Money Moral Dilemma: Should we share in sister-in-law's cashback?

Comments

• There are really more important things in life to get in a snit over ! So your sister-in-law is actually using what's between her ears to work at getting small amounts of money to improve life for her family (which presumably is YOUR family too). Why get all fired up because she's money-savvy ? Jealousy ?
    Get a life (and a quidco account) !
  • If you feel hard done by, seek the deals out yourself and take it in turns to benefit. You can either split the bill or ask her for cash every other visit.

You shouldn't expect to benefit from her canniness unless she offers it - to ask her about it or to expect it is just downright cheeky!!
  • ShadowPuma
    ShadowPuma Posts: 143 Forumite
    I'll do this at times to add to my cashflow of paper money. Pay for the whole £50, get £25 in cash from my friend and its £25 I don't have to get out of the bank for a month until the credit card is due.

The amount of cashback is probably tiny. She's not doing you any disservice here.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If you want to earn points or cashback then way to do so would be to chose to pay for your own share directly, or to be more proactive and be the first one to step up and say you will pay.

She then gets the choice of giving you cash, or paying her share separately.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Bear in mind that (a) Cashback can take up to 6 months to be credited (b) credit card rewards may take 3 months to be received - with some it is an annual reward so although the sister in law is benefitting it is not an immediate benefit.

I use a cashback site and Tesco clubcard credit card for my children's home and car insurances and I don't pass on the savings when I eventually receive them. After all I have done all the work in sourcing the cheapest prices for them, therefore saving them money, they receive other cash gifts from me during the course of a year and frequently I am not even repaid by the kids for their purchases!
  • Fair play to her !! it sounds like she is the one doing all the research. If you aren't happy with the situation then like others have said get your own discounts etc.
  • gaving7095
    gaving7095 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Simple: No, and DO do it yourself :-) This stuff can add up nicely.

Alternatively simply pay for the stuff yourself via whatever means: "Neither a borrower or a lender be".
  • Wanted: Sister in law to sort bills and buy stuff. Will consider Sibling Adoption, Sibling Surrogacy, Common-in-law Sibling, Alt Siblings R US, Law Abinding Sistem....Virtua-lawly (no, not sis, sisis lawfable ...
    Please apply to my Personal Assis...t...ant...i...ci...pa...tion.
    (Ok, so now you know how much my time is worth :o
  • No! And don't be so mean and petty
  • samsung66
    samsung66 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Let her enjoy the rewards but just let her know that you are doing it and its nice that she benefits.Maybe she will share with you.
    Otherwise get your own id ask her to recommend you and get the cashback through your own log in id.in this way both benefit.:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure