PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Living on $12,000 a year

Options

Comments

• Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    I've just organised my car insurance for next year & got it down from £874 to £184, thats a bit of a difference isn't it. I certainly wouldn't recommend Saga to anyone now. I'm now insured with AA.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I did know that the exploitation was not confined to the cheap ranges. For instance the rage in beading this year has put huge pressure on 'sweat shops' for want of a better term in India to turn out all this beaded clothing whether it is for Primark or Harrods. But I have to admit that seeing clothing at such cheap prices - far cheaper than I could make it for - brought home to me the reality of how others must be suffering.

You may know that but a lot of people don't.

There are very few clothes are now made with being made in a ethical way with out them being very expensive.

But most people assume cheap means sweat shop and not think about the likes of very well know brands doing the same.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry if it's been posted before and I haven't read it yet but looks interesting although it's american

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• gb57
    gb57 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    The issue with the so-called "designer" brands (what a heap of c**p they are), is that they cost peanuts to make, the workers are paid tiny sums, and they are sold in the shops for astronomical amounts. Large amounts of money goes on marketing in order to make people think this stuff is desirable. The companies that make the stuff make huge profits.

At least the really cheapy stuff (Primark etc) is sold cheaply. I think you will find that things like Nike trainers and all sorts of other stuff that is expensive actually is sourced from the same places as cheap goods. The difference is in the marketing and the media which makes it seem (to some idiots) that owning an £800 handbag, or anything that is supposedly "designer" will instantly make you a better, more beautiful, more interesting person.:rolleyes: (some of us don't need to do that, of course:rotfl: )

Another way of looking at it if you buy cheap things, is that even though the labour is cheap, in some countries what they are paid in sweat-shops is better than the alternative. I am not condoning it, mind.
  • littleowl
    littleowl Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    gb57

Your last point is one that hasn't really been addressed and is also something that concerns me.

How can we make a difference to the lives of people in third world countries who are being paid so disgracefully poorly? We can refuse to buy goods that are produced in this way it is true - but if we do then they will not even have have the chance of so meagre a living.

It will take a huge change in our Western thinking to force manufacturers to pay them a decent wage - and merely not buying the goods will not do that. I am aware that 'Fair Trade' goods are addressing this question but that is only scratching the tip of the problem.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Are you both single? If so I can think of a great way of economising - move in together to a two-bed place ;) . You seem to be like-minded, the same age, and at least one of you is prepared to relocate :D .

Hope you don't take offence at this suggestion, but I am only half joking actually :beer: .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi littleowl

Couldnt agree more! All suggestions welcome on this one. According to my calculations - I doubt whether I will need to buy any more clothes for about the next 5 years - but I may be proved wrong on that one and would like an easier conscience whenever I eventually do have to buy clothes again. Would like to know what ways we could put pressure on shops - besides the vote with our feet for what fairtrade clothing there is so far (which is few and far between - and a lot of what there is so far seems to be in the dearer priceranges. Not all - as I have seen a few items in a certain VERY well-known High Street store which better be nameless - but one has to really search them out).

Have noticed swapping parties are starting up - for people to exchange clothes with each other that they already have - though think this is, at moment, in bigger centres only - like London. Swap parties are also being used for other goods too I see. I imagine this is a trend which will spread - it sounds quite promising and a fun thing to do to me - and I can see ways that swapping idea could develop from there.
  • gb57
    gb57 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Like many others I am a great user of charity shops, though I do also buy new sometimes. Mind you, I have had some of my clothes for 20 years (if you keep them long enough they come back into fashion......)

I do give some stuff to charity shops, as well, what goes around..
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Rosieben

Notice you have just popped in. Look - I can see all round we have some good "minds" in on this thread. Between us all - I think we can generate some good ideas on the way forward on the clothes (and indeed -other - items we wish to buy) issues. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts - I think between us all we will come up with some useful thoughts if we keep at it.
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is turning into a very thought provoking and interesting thread.
    Like others I have not bought any new clothes [except shoes and undies] since OH was made redundant 2 years ago [prior to that 75-80% of my stuff came from charity shops]. I do this not just for the cost and the belief that I can buy better quality second hand but also for the environmental [25% of fashion items are now sent to landfill at the end of each season:eek: ] and for the humane aspect. Like many others we live on a very modest salary and need to economise carefully. It helps I suppose that I've never been very materialistic and always thrifty. We don't drive a new vehicle and repair items wherever possible [OH was rethreading the rotary drier for me yesterday] We also do all our own DIY and I make do and mend. My small person has a lot of good quality hand me downs from his cousin and has learnt to budget fantastically with his pocket money. I am amazed at the bargains he finds in the charity shops. I appreciate this may all change when he becomes older but I hope I've given him a good grounding in budgeting.
    When I look at how lucky I am and how stressed and ill some of my contemporaries are making themselves trying to keep up the payments on the big mortgage and lifestyle I'd stick with my lifestyle choice everytime.
    Thanks for all your contributions.
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure