Non financial retirement planning?

Comments

• Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,628
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Looking forward to replies as we have a similar 'problem' (early retirement after 35 years work).

We'd love to winter in a hot climate, but what do you do with your pets back in the UK?
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,784
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 28 June 2014 at 7:01AM
    Beenie wrote: »
    Looking forward to replies as we have a similar 'problem' (early retirement after 35 years work).

We'd love to winter in a hot climate, but what do you do with your pets back in the UK?

Our dog usually goes where we go, that's why I said Spain or Algarve, because you can take your dog on the car ferry to Northern Spain and drive South. Otherwise we would fly to Florida and/or Turkey, Morocco etc.

We took our last dog to Spain for 3 weeks a few years ago, we went to Nerja, but now think that is a bit too much in the main tourist zone for dogs (not allowed on beaches, have to be kept on leads in national parks etc.) We have heard that around the Costa De La Luz (Cadiz area) they are much more tolerant of dogs due to far less tourists and not being populated with locals as much. So we plan to explore that area, we looked at the Algarve last year (flew for a week's holiday and left our dog with my parents), they seem more dog friendly but maybe that was because it was December and far less tourists around.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 28 June 2014 at 6:18AM
    We are in our mid-60s and have been 'retired' for ten years. Just before we retired, we both went part-time (my husband had to on health grounds). He did 2.5 days and I did three. (But be careful, this MAY affect your Pension).

When we retired (him in July 2004, me in September 2004), we went to live in southern Spain. Our time was taken up with renovating our house, learning new customs and attempting to learn the language, my husband painted too. While we were here we lived solely on my husband's Teachers' Pension.

We returned to the UK in November 2011. Since then we supplement our Pensions by house/petsitting. My husband has also discovered another source of income from our pet-sitting - he paints Pet Portraits.

We also have a variety of voluntary activities: my husband runs an Open Mic at the local Pub once a week, he also plays for the homeless at the Soup Kitchen and for charity events. I run a CAP Job Club once a week and am a trained Job Coach. We both also volunteer at our church.

We now both have State Pensions as well a my husband's Teachers' Pension and I am due to get my (tiny) LG Pension in August.

So that's our story, hope it helps :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Go away! You have sent this msg before. Pedant!

This is about over 50's money saving - we have different concerns including how we manage on a possibly reduced pension if we retire early. I think you gave us this message with the weightwatching thread? If my memory is wrong then blame early dementia.

The OP is looking for money saving ways to ease him from a work related to a pension related income - he does not want to overspend his budget on expensive pursuits after retirement.

Actually if you read the op you will see it specifically EXcludes anything to do with money or finance. I would have said that this is a little more than a minor concern, it is, in fact, germaine to the reasons for posting anything on this thread. If you just want to yak and gossip watch loose women or go to the arms. the latter was, incidentally, advice given to the OP on another thread.
    I wonder how long it will be before your post gets expunged, using words like that tut tut..
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Our dog usually goes where we go, that's why I said Spain or Algarve, because you can take your dog on the car ferry to Northern Spain and drive South. Otherwise we would fly to Florida and/or Turkey, Morocco etc.

We took our last dog to Spain for 3 weeks a few years ago, we went to Nerja, but now think that is a bit too much in the main tourist zone for dogs (not allowed on beaches, have to be kept on leads in national parks etc.) We have heard that around the Costa De La Luz (Cadiz area) they are much more tolerant of dogs due to far less tourists and not being populated with locals as much. So we plan to explore that area, we looked at the Algarve last year (flew for a week's holiday and left our dog with my parents), they seem more dog friendly but maybe that was because it was December and far less tourists around.
    Can I suggest you look at Almeria? A bit closer than Nerja, the warmest & driest area in Spain and very quiet in winter with doggy friendly beaches :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • mr.wendal
    mr.wendal Posts: 22
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone much to think about :j
    I like the idea of going part time. I think me and oh should be able to drop to a 4 day week for the last year or so in work without taking too much of a financial hit.
    That should give us an extra day to try new hobbies.

We both like travel but I think we have too many ties at home to live abroad over the winter. But that may change.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    Actually if you read the op you will see it specifically EXcludes anything to do with money or finance. I would have said that this is a little more than a minor concern, it is, in fact, germaine to the reasons for posting anything on this thread. If you just want to yak and gossip watch loose women or go to the arms. the latter was, incidentally, advice given to the OP on another thread.
    I wonder how long it will be before your post gets expunged, using words like that tut tut..

For goodness sake! There are lots of threads in most of the forums that have nothing to do with moneysaving. Always has been, always will be.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • whodathunkit
    whodathunkit Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Beenie wrote: »

You could use a housesitter but we used to have someone who looked after the dogs in her own home and came in to feed the cats. We never spent the whole winter but found 4/8 weeks out of the British climate was beneficial to both health and outlook.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Errata wrote: »
    For goodness sake! There are lots of threads in most of the forums that have nothing to do with moneysaving. Always has been, always will be.

You're quite right but that is because the threads are not "Money saving" threads so that's alright.
    This one clearly is, unless you don't know what's going on.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,934
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Most of my retirement activities actually cost me very little.
    I do voluntary work on two part days a week.
    I enjoy spending time with family, including occasional childcare, very MSE for my daughter!
    Church activities.
    Singing in choirs. Subscription and other occasional costs, but minimal in relation to the pleasure it gives.
    I find it helpful to have some structure to my week, but plenty of flexibility too.
    It is good to do things that enable you to mix with people of different ages, as otherwise it is easy to find you are only seeing other retired people
    But the free bus pass, once you are old enough, is so useful.

Hope this helps the OP and is still MSE!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure