🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Refunding without a defect

Options
Sold something yesterday, and realised that there is a small problem with the item. Advised the buyer who wants to cancel the sale.

How do I refund without incurring a defect ? Looking at the item, I can't find any way of requesting a cancellation.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D

Comments

• mrs_sparrow
    mrs_sparrow Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    Options
    Click on the buyers Paypal Payment in 'My Ebay' via the drop down. Go via that option and refund in full.

Then go to resolution centre, choose the 'buyer and I agree to cancellation' then choose 'Other'.

In there put 'I noticed on packing there was a problem with the item, I have sent a full refund this morning and the buyer agreed to a cancellation' or whatever you need to say.

This will not get you a defect.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,355 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I refunded a change of mind buyer last month and refunded direct through PayPal but have not reclaimed my FVFs on eBay- and am not showing a defect.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mrs_sparrow
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I refunded a change of mind buyer last month and refunded direct through PayPal but have not reclaimed my FVFs on eBay- and am not showing a defect.

No you wouldn't.....

Call me cynical and all but this new 'defect system' wouldn't be a way of eBay keeping FVF's from sellers, would it?? So sellers end up too scared to reclaim their fees for fear of a defect?

No, silly me, of course it isn't!! (still missing that rolly eye smiley this one will have to do) :cool:
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, buyer said that eBay said she must have her refund before agreeing to the cancellation

I refunded and she agreed to cancellation, so will have to see what happens

I have a recent defect for item as described but the item was brand new an unopened, so no idea why that warranted a low star. This defect system will finsh me off !!
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,355 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just had an email to say eBay have protected me by removing a 1* for dispatch times. Well whoopie dee, be still my beating heart.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sequence
    sequence Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Options
    Click on the buyers Paypal Payment in 'My Ebay' via the drop down. Go via that option and refund in full.

Then go to resolution centre, choose the 'buyer and I agree to cancellation' then choose 'Other'.

In there put 'I noticed on packing there was a problem with the item, I have sent a full refund this morning and the buyer agreed to a cancellation' or whatever you need to say.

This will not get you a defect.

This is wrong, choosing other will get you a defect. I can't remember exactly which ones don't give a defect, but other will get you a defect.
  • mrs_sparrow
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I've just had an email to say eBay have protected me by removing a 1* for dispatch times. Well whoopie dee, be still my beating heart.

I've just had one too, telling me they removed a negative. I think there is some BS being spun somewhere. I checked my FB about 3 hours ago!!
  • mrs_sparrow
    edited 26 June 2014 at 9:32PM
    Options
    sequence wrote: »
    This is wrong, choosing other will get you a defect. I can't remember exactly which ones don't give a defect, but other will get you a defect.

*Sigh* Please get your facts right before posting - NO, choosing 'Other' will not. Let me go post my Dashboard again.
  • mrs_sparrow
    edited 26 June 2014 at 9:34PM
    Options
    Again - here is my dashboard as of last week. I have done another 10 refunds since then and I now have 3 defects for INAD and 4 for INR:

iconActiveChk_16x16.gif 74 cases closed - you've received your final value fee credit.

Items and listings % Count
    Low detailed seller ratings for item as described
    0.53% 3
    Opened cases for items not as described
    0.00% 0
    Returns for items not as described
    0.00% 0
    Postage and delivery

Low detailed seller ratings for shipping time
    0.00% 0
    Opened cases for items not received
    1.25% 7
    Neutral or negative feedback

Neutral or negative feedback from buyers 0.00% 0
    Canceled transactions

Canceled transactions (out of stock or sold to someone else)
    0.00% 0
    Transactions: 561

I have shown the number of cancellations for the same 3 months as per the dashboard. I'd say about 1/3 of these I have chosen 'Other' as the reason as buyer has wanted something I do not have, the rest are refunds. I clearly do not, I did have 11, I now have 7. Follow the instructions that I gave you and you will NOT get a defect.

PS. I sell ladies clothing and have a high rate of returns/exchanges/cancallations because people buy to try on or do not check the sizing on the title - just in case anyone is wondering what I sell. Not boomerangs (which still makes me chuckle).
  • mrs_sparrow
    Options
    Well, buyer said that eBay said she must have her refund before agreeing to the cancellation

I refunded and she agreed to cancellation, so will have to see what happens

I have a recent defect for item as described but the item was brand new an unopened, so no idea why that warranted a low star. This defect system will finsh me off !!

Most people do not bother following up and in 8 days you can cancel the sale. If she declines the cancellation, simply go onto Live Chat and tell them the item number, they will see it is refunded and cancel it for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport