PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The quickest meal you can make?

Options

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Dare I ask what !!!!!! Spaghetti is?

Its just spaghetti in a tomato based sauce.
  • codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    Quesadillas - tortilla, spoonful or two of salsa chucked on, sprinkle with grated cheese then fold in half and fry a couple of minutes on each side.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options

Oooh thank you - yes it is! I just got my Parma and Proscuitto mixed up in my description! It looked really tasty when she was making it. I have bookmarked now so won't lose it again!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My other quick ones are -
    Fresh ravioli or tortellini (bought not homemade - life is way too short) with a tomato sauce - takes minutes and you can quickly whizz up a tin of tomatoes with some herbs in the time it takes the pasta to boil.
    Good old fry up - more filling and more tasty than beans on toast.
    Pitta with chicken or lamb, salad and a dip. I prefer home made tzatziki and it doesn't take long to do.
    Nothing very exciting but when I'm in a rush my brain works better with the old stand by's.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options

Spaghetti puttanesca, meaning !!!!! or prostitute, isn't just a tomato sauce. It's for Southern Italy and includes garlic, capers and olives. Straightforward tomato sauce is pasta pommedero.

Xx
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 June 2014 at 6:28PM
    Options

Puttanesca pasta sauce is just a pasta sauce with a naughty name.

According to Annarita Cuomo, writer for Il Golfo, a newspaper serving the Italian island of Ischia, sugo alla puttanesca was invented in the 1950s by Sandro Petti, co-owner of Rancio Fellone, a famous Ischian restaurant. One evening, just before closing, Petti found a group of customers sitting at one of his tables. Petti was low on ingredients and told them he didn't have enough to make them a meal. One of them said, "Facci una puttanata qualsiasi ("Make any kind of rubbish"). Puttanata is a noun meaning something worthless, derived from puttana, the Italian word for wh0re. Petti only had four tomatoes, two olives and some capers. “So I used them to make the sauce for the spaghetti,” Petti told Cuomo. Petti added anchovies, chilli flakes and garlic and put the dish on his menu as spaghetti alla puttanesca.

Would it have become so popular if he had chosen another name?
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 June 2014 at 9:41AM
    Options
    My simplest and quickest meal has to be this ...

GARLIC & OIL PASTA SAUCE (AGLIO E OLIO)

Enough for pasta for 2

INGREDIENTS

2 cloves of garlic
    2 tablespoons of olive oil

METHOD

Peel and crush the garlic.

Put the oil into a frying pan on a moderate heat. Add the garlic. Fry the garlic for about 5 minutes until it is golden brown. Stir frequently to stop it sticking.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

For Aglio e Olio Peperoncino, add ½ a teaspoon of chilli flakes.

Add 25g of fresh parsley. Wash, shake dry and finely chop the parsley. Sprinkle it over the top before serving.

Add 25g of finely chopped walnuts. Sprinkle them over the top before serving.

PS. I've seen
    Aglio e Olio Peperoncino on a restaurant menu, not in London, for £8.50! The version with walnuts is a classic Italian winter dish.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • got-it-spend-it
    got-it-spend-it Posts: 5,016 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nigella's spaghetti with marmite is much nicer than it sounds http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/SPAGHETTI-WITH-MARMITE-5306

Spaghetti with olive oil, garlic and cherry tomatoes is really quick and delicious, and you could add prawns or bacon to it too.

I also make a variety of quesadilla type things- wrap in a dry frying pan then add grated cheese, any chopped veg from the bottom of the fridge (onion or spring onion are good, as are peppers, tomatoes etc) then I like to add in some sweet chilli sauce or barbeque sauce, then put a second wrap on top and cook on both sides for 60 seconds or so. You could also add any leftover ham or cooked chicken too.

If I need a quick tea for my boys, then it is usually eggy bread or scrambled eggs on toast.
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks, I didn't think of anything like spaghetti with a simple flavour infused oil, what I great idea. I could add some prawns or chorizo into that too :)
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fish finger sandwich
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income