PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Living on $12,000 a year

Options

Comments

• Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    I did know that the exploitation was not confined to the cheap ranges. For instance the rage in beading this year has put huge pressure on 'sweat shops' for want of a better term in India to turn out all this beaded clothing whether it is for Primark or Harrods. But I have to admit that seeing clothing at such cheap prices - far cheaper than I could make it for - brought home to me the reality of how others must be suffering.

This doesn't just apply to so called 'Western' culture. Down the East End (London) the Asian shops sell beaded garments dirt cheap.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Hi Rosieben

I can see all round we have some good "minds" in on this thread. Between us all - I think we can generate some good ideas on the way forward on the clothes (and indeed -other - items we wish to buy) issues. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts - I think between us all we will come up with some useful thoughts if we keep at it.

Hello Ceridwen! :hello:

I agree absolutely, we have some interesting posts here, I'm really enjoying this thread.

At the moment I buy most of my clothes on ebay and I hope to buy more from charity shops when I've lost more weight.

Interesting to read about the different 'wardrobes' we all have - I used to have a 'working' wardrobe, a 'going out partying' wardrobe, a casual 'day in the country' wardrobe, and a 'staying in' wardrobe; now I just have a 'comfortable' wardrobe!! :rotfl:and flat shoes :rotfl:
    I'm now down to half a make up bag, used to be 3 :eek: ; my pairs of shoes are now in single figures instead of 60+ and I have 3 handbags, rather than the obscene pile that used to litter the bottom of my wardrobe!

How could I ever have convinced myself that I needed all that 'stuff'?????

I am aiming not just for frugality, but for simplicity. Thats why I love OS. :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    When I 'left' the marital home I had 2 prs of leggings, 2 teashirts 1 very posh red silk blouse (from Harrods) 1 black & 1 black check jacket, & a jumper, it's long story, I'll only tell if anyone actually wants to know, lol.
    I bought a black skirt from a charity shop & a white blouse & wore those with my 2 different jackets for a month until I got my first pay check, I then bought a 2nd white blouse.
    We had moved into a small fully furnished flat, it had crockery, but the cutlery comprised of 4 forks 2 spoons & 1 knife, we ate in relays for the 1st month until I was able to buy 3 matching knives also from a charity shop.
    I walked 2 miles to work each day & 2 miles back as I had no money for petrol.
    We had porridge for breakfast, HM veg soup for lunch & dinner everyday also until payday.
    Yes it was hard, but we got through it & to be honest I don't think the kids even realised how broke we really were.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • sharronloves2spend
    Options
    Hi ppl! I've been reading this thread with great interest, but i just popped in to say that one book i found really helpful was the 'Penny Pinchers handbook' by john and irma mustoe. It's english and and quite old, i got mine off amazon about two years ago second hand. I'ts very os and very inspiring, like an english version of tighwad gazette. Rosieben, i had the same wardrobe a while ago and like you i've scaled it down and simplified it, far easier to get dressed in the morning and there something just wrong about having THAT much stuff!!! Most of it consisted of primark and other 'Fast fashion' that wouldn't even sell at a charity shop!!! I try now to but good quality classics that will go with everthing else in my wardrobe and be satisfied with what i've got. Bye for now Sharron
    Sometimes your the dog, and sometimes your the lampost..:p
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    The same post appeared twice - doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • moanymoany
    Options
    One of the major hurdles with sweatshop made items is that the countries who are the worst offenders have no concept of the community helping each other to enable all of them to have a decent life. Too many kickbacks, too much corruption. It took a lot of people to boycott South African produce for a long time before big chains like Sainsbury's stopped using SA fruit in their cans.

I've heard people say that if the people in the countries where the sweatshops are don't care about their own people, why should we. Not the same, I know, but the debate reminds me of a programme I saw where a celebrity followed his roots back to Africa where is ancestors had been sold into slavery. He was clearly in shock, he had just discovered that the tribal leaders sold their own people to the slave dealers. His belief was that the people were 'stolen'. 'Their own people' was what he said. In many places this attitude still exists.

We in Europe live in societies with safety nets that the whole community have put in place to protect the weakest members of society. It is abused, that is inevitable, but if it wasn't there we would be in an awful state. Also, I don't think it is on to say that in the USA only a comparative few live in abject poverty. The American view of life is self sufficiency. That is good, I support that. But, we can't all do it, we don't all have the ability.

My daughter and her partner had a five month trip around Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and into Burma. It has completely changed their view of life, they were never 'throw away', but their lives now are completely different to before they went. They appreciate what they have and they have embraced thrift.

Rant over!!!!!!!! :o
  • moanymoany
    Options
    Hi ppl! I've been reading this thread with great interest, but i just popped in to say that one book i found really helpful was the 'Penny Pinchers handbook' by john and irma mustoe. It's english and and quite old, i got mine off amazon about two years ago second hand. I'ts very os and very inspiring, like an english version of tighwad gazette. Rosieben, i had the same wardrobe a while ago and like you i've scaled it down and simplified it, far easier to get dressed in the morning and there something just wrong about having THAT much stuff!!! Most of it consisted of primark and other 'Fast fashion' that wouldn't even sell at a charity shop!!! I try now to but good quality classics that will go with everthing else in my wardrobe and be satisfied with what i've got. Bye for now Sharron

Amazon don't have the Penny Pinchers Handbook. However when I googled it it came up on Play.com. It is being re-released on the 10th September. £5.99 inc postage. Is it worth buying Sharronloves2spend?
  • moanymoany
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Are you both single? If so I can think of a great way of economising - move in together to a two-bed place ;) . You seem to be like-minded, the same age, and at least one of you is prepared to relocate :D .

Hope you don't take offence at this suggestion, but I am only half joking actually :beer: .
    Posting, always posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

After the first war when so many women had to make lives for themselves, they got together to form homes. This meant that they had economies of scale with two earners and one home - usually 'rooms'. This saved many from the dreaded 'service' which was often the only alternative.

I think it is a good idea for people to get together it not only combats poverty but also lonelyness. (my spelling is to pot today!!!)
  • sharronloves2spend
    Options
    moanymoany wrote: »
    Amazon don't have the Penny Pinchers Handbook. However when I googled it it came up on Play.com. It is being re-released on the 10th September. £5.99 inc postage. Is it worth buying Sharronloves2spend?

I'm not sure if most of the stuff in it, we as oser's already do as part of our lives but very inspiring and thought-provoking. I bought it on the start of my new lifestyle and i've been through many money-saving books but this one i can't bear to part with. Why don't you try your library first? I find i read it about twice a year (usually when my 'old' habits start creeping back!!)HTH
    Sometimes your the dog, and sometimes your the lampost..:p
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Re clothes (inc. manufacture of):

http://timesonline.typepad.com/eco_worrier/2007/03/ecoworriers_war.html

interesting article there.

From this - a blog mentioned (which covers clothes refashioning):

www.nikkishell.typepad.com/wardroberefashion?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure