We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Npower to be investigated by Ofgem following billing backlash

Options

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's the G4S model of staff recruitment.
    Summer is here, lots of students coming onto the summer job market.

I hear that freshers these days are neither numerate nor literate, so the universities are forced to put them on Maths and English booster courses. This means after one year of university, they can now add and subtract. The ones that can multiply will be supervisors. The rare breed that can divide will be crowned Call Centre managers.

Put them on zero hour contracts, which terminate by October.
    Then back to normal, until summer 2015. How to exploit the labour force, give the customer manure, grab a big bonus and go on to the next company before the OfGem hits the fan: I should be teaching an MBA somewhere.
  • mardycow
    mardycow Posts: 120 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I changed to npower earlier this year, I have submitted my opening reading online numerous times but still shows online as no readings. I have rung and spoken to an agent who took all my readings then told me he would sort it later as his computer also wouldn't accept them, Checked today still shows no readings submitted. although my direct debits are showing. Until they sort this i will not get the £400 credit from previous provider. Thankfully my FIT stays with Scottish Power.
  • Bluebirdman_of_Alcathays
    Bluebirdman_of_Alcathays Posts: 2,859 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2014 at 11:05AM
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    It's the G4S model of staff recruitment.
    Summer is here, lots of students coming onto the summer job market.

I hear that freshers these days are neither numerate nor literate, so the universities are forced to put them on Maths and English booster courses. This means after one year of university, they can now add and subtract. The ones that can multiply will be supervisors. The rare breed that can divide will be crowned Call Centre managers.

Put them on zero hour contracts, which terminate by October.
    Then back to normal, until summer 2015. How to exploit the labour force, give the customer manure, grab a big bonus and go on to the next company before the OfGem hits the fan: I should be teaching an MBA somewhere.

You hear wrong.

I have a Chemistry degree from a Russell Group institution. Not Oxbridge granted, but I can read, write, add and subtract. Hell, I can even perform long division - skills I acquired in primary school, just like everybody else I know!

Furthermore I started my career in a call centre for an energy company - I graduated in the depths of a recession, for which I blame "your" generation (you started the sweeping generalisations....)

The students of today study harder than ever. My father and many of his generation spent their 1960's university years taking LSD. You can stick your pious attitude up your !!!!.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You hear wrong.

I have a Chemistry degree from a Russell Group institution. Not Oxbridge granted, but I can read, write, add and subtract. Hell, I can even perform long division - skills I acquired in primary school, just like everybody else I know!

Furthermore I started my career in a call centre for an energy company - I graduated in the depths of a recession, for which I blame "your" generation (you started the sweeping generalisations....)

The students of today study harder than ever. My father and many of his generation spent their 1960's university years taking LSD. You can stick your pious attitude up your !!!!.

For a generalisation, I seem to have hit a bulls eye.

I know it's horrible to be tarred with the same brush just because some other call centre should be called Customer Abuse 'R Us. I think I'm a good landlord who is kind and responsive to tenants, but fresh tenants always behave like they are dealing with a scorpion.

Let me just say that Tony Blair opened the flood gate to the hell spawn, and the "students" I interview for tenants from the local poly turned university would make a baby cry.
    Bluebirdman_of_Alcathays Posts: 2,859 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2014 at 11:40AM
    Options
    For a generalisation, I seem to have hit a bulls eye.

I know it's horrible to be tarred with the same brush just because some other call centre should be called Customer Abuse 'R Us. I think I'm a good landlord who is kind and responsive to tenants, but fresh tenants always behave like they are dealing with a scorpion.

Let me just say that Tony Blair opened the flood gate to the hell spawn, and the "students" I interview for tenants from the local poly turned university would make a baby cry.

If your point is that there are too many universities - I agree. Maybe you should have made it sooner, rather than suggest that no first year students can read?

I'm sure you know that the vast majority of the "New" Universities came into being during the Major administration, and had nothing to do with Blair (he should be in the Hague for many reasons, but creating the University of Bedfordshire isn't one of them).
  • Elainemary
    Elainemary Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I guess I'm like Caddyman - one of the lucky ones. We submit readings when requested and refunds go direct to our bank account.( Mind you, they don't tell us it's coming ). Our DD's are raised or lowered as necessary ( they don't tell us that's happening either ). Luckily I can prove my bank account figures, having been a double entry book - keeper in a past life. Even if you can't do this just READING your statement tells you what's happening.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm sure you know that the vast majority of the "New" Universities came into being during the Major administration, and had nothing to do with Blair (he should be in the Hague for many reasons, but creating the University of Bedfordshire isn't one of them).

Actually, Tony Blair was so good at taking credit for things, I always thought it was him that devalued the university degree by converting Polytechnics into universities. All that "Education, Education, Education" chanting.

Fair enough, the conversion thing was in 1992, before Tony Blair moved into Downing Street. But that didn't stop him from claiming they created all those university places, so everyone can go to university.
    Options
    Actually, Tony Blair was so good at taking credit for things, I always thought it was him that devalued the university degree by converting Polytechnics into universities. All that "Education, Education, Education" chanting.

Fair enough, the conversion thing was in 1992, before Tony Blair moved into Downing Street. But that didn't stop him from claiming they created all those university places, so everyone can go to university.

Fair play, that's one of the finest reverse ferrets I've seen on here. I can now satisfy myself that everything you spout is a load of old b0ll0£ks.
  • Hillman_Minx
    Options
    Reassuring, thanks :grouphug:I thought it was just me!
    Yep they just sent a big bill for an account I closed in credit a year and a half ago. I 'phoned them and explained that the account was closed and squared up they agreed and I thought that was the end of it.....
    Nope
    Then they sent a final demand for the non existent bill. It's been a bit of a hair tearing experience. They would lose if they went to court but that is still a stressor for me
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's good to read a well balanced, carefully thought out argument - it's a pity this isn't one
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport