted hours. By deducting less than their contracted hours each time they end up getting far more than the five weeks that everyone else has.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Yes, I think that's sort of it, but they work five days per week.

Their pay remains the same each month, so all the weeks when they work below their contracted hours they're paid for their contracted hours, to balance out the few weeks when they work over. In other words, their pay is averaged over the whole year, rather than each month reflecting the shifts they've actually done.

However, they always book leave on weeks when they work fewer hours and deduct those fewer hours from their entitlement, rather than deducting the average number of hours to match how they're paid. For each week they do this they end up with the equivalent of an extra half day's leave.

Their annual leave entitlement is the hourly equivalent of five weeks x their contracted hours. By deducting less than their contracted hours each time they end up getting far more than the five weeks that everyone else has.

You seem to have made your mid up and are not listening to why it is currently correct and what you are proposing is wrong.

If you continue with this all that will happen is they change the weeks they take off to the ones where they work more than the contracted hours.

Then they will be getting more holiday pay time off than the "normal" workers.

what's the shift pattern?
  • poorlittlefish
    Options
    You've got that one wrong because if they book off the weeks when they work more hours then they'd have to take more hours off of their entitlement, so end up with less leave. They've told me this themselves.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    You've got that one wrong because if they book off the weeks when they work more hours then they'd have to take more hours off of their entitlement, so end up with less leave. They've told me this themselves.

That's now which is correct the holidays hours match the shift hours for the time taken off

With your proposal it will have to be average hours whichever week they take off.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    How are BH currently done?

They should be rolled into the total holiday hours and used up same as current hours.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If it helps, here is a worked example of a large organisation using holiday by hours.
    http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/personnel/during/leave/holiday/calculation/part/
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • poorlittlefish
    Options
    They get an allowance (in hours) for the Bank Holidays on top, which, divided between the eight Bank Holidays, works out to what one day's contracted hours would be. Again, though, they've been booking the Bank Holidays according to whatever they might have been working that day, rather than deducting 1/8 of the hours they have been allocated to cover Bank Holidays.

They don't work Bank Holidays anyway (the company shuts on those days) but have to be recorded onto the system.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    If it helps, here is a worked example of a large organisation using holiday by hours.

Step 5 is where the OP is going wrong with their understanding.
  • poorlittlefish
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the example given is of someone who does the same hours each week, rather than working on a rota system where the hours change.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    They get an allowance (in hours) for the Bank Holidays on top, which, divided between the eight Bank Holidays, works out to what one day's contracted hours would be. Again, though, they've been booking the Bank Holidays according to whatever they might have been working that day, rather than deducting 1/8 of the hours they have been allocated to cover Bank Holidays.

They don't work Bank Holidays anyway (the company shuts on those days) but have to be recorded onto the system.

Highlighted is wrong,

if the closed day fall in their shift pattern they deduct the hours they would have worked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport