We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Npower to be investigated by Ofgem following billing backlash

Options

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I hear on the grape vine that their ceo has refused to give up his bonus of thousands , infact enough to buy a house
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardycow wrote: »
    I changed to npower earlier this year, I have submitted my opening reading online numerous times but still shows online as no readings. I have rung and spoken to an agent who took all my readings then told me he would sort it later as his computer also wouldn't accept them, Checked today still shows no readings submitted. although my direct debits are showing. Until they sort this i will not get the £400 credit from previous provider. Thankfully my FIT stays with Scottish Power.

I spoke to someone last week and they did me a new bill while I waited, followed by an online update within a promised 72 hours. My emailed ( as requested) readings , which triggered an incorrect bill, besides ones made by a meter reader had been ignored, until then, despite the call centre person being able to tell me what my emailed figures were. ( I was told it wasn't a long-standing problem !)
  • RuthOfford
    Options
    I'm having an absolute nightmare with nPower and I can't believe they're still allowed to operate.

I thought I switched to them in 2012 but it turns out they were actually billing me for six months when another company was supplying our gas and electricity!

They've admitted the fault but I still haven't got the £526 they owe me for that period which means I'm currently £500 out of pocket. The other energy company called me every day with debt collectors for this money so I've ultimately had to pay it without getting the money back from nPower.

It's been going on months and they still can't resolved it. When I ask when I'll get my money they just say they don't know! They managed to refund me £170 of it a few weeks ago, then what appeared in the post? A letter saying I owe them this money!

I feel like a complaint can never be resolved with them. One solution just leads to another problem. I have the Ombudsman investigating now because I just want to switch as soon as possible!

I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever actually resolved a complaint with them and how they went about it. Any help on this would be gratefully received!
  • ExtraMask
    ExtraMask Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    I hear on the grape vine that their ceo has refused to give up his bonus of thousands , infact enough to buy a house

I've heard he will waver it and it'll be done publicly. Still doesn't make up for customers having to stuffer poor account management, meter read requests after already submitting them 2 or 3 times, second class postage meaning customers for have much time to pay their bills on receipt of bill, the list goes on.

The correspondence department moved to India and last I heard they're approximately 3 months behind so anyone waiting for a reply to their emails shouldn't hold their breath.

Another site is closing this year with some being made redundant and others being relocated. The company don't care about staff or customers, only money.
  • davehsug
    davehsug Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Stoke site closes on Friday, but I'm told they're actually losing system access after Wednesday, so anybody dealing with someone they know to be based in Stoke, get in quick!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Each time I've rung about billing the call centre has been in the North East.
  • davehsug
    davehsug Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The stoke office was not a front office operation. It dealt with back office billing & some metering stuff. You would usually only speak to some one there if they called you or you were asked to call them via a letter or email etc.
  • leanne_a82
    Options
    We have had a complete nightmare with npower and don't seem to be getting anywhere with it.

We have moved house several times but taken them with us, but in January we received final bills for two previous addresses within a few days, one of which we had moved out of the previous February, so were quite shocked. We ended up arranging to set up a payment plan to cover the previous addresses, for which we never received the paperwork, but they did take extra payments for a short while. We then noticed that the due balances on the previous addresses had been paid with the payments we had made for our current address so queried this, but didn't really get any answers and then the payment plan appeared to stop.

Many things have happened in between, but the latest thing was that the previous addresses had a zero balance and then we received a reminder for one of these addresses! Looking at the account online, they had effectively made a payment to our current account from the previous account one day and then sent us a reminder the following day despite not even having sent us a bill for this! This now leaves us with an old account that we owe money on. We contacted them about a month ago to sort this out and were told to expect a call back the following working day which we are still waiting for, so last week, we emailed them as we are fed up with sitting on the phone to them and we haven't yet heard back.

I don't know when this will ever end! :( I have even threatened in my last communication to leave them as I am so unhappy.

I was wondering whether we are able to claim some money back from them on the basis of this in the article...

"As part of the energy industry's Backbilling Code, Npower can't charge customers for bills going back more than 12 months where the fault lies with the company. So if you receive a bill from Npower for energy used more than a year ago that's been delayed due to the firm's billing problems, you don't have to pay it."

Our final bill from the oldest address covered 10 Oct 2012 to 10 Feb 2013 and the bill was issued 09 Jan 2014, so on the basis of the above, should we therefore not be liable for our energy for 10 Oct 2012 to 09 Jan 13 as this was more than 12 months from the date billed?

• Misty7
    Misty7 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    RuthOfford wrote: »
    I'm having an absolute nightmare with nPower and I can't believe they're still allowed to operate.

I thought I switched to them in 2012 but it turns out they were actually billing me for six months when another company was supplying our gas and electricity!

They've admitted the fault but I still haven't got the £526 they owe me for that period which means I'm currently £500 out of pocket. The other energy company called me every day with debt collectors for this money so I've ultimately had to pay it without getting the money back from nPower.

It's been going on months and they still can't resolved it. When I ask when I'll get my money they just say they don't know! They managed to refund me £170 of it a few weeks ago, then what appeared in the post? A letter saying I owe them this money!

I feel like a complaint can never be resolved with them. One solution just leads to another problem. I have the Ombudsman investigating now because I just want to switch as soon as possible!

I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever actually resolved a complaint with them and how they went about it. Any help on this would be gratefully received!

In my experience the only way to get your money back is by going to the Ombudsman and ask for compensation, they had over £1000 of my money for over 6 months and were virtually laughing about it when I phoned, saying they couldn't refund me. I transferred to another utitlity company and eventually got the money back plus the compensation I requested. My son has also recently left npower because they constantly charged him the wrong rate, he had his final bill which was in credit, followed by another bill demanding payment.
  • leanne_a82
    Options
    Thanks for your message Misty. We have applied to switch elsewhere now and also spoke with npower again yesterday who say that as the end of the billing period was within 13 months of when we were billed, we are not due/eligible for a refund. I think I may take this up with the Ombudsman anyhow, rather than just taking npowers word for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport