Ombudsman Timescales

Options
Hi,
I don't know if anyone can advise.
We were contacted 3 years ago by a company called Claims Advice Bureau who took on a PPI against Santander for us.
I know that in hind sight we should have gone direct to the Ombudsman ourselves.
18 months ago the Ombudsman rules in our favour but Santander appealed the decision.
I have contacted the Ombudsman many times but all I get is "Santander have not brought any evidence to support their appeal. They are busy and will get to it eventually".
I have contacted Claims Advise Bureau and they are just about useless. I have even asked them for a detail of communications that they have had with The Ombudsman, seeing as they will want their commission somewhere down the line. After ignoring my request for nearly 8 weeks they responded saying it will cost me £58 to send it!!
Has anyone else had dealings with Claims Advice?
What options do I have if I am not happy with the way this has been represented?

Thanks,

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can't do anything.
    Now you have to wait for the Ombudsman to make a decision.

If you want to cancel your CMC you will probably have to pay them what the MoJ call a 'reasnable fee'. I doubt they'll present you with anything like a reasonable fee if you do cancel, but you can argue about it.

They will have done nothing more than you could have done, so in all likelihood, your claim would be at exactly the same stage as if you'd done it yourself.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you do realise that the CMC does nothing after sending your complaint in?

You are in the queue and an ombudsman decision can take 2 years or so. No CMC or anyone else can speed it up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You wouldn't have had a different outcome or difference time scales if you did it yourself. If you canceled CMC now they may just withdraw your complaint at FOS leaving you to start again.
  • quaybab
    quaybab Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 June 2014 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Can't help with CMC.
    The general rule is the FOS give 2 weeks to respond to any communications.
    There is some flexibility and the time scale can be extended on request, say double.
    A final decision has to be accepted or rejected in a month so you shouldn't really have to wait more than a month for progress onto the next stage.
    You can ask for your case to be queued up for ombudsman final decision and if they refuse, complain to the FOS http://www.fos.org.uk/publications/factsheets/complaints-about-our-service.pdf and then loose your case.
    You could speed up Santander by making vague threats to their solicitor -
    https://www.dwf.co.uk/people/david-robinson

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • WatchMan
    WatchMan Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    roonaldo wrote: »
    You wouldn't have had a different outcome or difference time scales if you did it yourself. If you canceled CMC now they may just withdraw your complaint at FOS leaving you to start again.

The OP could contact the FOS directly and ask for the CMC to be taken off the case. FOS would oblige and the case would be left as it is with no detriment to the OP... i.e. no need to start again.

The OP would then have to contact the CMC, cancelling their services and deal with any fees they charge at that point.
    quaybab wrote: »
    Can't help with CMC.
    The general rule is the FOS give 2 weeks to respond to any communications.
    There is some flexibility and the time scale can be extended on request, say double.
    A final decision has to be accepted or rejected in a month so you shouldn't really have to wait more than a month for progress onto the next stage.
    You can ask for your case to be queued up for ombudsman final decision and if they refuse, complain to the FOS http://www.fos.org.uk/publications/factsheets/complaints-about-our-service.pdf and then loose your case.
    You could speed up Santander by making vague threats to their solicitor -

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

I think you may have missed the issue.

The case will be in a queue for a final decision to be made. The issue is that this is a very long queue.
  • Navis
    Navis Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate your comments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure