We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Terrible garlic crop

Options
jonewer
jonewer Posts: 1,485 Forumite
Anyone had a good garlic crop this year?

Mine has been dreadful! Just trying to figure out if this is due to the wet warm winter or just my own local conditions (and possibly a touch of rust).

Thanks!
Mortgage debt - [STRIKE]£8,811.47 [/STRIKE] Paid off!

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Planted 2 types last November. Normally I would expect to be harvesting about the first week of July. This year things have been a bit different.

One variety - Marco - all keeled over a couple of weeks ago, which is very early. The bulbs are all well formed and tasty, but very small.

Second variety - Thermidrome - are much bigger and still standing, and just starting to show signs of rust, but I think will be OK and give a normal crop.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm trying garlic for the first time so this is interesting reading for me. Planted Lautrec and Vayo late last year along with a bulb from the supermarket (just for the hell of it). I don't have scapes yet, but of the few that have been attacked by slugs (now i didn't see that coming) i've been able to harvest them and use them like small leeks - so no great loss there, but the bulbs are tiny/non-existent

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The best we have ever had on our allotments. Large perfect bulbs, no disease and from home produced cloves for 4 years now. Jolimont and abigensian

We did have an awful lot of rain, as seen every day on the news
  • jonewer
    jonewer Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2014 at 10:21AM
    Options
    I have one variety re-sprouting already. Another has some decent sized bulbs but still not very good overall - this is the one I think has rust - I think its Carcassone Wight. The other two are marble-sized bulbs.

Unfotunately my labels floated away with the floods over winter so I dont know for sure which varieties I planted. Less than helpful I know!

Edit - In fact I'm now sure its rust, having dont a google image search!
    Mortgage debt - [STRIKE]£8,811.47 [/STRIKE] Paid off!
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I planted three varieties this year - Cristo, Thermidour and one other that I can't remember the name of.

The one I can't remember was awful - very small bulbs, and several didn't even split.

Cristo came out very early and I got good medium-sized bulbs with a very strong scent!

Thermidour has just been harvested and generally looking good, a few huge bulbs, a couple smaller than average, most looking to be a very reasonable size (at least supermarket size).

All three varieties suffered with rust towards the end of the growing period, thankfully at a late enough stage that it seems not to have affected the size of most of the bulbs (aside from the one I can't remember!). I think it's just because we had such a very extremely wet period which can bring on rust.

So not a dreadful year, but could have probably been even better without the rust!
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mine are pants this year (variety Music from Really Garlicky Co), they split into skinny spring onion sized bulbs, but the layers holding them together are slimy.

Shame as I hope to harvest at least 80 cloves each year.

Am undecided if to try again next year, probably will, but for this year buying from the shops would have turned out cheaper.
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Yes a poor crop for us too, this year... I think this was our third year from homegrown bulbs, can't recall the variety, previously always large healthy bulbs, but this year quite a lot of rust and small bulbs... :think:
    4 May 2010 <3
  • tommyknocker
    Options
    Don't know what all the kerfuffle is about when you could buy 5 for 69p in Aldi recently. I notice garlic is also very cheap in lots of other stores.

Cue the brigade of . . . "there's more satisfaction growing your own".
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, it is the Greenfingers board after all, so it's hardly surprising...

And my homegrown garlic are prettier (nice purple streaks) and I can grow lots of different varieties.
  • trollopscarletwoman
    Options
    Don't know what all the kerfuffle is about when you could buy 5 for 69p in Aldi recently. I notice garlic is also very cheap in lots of other stores.

Cue the brigade of . . . "there's more satisfaction growing your own".

Missing the point.

When you grow your own you know how it is grown and what chemicals or hopefully none are used in its growth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure