MSE News: Airlines should pay compensation for technical fault delays, judges rule

The Court of Appeal has today ruled that passengers can claim compensation for flight delays caused by technical faults...
Read the full story:

Airlines should pay compensation for technical fault delays, judges rule
OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• karen50karen50 Forumite
    10 Posts
    I was delayed 24 hours 49 minutes in May 2014 have written to Thomson and I am awaiting a response.

Karen
  • Star9272Star9272 Forumite
    99 Posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    Jet2 has said it will be continuing its efforts to overturn the judgement.
    Please advise does this mean more delay?
    What happens to claims in the interim?
  • MarkBargainMarkBargain Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    The judgement will be ignored, won't it? I have twice written to Ryanair about a 6.5 hour delay last year, but both times they refused to pay compensation as it was due to a technical fault. Is it really worth the postage stamps to write a third time? They will just reject I suspect.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The judgement will be ignored, won't it? I have twice written to Ryanair about a 6.5 hour delay last year, but both times they refused to pay compensation as it was due to a technical fault. Is it really worth the postage stamps to write a third time? They will just reject I suspect.

Of course they will reject it again. They know full well that many people will just give up at that point, and the airline gets to keep the money.

If you want to progress the claim, you need to escalate it.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • VaubanVauban Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ectophile wrote: »
    Of course they will reject it again. They know full well that many people will just give up at that point, and the airline gets to keep the money.

Quite. But as Mr. Huzar has just given every claimant an ace in the hole with today's judgement, why wouldn't you simply start court action? Sometimes we have to do a little work to get what you're owed ...
  • PorcupinePorcupine Forumite
    682 Posts
    Ectophile wrote: »

That rather depends that the people you need to escalate it to are paying attention. If your Ryanair flight back from Faliraki was delayed are the Greek CAA, who are the relevant regulator for that route, likely to be interested when they're subject to widespread budget cuts and strikes due to the Greek economic situation? I suspect answering pesky consumer complaints probably comes low down the list, compared with getting enough air traffic controllers to show up each day to keep the planes flying.
  • What is needed is some kind website to publish a list of flights/dates for which compensation has already been awarded to avoid some people getting it and some not for the same flight.
  • duchyduchy Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is needed is some kind website to publish a list of flights/dates for which compensation has already been awarded to avoid some people getting it and some not for the same flight.

For just all the UK airports -or the entire EU ?
    Who do you think should be collating this info - and who should be paying for the manhours and server space to create such a huge website and maintain it ? And what is in it for anyone who does ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • VaubanVauban Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is needed is some kind website to publish a list of flights/dates for which compensation has already been awarded to avoid some people getting it and some not for the same flight.

Why? Airlines can choose to settle without liability, and most pay-outs are probably done on this basis without it formally going all the way to court. And when it does, it sets no precedent. So it would not only be a huge effort (as Duchy rightly notes) but wouldn't be all that useful.

I am afraid the only way to progress your claim is to chase it down yourself and not loiter in the hopes that others will clear a path for you!

(Though we should all thank Mr. Huzar, whose efforts yesterday have done a huge amount to help folks out in this regard.)
  • What is happening with people (like me) who were rejected by the airline for a technical fault even though we were delayed for 26 hours? Do we just sit and wait to see what the Supreme court rules on the matter?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals