need help about possible old debt...

I got a letter this weekend from a debt collection agency reference a debt of over £7000 from Barclaycard masterloan.

I left the UK for 11 years (1999) and only returned 3 years ago.

I called the company (Portfolio recovery associates) and after finally asking them over and over they said the debt was from 1998 and that they took the debt from another company and that they have written before.

I no longer live at the address they sent it to (my parents house) and they always forward mail on and I have never received anything before. I have worked hard the last few years to be completely debt free. I have no debt whatsoever and managed to get a mortgage recently.

They gave me a number to report as possible fraud which I did, however after 16 years I honestly cannot remember any debts I may have inadvertantly left when I moved countries.

I have read a few threads here about the 6 year rule... as this letter is the first I have received and it is now 16 years later... if I do find out that the debt is mine am I protected under the 6 year rule??

Any and all advice/help given would be most appreciated as I really don't need this now that I have finally got my finances sorted

Thanks

Comments

• Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello and welcome to MSE :wave:

You'd be better posting this on the main Debt Free board here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76
  • Waggy1971 wrote: »
    I got a letter this weekend from a debt collection agency reference a debt of over £7000 from Barclaycard masterloan.

I left the UK for 11 years (1999) and only returned 3 years ago.

I called the company (Portfolio recovery associates) and after finally asking them over and over they said the debt was from 1998 and that they took the debt from another company and that they have written before.

I no longer live at the address they sent it to (my parents house) and they always forward mail on and I have never received anything before. I have worked hard the last few years to be completely debt free. I have no debt whatsoever and managed to get a mortgage recently.

They gave me a number to report as possible fraud which I did, however after 16 years I honestly cannot remember any debts I may have inadvertantly left when I moved countries.

I have read a few threads here about the 6 year rule... as this letter is the first I have received and it is now 16 years later... if I do find out that the debt is mine am I protected under the 6 year rule??

Any and all advice/help given would be most appreciated as I really don't need this now that I have finally got my finances sorted

Thanks

Please help if you already have your answer!!!

The exact same thing has just happened to me, I paid off a debt months ago (I know I did, I keep records of everything) and I've just been contacted by the company I owed the money to telling me it had been passed on to portfolio recovery.

I called them and to pass security gave my address details. I have only EVER lived at 2 addresses so when one postcode failed I have the other, and that also failed. Which is bizarre considering I used to talk to these people weekly. They said as I didn't pass security they couldn't talk more. I was furious.

I called Portfolio Recovery and the exact same thing happened. No record of my postcode, mobile number or email address so I didn't pass security. I'm beyond angry that this debt is in my name still when i've paid it off, and no one will discuss with me.

Did you get to the bottom of your paid debt? If so, how?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport