Basel Mulhouse Airport car hire

Options
I'm hoping one of you lovely forumites will know the answer to this - I am flying into Basel later this year and need to hire a car to travel in Switzerland. Can I hire one from the French side because it's £50 odd cheaper - is this because the cost of a vignette for travelling on Swiss motorways isn't included? If I pay for this separately it's £40 so I wouldn't be saving any money.

I've tried ringing the car hire companies but they don't seem to know and short of calling the airport hire desks I don't know what else to do - so I was hoping someone on here might have tried it and know the answer?
"I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux

Comments

• Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You've summarised the situation well. :)

Sure, rates in France can be cheaper, because if you use French motorways you pay for them as you use them rather than have them included in the rental.

On the other hand, if you hire in France and drive in Switzerland WITHOUT using Swiss motorways, that would probably be cheaper. Remember that motorway signs in Switzerland are green and non-motorway road signs are blue. And your journey will be slower because of traffic lights, roundabouts and so on. But it can be done.
  • skint_chick
    skint_chick Posts: 872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Roger1, I knew I was going to be paying one way or the other. I don't really want to avoid the motorways since I arrive and go home both at commuting times. After a lot of checking prices I managed to bag a rental for just £29 more from the Swiss side and that's ok for a quicker journey and being able to drive anywhere I want for a week :)
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Enjoy! :)

I think you have made the right decision, it's simple and practical.
  • rawy
    rawy Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I rented there I rented from the french side but emailed in advance asking for a car with a vignette on it, which they obliged.

Its always worth a email, wouldn't bother ringing though.

Rawy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport