We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MPC may raise Interest Rates to 6% in August!

1…78101213…19

Comments

  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    november: ruled out because it's too close to xmas. october unlikely because i think by then there will be a fairly big market sell-off. that leaves september and just one last possibility of a .50 increase. unlikely? yes. but that would be the only credible thing to do. but they don't have the guts...

    well, i'm still not ruling out that .50 increase. but if it's going to happen, it needs to happen before october.
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

    THE KILLERS :cool:

    THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • Snow_Dog
    Snow_Dog Posts: 690
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Guy_Montag wrote: »
    10% YoY increase isn't much of a stabilisation in my book, I accept it's better than 20% YoY, but it's still over twice wage inflation.

    I'm still comfortable with my prediction for 6.25% by Jan 2008.

    Bet you 50p its not 6.25% by January 2008

    :beer:

    They wont go 50 points in one go, too drastic, and that would mean 2 more 25 point rises in the next 4 meetings, worst case they will run with another one, not two, the data and time of year really isn't consistent with 2 more rises.


    Mind you, I wouldn't mind either way so I will risk 50p on a punt. Good luck Guy and may the best mystic meg win the pot.
  • Guy_Montag
    Guy_Montag Posts: 2,291
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Snow_Dog wrote: »
    Bet you 50p its not 6.25% by January 2008

    :beer:

    They wont go 50 points in one go, too drastic, and that would mean 2 more 25 point rises in the next 4 meetings, worst case they will run with another one, not two, the data and time of year really isn't consistent with 2 more rises.


    Mind you, I wouldn't mind either way so I will risk 50p on a punt. Good luck Guy and may the best mystic meg win the pot.

    I make it five meetings, four in 2007 & one in 2008. ;) The problems are, Mel, a) I don't know if we'll get a pre-Christmas kick, or a post-Christmas kick & b) I hate giving bookies money, I never get any back off them :rolleyes:
    "Mrs. Pench, you've won the car contest, would you like a triumph spitfire or 3000 in cash?" He smiled.
    Mrs. Pench took the money. "What will you do with it all? Not that it's any of my business," he giggled.
    "I think I'll become an alcoholic," said Betty.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm sticking with up a 1/4 point in September and possibly another in November - hasn't been any downside news on inflation so far this year, and el BankO d'Excess are still behind the curve. They can't now move up by 0.5% or back-to-back 0.25% (could have done last year) - too much like panic....
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've put a very small bet on a 25bp fall. It probably won't happen but I reckon the chances are much better than 140-1.

    If it comes in, £280 should pay for Mrs Generali and the Generalissimos to have a few Sunday lunches at The Savoy (best value Sunday lunch in London IMHO).

    After what has happened in the credit markets in the last week or so, the chances of a rise are virtually nil unless the pound starts to fall quickly vs €.
  • Guy_Montag
    Guy_Montag Posts: 2,291
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What make the sunday lunch so good? Is it expensive? (Just thinking the morning after the next GHPC meet)
    "Mrs. Pench, you've won the car contest, would you like a triumph spitfire or 3000 in cash?" He smiled.
    Mrs. Pench took the money. "What will you do with it all? Not that it's any of my business," he giggled.
    "I think I'll become an alcoholic," said Betty.
  • Melissa177
    Melissa177 Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    Sunday Lunch at the Savoy is supposed to be very very good.

    BTW Generali - take your missus to Amerigo Vespucci in Canary Wharf near where you work: it's very good!
    Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Jefferson
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    <OT>
    Guy_Montag wrote: »
    What make the sunday lunch so good? Is it expensive? (Just thinking the morning after the next GHPC meet)

    3 courses of some of the best cooking in London for twenty odd quid with fantastic service in a beautiful dining room. The wine list rocks too. It's also a great place to take well behaved kids (but if yours are monsters please leave them at home - don't ruin my meal).
    Melissa177 wrote: »
    BTW Generali - take your missus to Amerigo Vespucci in Canary Wharf near where you work: it's very good!

    I'm City side rather than Docklands. Write-up in Square Meal looks good enough to pay a trip down river though. A mate works for Lehmans over that way. Perhaps I'll go there with him.

    </OT>

    The way things are right now, I reckon there's more chance of me winning Miss World than the MPC raising rates.
  • Melissa177
    Melissa177 Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    Generali wrote: »
    I'm City side rather than Docklands. Write-up in Square Meal looks good enough to pay a trip down river though. A mate works for Lehmans over that way. Perhaps I'll go there with him.

    If you're in the City, I also recommend Le Saint Julien in Smithfields - and there's a half price deal on TopTable at the moment, whilst we're all MoneySaving.
    Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Jefferson
  • Melissa177
    Melissa177 Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    BTW - sorry, we're going completely OT here!
    Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Jefferson
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.